ESPN Acquiring FOX was Huge for the ACC

GTFLETCH

Banned
Disney is buying 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion, part of the deal includes all 22 of Fox’s Regional Sports Networks, which is a huge double down on live sports content.

In the short term, these networks will help boost ESPN’s viewership and Nielsen numbers(expect your local Fox Sports to rebranded soon). But in the long term, ESPN has plenty of options to satisfy the looming ACC Network commitment. Earlier this year, we were told that a linear ACC Network would launch by 2019, giving ESPN yet another collegiate network. These new deals solidify what that network could look like.

Link
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2017/...cuse-was-right-to-move-to-acc-football-rights

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Disney is buying 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion, part of the deal includes all 22 of Fox’s Regional Sports Networks, which is a huge double down on live sports content.

In the short term, these networks will help boost ESPN’s viewership and Nielsen numbers(expect your local Fox Sports to rebranded soon). But in the long term, ESPN has plenty of options to satisfy the looming ACC Network commitment. Earlier this year, we were told that a linear ACC Network would launch by 2019, giving ESPN yet another collegiate network. These new deals solidify what that network could look like.

Link
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2017/...cuse-was-right-to-move-to-acc-football-rights
Hopefully they didn't get Fox News Channel;)MSNBC and MSNBC Jr(ESPN) is enough:vomit:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know it isn't likely that the present DoJ will move on this, but I'm pretty sure that the anti-trust division will recommend nixing this sale. The post that started the thread shows why pretty conclusively. Personally, I don't like the idea of college football coverage being at the mercy of single provider, especially one as smarmy as ESPN.

But, hey, that's just me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know it isn't likely that the present DoJ will move on this, but I'm pretty sure that the anti-trust division will recommend nixing this sale. The post that started the thread shows why pretty conclusively. Personally, I don't like the idea of college football coverage being at the mercy of single provider, especially one as smarmy as ESPN.

But, hey, that's just me.
As a fellow once told me, when I find people agreeing with me I have to change my opinion. I thought I was the only one turned off by the yelling, screaming, arguing, prancing, dancing, generally juvenile programming on ESPN. I keep it on cable only because it carries ACC games, which is I suppose, proof they know what they're doing. So I stopped watching everything else and mute the football games to get by. (And it seems that every week we lose another broadcasting legend, guys who knew how to report the game and get out of the viewers' way.) But if the concentration worries you, wait until the Big Guys start re-pricing internet access and use with the elimination of net neutrality. Imagine streaming Georgia Tech on ESPNU and the potential cost of four hours of network time. Onward and downward.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
As a fellow once told me, when I find people agreeing with me I have to change my opinion. I thought I was the only one turned off by the yelling, screaming, arguing, prancing, dancing, generally juvenile programming on ESPN. I keep it on cable only because it carries ACC games, which is I suppose, proof they know what they're doing. So I stopped watching everything else and mute the football games to get by. (And it seems that every week we lose another broadcasting legend, guys who knew how to report the game and get out of the viewers' way.) But if the concentration worries you, wait until the Big Guys start re-pricing internet access and use with the elimination of net neutrality. Imagine streaming Georgia Tech on ESPNU and the potential cost of four hours of network time. Onward and downward.

espn has programming? the only folks i watch on espn are kirk herbstreet and a few others when i watch gt play. other than that espn is pretty much dead to me.

these days the only other sports i watch is ufc on fs 1 /2 or sports south.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
(And it seems that every week we lose another broadcasting legend, guys who knew how to report the game and get out of the viewers' way.)
Ah. Yes. It sure would be nice if we could get, say, Chris Collingsworth (it makes me cringe to type his name, btw) to listen to someone who knows what they are doing call a football game.

It would be nice if I was suddenly to inherit $100 million too and I expect it's just about as likely. Too bad.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
espn has programming? the only folks i watch on espn are kirk herbstreet and a few others when i watch gt play. other than that espn is pretty much dead to me.

these days the only other sports i watch is ufc on fs 1 /2 or sports south.
I do like Herbstreit, just never know when he is on. He is the best.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ah. Yes. It sure would be nice if we could get, say, Chris Collingsworth (it makes me cringe to type his name, btw) to listen to someone who knows what they are doing call a football game.

It would be nice if I was suddenly to inherit $100 million too and I expect it's just about as likely. Too bad.
One of the things that seem to be happening as ESPN continues sweeping up every football conference on earth is that they have run out of competent announcers and analysts. Some of them I have heard are sophomoric. Juvenile, even. Then of course there are the sideline "reporters" who do something or other.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m the same way. The only time I turn them on is to watch a certain game. Disney has ruined a lot of things in my opinion.