ESPN list of 5 make or break coaches for 2014 (CPJ mentioned)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You have to look beyond record to see the signs. If I have to point them out it means you can't see them for yourself so it doesn't really matter.

Gee, I'd can't see the signs either. The record is the bottom line. Other teams are evolving and getting better too.

We saw our D and ST get better last year, but the O get worse. At the margins we may do better than the 40th finish last year, but then again it may be worse. This graph shows we are just bouncing around from a really sucky 71st finish four years ago. The standard should be staying in the top 10 for 6 consecutive years like Bobby Dodd did. {:hyperbole but we should do a hell of a lot better}

Attachments

• GT 2006 to 2014 Recruiting and Power Rankings.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 6

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On second thought, I think I'll point out the positives. Not for you, but for anybody else reading this thread who might actually have an open mind on the subject.

1. Recruiting. By ranking measures, it's not improving, but I don't subscribe to that. There's lots of guys who fall through the cracks of the star system and it's anybody's guess if we've nabbed our share. Imo, we did this go 'round.

On to more tangible things, we've basically done a 180 in recruiting philosophy since CPJ got here. Originally, he believe we should recruit the state primarily. I think he's learned that that's a fools errand. Kids have to fit GT first, be able to play ball second. Unfortunately, the vast majority of home grown prospects fail the first measure. Now you can see a heavy dose of out of state recruiting with an emphasis on private schools and it's starting to pay off. It's a sign of learning and adapting. These things take time. GT ain't like everywhere else, it takes time to learn what it takes to win in this unique environment.

Secondly, he's expanded the recruiting staff. With a new emphasis on out of state recruiting, it's gonna take more guys to cover the territory and now we have it. Adding Joe Hamilton was as big a coup as we could have had in this department.

Thirdly, with his impressive graduation rates, he's earned a longer leash from the hill wrt exceptions. This should net us 5 - 10 more difference makers over a 5 yr span which could well be the difference needed to get us over the hump in close games.

2. Defense. Defense has been our Achilles Heel ever since CPJ's arrival on the flats. CPJ has learned you cannot outscore everybody. After two failed DC's, it appears we've finally got the guy we need in place. Ted Roof has everything we need at DC: the knowledge, the motivation, the work ethic, the desire that comes from being a former letterman and he's a helluva recruiter. He also brought Pelton along with him which is a score for recruiting as well.

3. QB. I know the departure of Vad Lee makes this seem out of place, but I believe he's finally attracting and landing the premier guys needed to get our already highly productive offense to the next level. Vad lacked buy in. He had just about everything else. Justin is just as talented, imo, but I think his heart is all in. If not, we still are in good shape with Byerly and the crown jewel of the most recent class - Matthew Jordan.

4. OL. Yes we just lost some guys with experience, but we have better athletes on the way. They might be young, but they're big and talented and have a higher upside than the last bunch and I can't wait to see what they can do in the trenches in the coming years.

5. Academics. No need to expand here only to say it's a must and it's never been a problem under his leadership. Some guys might disregard it, but GT is a special place and requires special students. Notice I did not say athletes and that's because our athletes have to be students first. Something that got lost along the way at 99% of colleges across the country.

Now I admit I'm optimistic, but I'm a fan damn it and a damn proud one toboot. I'm ready for some Yellow Jacket Football and can't wait for toe to meet leather! THWG!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
On second thought, I think I'll point out the positives. Not for you, but for anybody else reading this thread who might actually have an open mind on the subject.

1. Recruiting. By ranking measures, it's not improving, but I don't subscribe to that. There's lots of guys who fall through the cracks of the star system and it's anybody's guess if we've nabbed our share. Imo, we did this go 'round.

On to more tangible things, we've basically done a 180 in recruiting philosophy since CPJ got here. Originally, he believe we should recruit the state primarily. I think he's learned that that's a fools errand. Kids have to fit GT first, be able to play ball second. Unfortunately, the vast majority of home grown prospects fail the first measure. Now you can see a heavy dose of out of state recruiting with an emphasis on private schools and it's starting to pay off. It's a sign of learning and adapting. These things take time. GT ain't like everywhere else, it takes time to learn what it takes to win in this unique environment.

Secondly, he's expanded the recruiting staff. With a new emphasis on out of state recruiting, it's gonna take more guys to cover the territory and now we have it. Adding Joe Hamilton was as big a coup as we could have had in this department.

Thirdly, with his impressive graduation rates, he's earned a longer leash from the hill wrt exceptions. This should net us 5 - 10 more difference makers over a 5 yr span which could well be the difference needed to get us over the hump in close games.

2. Defense. Defense has been our Achilles Heel ever since CPJ's arrival on the flats. CPJ has learned you cannot outscore everybody. After two failed DC's, it appears we've finally got the guy we need in place. Ted Roof has everything we need at DC: the knowledge, the motivation, the work ethic, the desire that comes from being a former letterman and he's a helluva recruiter. He also brought Pelton along with him which is a score for recruiting as well.

3. QB. I know the departure of Vad Lee makes this seem out of place, but I believe he's finally attracting and landing the premier guys needed to get our already highly productive offense to the next level. Vad lacked buy in. He had just about everything else. Justin is just as talented, imo, but I think his heart is all in. If not, we still are in good shape with Byerly and the crown jewel of the most recent class - Matthew Jordan.

4. OL. Yes we just lost some guys with experience, but we have better athletes on the way. They might be young, but they're big and talented and have a higher upside than the last bunch and I can't wait to see what they can do in the trenches in the coming years.

5. Academics. No need to expand here only to say it's a must and it's never been a problem under his leadership. Some guys might disregard it, but GT is a special place and requires special students. Notice I did not say athletes and that's because our athletes have to be students first. Something that got lost along the way at 99% of colleges across the country.

Now I admit I'm optimistic, but I'm a fan damn it and a damn proud one toboot. I'm ready for some Yellow Jacket Football and can't wait for toe to meet leather! THWG!
Thank you - well said! #GoJackets - Sting 'em!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
6. Bback. Mixing the proven workhorse veteran Laskey with the highly touted freshman rookie Custis will return the marquee position to it's proper status with a mix of consistency and big play potential. The position will be further enhanced due to a defense split on who to key on with the ever dangerous Justin Thomas at signal caller.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
6. Bback. Mixing the proven workhorse veteran Laskey with the highly touted freshman rookie Custis will return the marquee position to it's proper status with a mix of consistency and big play potential. The position will be further enhanced due to a defense split on who to key on with the ever dangerous Justin Thomas at signal caller.

I'm excited about Custis. The problem that I foresee is when we play Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, and UGA, they will likely utilize the same strategy they've been using on us. That is, they'll always assign the interior guy to take the dive and stop the B-back. If we're running the TO on that play, that means Justin pulls the ball and takes it to the outside...but that's what they've wanted us to do. They believe their outside guys are faster than our guys and, if they can get us to run laterally, they'll eventually run us down. Often, those teams have used the corner to come in and stop the pitch to the A-back and force the QB to keep the ball as well, turning the play back in away from the sidelines and back towards more defenders.

If Justin is truly able to make them pay by using his speed and is able to gain some yards when they do this, we might stand a chance at beating one of those 4 this year. Otherwise, it's wash, rinse, repeat.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I wish you sold recruiting football players to GT as well as you're trying to sell the state of the program...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about Custis. The problem that I foresee is when we play Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, and UGA, they will likely utilize the same strategy they've been using on us. That is, they'll always assign the interior guy to take the dive and stop the B-back. If we're running the TO on that play, that means Justin pulls the ball and takes it to the outside...but that's what they've wanted us to do. They believe their outside guys are faster than our guys and, if they can get us to run laterally, they'll eventually run us down. Often, those teams have used the corner to come in and stop the pitch to the A-back and force the QB to keep the ball as well, turning the play back in away from the sidelines and back towards more defenders.

If Justin is truly able to make them pay by using his speed and is able to gain some yards when they do this, we might stand a chance at beating one of those 4 this year. Otherwise, it's wash, rinse, repeat.
Hopefully Custis can make defenses pay for putting one guy on him. Even if he doesn't take it to the house, a steady diet of chains in motion will cause defenses to divert more resources to the dive. But it's really a team effort on the dive as it is on any play. It takes a perfectly executed mesh, read, and blocking upfront. Let's hope we can use the first 3 games to drill it to perfection with the new guys.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, but did YOU watch the VT game last year?
Yes, the defense had been the more predominant issue overall but we have certainly had games where we lost because the offense couldn't score. The bowl game versus Ole Miss is another example.
Given those two examples, are you saying we should pass less?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your original statement was:

Besides being snide and condescending, your statement implies that our offense hasn't been the problem with our record over the last few years. Of our 6 losses last year, I pointed out that 2 of them were games in which the offense played really poorly and yes, they were primarily the ones to blame for the loss IMO in that game.

I've never tried to be transparent about it. I don't like Paul Johnson as our coach. I don't like the triple option offense...I find it incredibly boring to watch and I think it's outdated and very very difficult to recruit upper tier players to come play in the offense. But those are just my opinions.

I was also asked by another poster what I thought was so different about Oregon/Auburn's spread offense versus ours and I answered that question honestly as well. You may not like my opinion or agree with it; that's your prerogative.

And finally, I am very much aware of how horrible our defense has been for almost the entire tenure Johnson has been the coach. In 2009, when we won the ACC championship, we did out by outscoring teams because we couldn't stop anyone. 2008 was pretty much a similar story because our defense was bad then as well. But we have had our share of bad offensive games during Johnson's tenure as well. Hell, in 2009 when we had the best team under him that we've ever had, we couldn't do crap against Iowa in the bowl game. In 2008, I had to sit in the Georgia Dome and watch LSU beat the living hell out of us and we were only able to score 3 points against them.

I mean, if we really want to play this game, we lost 4 games in 2008 that were the offense's fault (Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, and LSU).
In 2009, we lost two for which the offense was to blame (Miami and Iowa).
In 2010, the offense was the culprit in four games (Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Air Force). You could potentially make the claim that the Kansas loss was equally on the offense and the defense that year.
In 2011, 3 losses (Virginia, Miami, and Georgia).
In 2012, (Virginia Tech, BYU, Georgia, Florida State). In fairness, BYU was a beatdown on both sides of the ball that day.

But even though we can do that exercise, I think it's fruitless and stupid, to be honest. I don't generally put blame on offense or defense for a game. Wins are team wins and losses are team losses. If you win because your offense was able to score 52 and the other team scored 51, then your team did what it needed to do to win. Conversely, if the offense is only able to score 7 but the defense holds the other team to 6, then your team did what it needed to do to win.

I seem to remember Special Team play as being a contributor to some of the losses you attributed to the offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

This is what I was talking about. Our offensive scheme has not been the problem in most of those games. No matter how many times you suggest it, the facts won't change.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what I was talking about. Our offensive scheme has not been the problem in most of those games. No matter how many times you suggest it, the facts won't change.

You're obviously right and I am wrong. We absolutely KICKED *** in that bowl game offensively against Ole Miss. </sarcasm>

Truth is, we absolutely sucked offensively in that game. And in the bowl game versus Air Force. And in quite a few other games. No matter how many times you suggest it, the facts won't change.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're obviously right and I am wrong. We absolutely KICKED *** in that bowl game offensively against Ole Miss. </sarcasm>

Truth is, we absolutely sucked offensively in that game. And in the bowl game versus Air Force. And in quite a few other games. No matter how many times you suggest it, the facts won't change.

Smh. Thank you for again affirming my earlier post about serious conversation. I apologize to you for not following my own advice.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Smh. Thank you for again affirming my earlier post about serious conversation. I apologize to you for not following my own advice.

You really are all in. Like there is nothing else to say, CPJ and his flexbone offense are perfect for GT. There is no other offense that will work at GT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only way the offense is going to change is for the coach to change. That's not happening this year, for sure. It probably won't happen next year either (unless there's a total melt down, a la 1994).

I don't see what continuously denegrating the offense (read:coach) accomplishes, and, for me personally, the constant negativity is a drag.

I don't think anyone is defending our performance as a team lately, but the offense hasn't typically been the issue. There are specific games where we didn't perform, but overall the offense has put up the points. What the offense has failed to do (in my opinion), is make the big play when it was needed. Whether that was to make a couple of first downs to run out the clock (VT 2012) or get into scoring position at the end of the game in order to win it (UGA 2013, UGA 2009, UGA 2012, etc.). I don't think the offense has been clutch, but of the three aspects of football, it's been the most dependable.

Personally, I want to see all three aspects of the game improve for GT. I am optimistic (not confident) that this will happen in 2014 I believe if can happen.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You really are all in. Like there is nothing else to say, CPJ and his flexbone offense are perfect for GT. There is no other offense that will work at GT.

No. I responded to a post that made claims about our performance against four teams as if our offensive scheme had been the problem. The facts do not support that suggestion. In response, @daBuzz switches topics and accuses me of making claims about two games against two other teams.

Here, you also are putting words in my mouth. Serious conversation, imo, requires letting each person speak for themselves.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No. I responded to a post that made claims about our performance against four teams as if our offensive scheme had been the problem. The facts do not support that suggestion. In response, @daBuzz switches topics and accuses me of making claims about two games against two other teams.

Here, you also are putting words in my mouth. Serious conversation, imo, requires letting each person speak for themselves.

Whoah there, big fella! Talk about putting words in someone else's mouth.

Go back and read all my posts in this thread. In one post, I very clearly stated that I didn't think the offense was the primary problem with our record over the past few years. And that I thought the defense had been atrocious during CPJ's entire tenure. I then went on to say that IN CERTAIN GAMES OUR OFFENSE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM THOUGH.

Now you can continue to play the part of Don Quixote and tilt endlessly against the windmill of "Our offense isn't the problem" but you'd be dead wrong in certain games. But please stop putting words into my mouth that I didn't say and then accusing me of changing the subject or not wanting to carry on a serious conversation just because you keep repeating the same mantra.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Whoah there, big fella! Talk about putting words in someone else's mouth.

Go back and read all my posts in this thread. In one post, I very clearly stated that I didn't think the offense was the primary problem with our record over the past few years. And that I thought the defense had been atrocious during CPJ's entire tenure. I then went on to say that IN CERTAIN GAMES OUR OFFENSE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM THOUGH.

Now you can continue to play the part of Don Quixote and tilt endlessly against the windmill of "Our offense isn't the problem" but you'd be dead wrong in certain games. But please stop putting words into my mouth that I didn't say and then accusing me of changing the subject or not wanting to carry on a serious conversation just because you keep repeating the same mantra.

I apologized. I won't make the same mistake again.