ESPN ACC Power Rankings 11-26-19

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Now that we have dispensed with the ACC rankings -- if it wasn't for Clemson there wouldn't be a league at all, when within the last three years the league seemed on a definite upswing and competed evenly with the SEC opponents -- somebody tell me how it is that Georgia that got whipped by South Carolina, again a mediocre team, and barely escaped A&M, is sitting at No. 4 for the NC pairings. I won't quibble with the top three in any order, but Georgia at 4?

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that we have dispensed with the ACC rankings -- if it wasn't for Clemson there wouldn't be a league at all, when within the last three years the league seemed on a definite upswing and competed evenly with the SEC opponents -- somebody tell me how it is that Georgia that got whipped by South Carolina, again a mediocre team, and barely escaped A&M, is sitting at No. 4 for the NC pairings. I won't quibble with the top three in any order, but Georgia at 4?

Have to maintain the narrative...

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow

Kirby Smart must have naked pictures of someone in the committee with a goat.

THWg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
they got beat by some terrible teams

They did lose to some bad teams...most recently FIU but there is no way Miami is last in the entire ACC. Talent wise they would be upper tier at the very least. Which means the coaching must be pretty bad. Come to think of it, ESPN just might be onto something here. Maybe the banner boys that flew the "FIRE MANNY' airplane banner over what is left of the Orange Bowl have stumbled into a cause celebre that will sweep the Gold Coast or not.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Heading into the final weekend of the regular season, Georgia Tech comes in at #10 in the ACC.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ollege-football-conference-power-rankings#ACC

1. Clemson
2. Virginia Tech
3. Virginia
4. Louisville
5. Wake Forest
6. Pitt
7. North Carolina
8. Florida State
9. Boston College
10. Georgia Tech
11. Syracuse
12. Duke
13. NC State
14. Miami

I have seen most of these teams play at one time or another but they can change on a dime so that doesn't mean a thing. BC looked much better at the start of the season than they do now, ditto NC State. After Clemson and Virginia Tech, the next four spots could be flipped upside down from this and no one would notice. From number 8 down its mediocre to down right poor teams. I really think that NC State even with their four wins is the worst team in the ACC followed by either any one of the bottom four or so. Other than the top two, the only teams that have to happy with their season and feel good about themselves would be Louisville, UVA, Wake Forest, and maybe UNC. I would have thought at the beginning of the season that Pitt would be a better team than a very mediocre middle of the pack. The ACC continues its drive to irrelevance in football.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that there seems to be no rationale for ranking d'ohU last in the ACC. They beat Pitt, FSU, and LOLvl in the 3 games to become bowl eligible before the FIU game.

According to my Week 14 PPDvPwr5 stat (for teams playing at least 3 Pwr5 opponents), the rankings, based on OffPPD/DefPPD, are (nat rk):
CU (2)
vpi (18)
uva (21)
d'oh U (22)
FSU (26)
unc (29)
WF (32)
BC (33)
LOLvl (34)
Pitt (39)
Duke (58)
Cuse (60)
GT (61)
NCSt (62)

Interestingly (to me) this matches the rankings done on the Packer and Durham show (IIRC) where they all agreed on the top 1 and bottom 4 (in differing order), debated 2&3, and then had greater variability in 4 thru 10.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree that there seems to be no rationale for ranking d'ohU last in the ACC. They beat Pitt, FSU, and LOLvl in the 3 games to become bowl eligible before the FIU game.

According to my Week 14 PPDvPwr5 stat (for teams playing at least 3 Pwr5 opponents), the rankings, based on OffPPD/DefPPD, are (nat rk):
CU (2)
vpi (18)
uva (21)
d'oh U (22)
FSU (26)
unc (29)
WF (32)
BC (33)
LOLvl (34)
Pitt (39)
Duke (58)
Cuse (60)
GT (61)
NCSt (62)

Interestingly (to me) this matches the rankings done on the Packer and Durham show (IIRC) where they all agreed on the top 1 and bottom 4 (in differing order), debated 2&3, and then had greater variability in 4 thru 10.

I agree with this. Duh U is probably 4th or 5th. What I might quibble about is putting the Ville in front of Pitt but that's just me. Pretty much spot on analysis.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. Duh U is probably 4th or 5th. What I might quibble about is putting the Ville in front of Pitt but that's just me. Pretty much spot on analysis.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens Saturday. LOLvl has some decent wins, but the wins against BC, Cuse, and NCSt aren't as strong as they might have been from the outset.

With that being said, Satterfield should probably get a strong look as ACC coach of the year, especially if they beat UK. Turning a 2 win team into a bowl team in his first year is pretty impressive. If he beats UK and then wins a bowl game, that 9 wins.

Of course, Mack Brown will also probably turn a 2-win team into a bowl team in his first year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens Saturday. LOLvl has some decent wins, but the wins against BC, Cuse, and NCSt aren't as strong as they might have been from the outset.

With that being said, Satterfield should probably get a strong look as ACC coach of the year, especially if they beat UK. Turning a 2 win team into a bowl team in his first year is pretty impressive. If he beats UK and then wins a bowl game, that 9 wins.

Of course, Mack Brown will also probably turn a 2-win team into a bowl team in his first year.

I take that back about Pitt. They got whacked last weekend pretty soundly. I don't think any of them are any good to tell you the truth.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I take that back about Pitt. They got whacked last weekend pretty soundly. I don't think any of them are any good to tell you the truth.

I actually think Pitt is about who we thought they were. I just think VPI is legitimately playing really good football right now. I don't know what went on earlier in the season after Bud Foster announced his retirement, but they ended strong. They could have beat Notre Dame even as the game was played, imo. I really think that Bud Foster is dialed-in and he's got his guys playing for him at the end of the season.

Pitt's Offense hasn't been that great (about like ours), so being shut-out by their D isn't that surprising. Pitt's strength has been their D, and their D held vpi to 21 pts in 11 drives, 1.91 ppd. Pitt has on average allowed 1.73 PPDvPwr5, and VPI has on average scored 2.38 PPDvPwr5. So, it looks like Pitt's D got the better of vpisu's O.

That's why I'm inclined to think that Pitt really is about where my rankings say, and I think vippysue might be better.