ESPN Q&A with Justin Thomas

thwgjacket

Say what you want, but I think a big part of why Vad left was this guy breathing down his neck for playing time. We now have a guy who is more of the Greg Hill, Tracy Ham and, God forbid I say it, Joe Hamilton type athlete.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. Nothing earth shattering, but there's little things here and there that you look for in a leader. He's not cocky but he's confident and optimistic. Really good dodge on the Vad question.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Say what you want, but I think a big part of why Vad left was this guy breathing down his neck for playing time. We now have a guy who is more of the Greg Hill, Tracy Ham and, God forbid I say it, Joe Hamilton type athlete.

Vad left because he didn't like PJ's offense and couldn't operate in it being flustered with the general crummy blocking he got alot of the time. He was simply a fish out of water in it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know many of us (myself included) are extremely excited to see JT lead this offense. That said, I hope this discussion doesn't take some sort of "VL vs. JT leadership" turn based on interview answers. I thought that while VL was here, he gave some of the best interviews from a GT athlete ever. He was spot on with leadership-speak, and very complimentary of his teammates.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
What are you looking to improve upon most?

JT: Just getting out there and making sure I’m going through my reads, my progressions, making sure of ball security, just trying to make the offense flow how it’s supposed to flow.

I love that answer. Hopefully JT understands he doesn't have to be a super hero and to get the ball to his teammates. Then the defense will forget about him and you can strike up the band.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I hear through various secondary sources that JT has a lot of support from his teammates. I didn't always hear that about VL and wondered, assuming there was even any truth to it, if that was a factor in his decision to play elsewhere.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you hear negative things or did you just not hear anything at all about Vad? It seemed to me like he was a tremendous leader but just wasn't a good fit. There are those who like contact and those who don't.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Did you hear negative things or did you just not hear anything at all about Vad?
Its not that I heard negative things about Vad but I would hear good things about the relationship between JT and the team but, in the same conversation, there would be no mention of the relationship between the team and VL. So it was kind of like not hearing the 2nd shoe drop.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Did you hear negative things or did you just not hear anything at all about Vad? It seemed to me like he was a tremendous leader but just wasn't a good fit. There are those who like contact and those who don't.

I agree with this.

A lot of players loved Vad and a lot love JT...they are all behing whoever leads this team.

A lot of guys like JT due to his laid back type of personality.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
This could be off, but I think some players like the fact that JT isn't all rah rah and vocal. He just goes out there and does his thing. Basically, actions > words. Not to say Vad was just a bunch of talk, but he did seem to be much more vocal than JT and his performance wasn't necessarily backing it up.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have also heard from a good source that there are many players, especially some of the younger, hungry guys, that really like JT and what he brings to the table.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
Its not that I heard negative things about Vad but I would hear good things about the relationship between JT and the team but, in the same conversation, there would be no mention of the relationship between the team and VL. So it was kind of like not hearing the 2nd shoe drop.
Thanks for explaining. It certainly bodes well for JT and gets me excited for the future.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
JT's demeanor reminds me a lot of Nesbitt's, doesn't say much, doesn't get that excited, leads by example, etc. If he has half of Nesbitt's toughness we will be alright with him as our QB/leader.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that JT doesn't have to be a vocal leader. He will lead by his actions. He's a RSSoph, so beyond personality and position, he's still kind of young. However, someone does need to be a vocal leader, and it needs to be a starter that plays many minutes. I could seen Synjyn or Laskey speaking out on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe one of the linemen (although they're pretty young too). Ironically, both because of # of snaps and time on the team, I could see Smelter stepping up as a vocal leader this year. I don't know the personalities, so I don't know who's likely to get in someone's face and hold them accountable.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
ball security !!!

Good luck to the kid I look forward to seeing what he'll bring to the table.

thwgjacket

Vad left because he didn't like PJ's offense and couldn't operate in it being flustered with the general crummy blocking he got alot of the time. He was simply a fish out of water in it.
Didn't say the only reason Vad left was JT. Your comment is correct too. Just saying put yourself in Vad's shoes. The year you just had was not good and you've got a guy more suited for our offense right behind you. And that guy already beat you out for some snaps. Guarantee it weighed on his decision.