ESPN Notes on GT

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lots of tidbits on GT following our big win.

Looks like they're coming around on who the real Tech is:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74832/what-we-learned-in-the-acc-week-4-5

We were high on the wrong Tech. OK, it was tough to hype Georgia Tech too much. The Yellow Jackets have trailed in each of their four games thus far, and even against Virginia Tech on Saturday, they were outgained (424 to 375), had fewer first downs (24 to 19) and converted just 4-of-12 third downs. But the Georgia Tech D made plays when it had to, and the offense cashed in with 17 points off turnovers. So maybe instead of nitpicking the Jackets’ flaws thus far, we should’ve been noting how well they’d overcome them. Justin Thomas has Georgia Tech at 4-0, and with home dates against Miami and Duke, there’s a perfect opportunity for the Jackets to take command of the Coastal.

JeT gets a helmet sticker (first of I'm sure MANY to come for him). Smelter also gets a mention:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74821/acc-helmet-stickers-week-4-5

Georgia Tech quarterback Justin Thomas: Thomas' numbers will not jump off the page as a passer: He completed 7 of 18 throws for 125 yards and a touchdown during the Yellow Jackets' 27-24 win over Virginia Tech. His rushing numbers were much better: 22 carries for 165 yards and another touchdown. But Thomas made plays when it mattered most, leading yet another game-winning drive and helping the Yellow Jackets snap a four-game losing streak against Virginia Tech. Thomas bounced back from a rough start throwing (he lost a fumble as well) and completed 4 of his final 7 passes, relying heavily down the stretch on DeAndre Smelter (5 catches, 101 yards, TD), who himself deserves plenty of recognition in this space now. For all of its troubles, Georgia Tech is now 4-0 and in great position in the Coastal race, having fended off the Hokies on the road.

Last one is just funny (unless you're VT):

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/74791/a-virginia-tech-t-has-been-stolen-again

Cam

Helluva Engineer

LibertyTurns

Banned

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion, but lighten-up friends, The conference seems extremely competitive this year. If there's a parity, there doesn't need to be much change for a radical change in ranking.

slugboy

Staff member
these guys are effed up. Pitt goes from 4 to 5, arrow UP trending better????

How do we jump UVA? They play a tough BYU team on road and hang with them. They stay behind Pitt who lost at home to Iowa???

Ok, I have no love for the U, but 11th??? They really think the U is worse than NcSt?
The Pitt ranking makes sense. I'm surprised we moved all the way to #4, but what does a power ranking mean in week 4 anyway? The up arrow for Pitt means that their team seems to be improving; it's just that we "improved" more. The comments about VT are unfair--they've got a solid D, and their offense ran into a D that started playing well (and that should be the biggest change in our "ranking"). Miami at 11 makes no sense.

Sagarin has us in about the same area as VPI, UM, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, and NCST in the 41-60 range. It has Duke, VPI, UM, and Syracuse ahead of us (and East Carolina almost tied with us). I think we moved up and VPI moved down a bit, but I can't find last weeks ratings, so I'm not sure how much.

Wrecker1990

Georgia Tech Fan
The Pitt ranking makes sense. I'm surprised we moved all the way to #4, but what does a power ranking mean in week 4 anyway? The up arrow for Pitt means that their team seems to be improving; it's just that we "improved" more. The comments about VT are unfair--they've got a solid D, and their offense ran into a D that started playing well (and that should be the biggest change in our "ranking"). Miami at 11 makes no sense.

Sagarin has us in about the same area as VPI, UM, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, and NCST in the 41-60 range. It has Duke, VPI, UM, and Syracuse ahead of us (and East Carolina almost tied with us). I think we moved up and VPI moved down a bit, but I can't find last weeks ratings, so I'm not sure how much.
We went from 51 to 49. They went from 32 to 42.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Miami is awful, Duke is overrated, UNC is terrible and NC State and Pitt are average at best...the only team I'm worried about is Clemson and Florida St ;) THWG!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Sagarin means nothing at this point in the season. That ranking needs data, and not just power conference vs FCS or power conference vs Sun Belt data to be effective. Nearing the end of every season I prefer Sagarin to any voter based polls.

slugboy

Staff member
Sagarin means nothing at this point in the season. That ranking needs data, and not just power conference vs FCS or power conference vs Sun Belt data to be effective. Nearing the end of every season I prefer Sagarin to any voter based polls.
I agree--it's not that precise for a few more weeks, but it's at least more objective than armchair power rankings. It's also a nice hint that we might be underrating some teams.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
One that sticks out in my mind was I believe '91 against NC St. It was a wet day and played them close. Shawn Jones threw a long pass to someone, can't remember who, with a couple of seconds left on the clock to get down in field goal range in the North end zone. Sisson came in and did his usual to win it for us.