ESPN Interview with CPJ

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I think TM lost confidence during the year and started trying to do it by himself. I hope he learned from last year and we will see great improvement in 2018. I expect his ability to handle reads better with the experience gained last year

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Lost confidence? In himself? He started in game 1 trying to do it all himself. If anything, he didn't show confidence in his teammates. It won't be last year's experience that will make him better. It will be a ton of film study and a heavy dose of CPJ showing him where he was missing reads. And hopefully Lucas Johnson and Tobias Oliver will be applying maximum pressure. Maybe he can show what a leader he is like MJ was last fall when he was told that the role he would be playing wasn't going to be what he expected.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm optimistic about next year, similar to how I was optimistic about 2016. We lost 4 games that we had a lead of 2 scores in. That's very rare

Not as rare as you might think under CPJ. I can think of a ton of games we lost with multi score leads (2012 Miami, 2013 Georgia)...several others we’ve almost blown (2014 Southern). There’s more...I remember making a post about this in the 2013 season, but I don’t feel like going through the pain of looking them all up.

It’s something I’ve had a hard time understanding. It seems like we are built to win when we have multi score leads...ball control offense and all...but for some reason we have blown them...a LOT.

That said, I’m optimistic too. I think the D improves greatly from increased aggression and and the offense marginally improves and we get 8-9 wins.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe he can show what a leader he is like MJ was last fall when he was told that the role he would be playing wasn't going to be what he expected.
Yeah, the guy was such a leader he decided to quit rather than man up and compete for the job.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Lost confidence? In himself? He started in game 1 trying to do it all himself. If anything, he didn't show confidence in his teammates. It won't be last year's experience that will make him better. It will be a ton of film study and a heavy dose of CPJ showing him where he was missing reads. And hopefully Lucas Johnson and Tobias Oliver will be applying maximum pressure. Maybe he can show what a leader he is like MJ was last fall when he was told that the role he would be playing wasn't going to be what he expected.
He didnt miss many reads in the tenn game really only thr pitch read on the 2 pt. They were giving keep reads all game

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What you really mean is injured his foot came in to a game we were losing moved

Doug
Let me add.

I think he had shoulder injury as well. Early in season i asked his dad how was his shoulder and he said close to ready. Dad could have meant foot but i dont think so because i also asked about passing.
In the first game where mj got reps, he would hit the hole but did not drive thru. He also would roll his body as he was going to the ground.

I think w foot shojlder injury and 2 rising freshmen qb back ups he realized he was not rsally able to help the team.

Doug, slapping a shell sbocked soldier got Patton put in time out. I assume u didnt know aboug the injuries ☺

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
To me he seems much more elusive and dynamic in the running game. And that's 80% of what we do. So lets say for example Lucas Johnson could complete 62.1% of his passes, just to make an easy number that is 25% higher than Marshall. That would only give Johnson a decided advantage on 25% of the 20% of our plays. That's 5% of the plays we run. Yes this is a massive oversimplification. But being able to complete passes on 5% more of our plays is not necessarily enough to overcome what may be a material advantage on all the rest of the plays which are rushes of some sort.
What percentage of our pass plays come on third and 4th down? I’d take a 25% improvement there.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Certainly Taquon can get better. That said--and please note that I did say it--the QB in this offense does not play in a vacuum. He is instructed to avoid turning the ball over by keeping if he has any doubt about a pitch being open. So if the blocking breaks down the QB tends to keep the ball on an ineffective play. This makes it look like it's his fault for not distributing the ball better, and it's frustrating as a fan to watch in real time.

Often, going back, one sees the QB kept the ball to not risk a turnover. Of course, one also sees plays where "it was there" and the ball should have been distributed. In the end, I thought Marshall did a respectable job overall for a first year QB. But absolutely he can improve. So can the pass pro, the receivers, etc.

It seems like when we break in a new BB we get some fumbles that cost us. Benson had a few earlier in the season, then got much better with his ball security. It's amazing to think with a little bit better D, a few more made kicks, a few more made reads, a few less early season fumbles, etc. we would have had a much, much better record.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
TaQuan's biggest flaw is his happy feet, he takes off running too early/rolls out if the pocket too early. Luckily this is something that can be fixed just with experience and playing. It is one of the major downsides to cross training QBs at other positions, he has a RB mentality that he needs to overcome. Nobody can know for sure but I feel like his mental checklist on a lot of his roll out throws goes: 1st read -> Running Lane -> Second read -> scramble/throw a prayer. If he goes to his second read earlier or trusts his first one I think the numbers will go up.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
TaQuan's biggest flaw is his happy feet, he takes off running too early/rolls out if the pocket too early. Luckily this is something that can be fixed just with experience and playing. It is one of the major downsides to cross training QBs at other positions, he has a RB mentality that he needs to overcome. Nobody can know for sure but I feel like his mental checklist on a lot of his roll out throws goes: 1st read -> Running Lane -> Second read -> scramble/throw a prayer. If he goes to his second read earlier or trusts his first one I think the numbers will go up.

Actually most of our passing concepts are 1st read, run, second read. That is a staple of the the run and shoot passing concepts.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
What you really mean is injured his foot came in to a game we were losing moved the ball on 5 consecutive carries then re injured that same foot and it turned out to be career ending
It wasn't career ending. He was told he'd be able to compete for the starting job in 2018 but unless something significant changed, Marshall was the guy and Johnson would be in the mix. Jordan then quit.

I'm sick of Jordan's amen corner constantly trashing Marshall on here when anybody close to the program knows we started the right guy last year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't career ending. He was told he'd be able to compete for the starting job in 2018 but unless something significant changed, Marshall was the guy and Johnson would be in the mix. Jordan then quit.

I'm sick of Jordan's amen corner constantly trashing Marshall on here when anybody close to the program knows we started the right guy last year.

Mate jordan already had his degree. Maybe he lost a step and realised that he didn't have a future playing football. That makes the injury career ending. He made the decision in a walking boot.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Why does being in the corner of one athlete mean you are trashing another? I'm responding to you because I believe that you are trashing Jordan by calling him a quitter. Making the best decision for your health does not make you a quitter. Deciding to take your degree that you came to Georgia Tech to get and going out into the market place to get a job does not make you a quitter. Using football to your advantage and not letting football use you does not make you a quitter. Deciding that you would rather start your future sooner rather than later does not make you a quitter. Deciding to forgo playing one more season of major college football at one of the most rigorous academic institutions in the world while managing a lifelong disease that eventually contributes to the death of tens of thousands of people annually does not make you a quitter.

I support Matthew Jordan and I support Taquon Marshall and I support Lucas Johnson, and Tobias Oliver and all Tech athletes that dare to take on the responsibilities of football and school.

Deleted member 2897

I support Matthew Jordan and I support Taquon Marshall and I support Lucas Johnson, and Tobias Oliver and all Tech athletes that dare to take on the responsibilities of football and school.

If you (general you directed at the audience) were/are a student athlete from Tech, then you've earned the right to criticize whatever you want. But honest to pete, I probably would have failed out had I tried to work a full time job (playing a sport) while I was at Tech. Constructive criticism is good, but relentless positivity people!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually most of our passing concepts are 1st read, run, second read. That is a staple of the the run and shoot passing concepts.
Yes, and a lot of us (i.e. me, among others) keep forgetting this. A notorious complaint around here is that our QBs only make one read. It's helpful to be reminded that this is how a run-and-shoot passing game usually works. Since the opposing Ds are normally all "OMG! OMG! He's gonna throw!" and immediately back up to cover lanes when our QB drops back, it isn't surprising at all that we often end up with a QB keeper on a designed pass play. Or running draws, for that matter.

That said, it is imperative that TaQuon get more comfortable with his throws. But that's largely a matter of quicker reads and getting used to passing under pressure; i.e. experience. Having the same OL for more then 3 games would help too, of course.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I only hope we can complain about TaQuon averaging over 100 yards rushing a game and 27 total TDs again this year. LOL.
Yesssss. We need to remember what we give up when we get what we ask for. TaQuon is a great runner. I want him get better throwing the ball (and I'm dead certain he wants that too), but … running the ball and making the reads comes first.