ESPN ACC Power Rankings 11-26-19

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Heading into the final weekend of the regular season, Georgia Tech comes in at #10 in the ACC.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ollege-football-conference-power-rankings#ACC

1. Clemson
2. Virginia Tech
3. Virginia
4. Louisville
5. Wake Forest
6. Pitt
7. North Carolina
8. Florida State
9. Boston College
10. Georgia Tech
11. Syracuse
12. Duke
13. NC State
14. Miami
That tells you all you need to know about the state of football in the ACC this season. A two win team is middle of the pack.\

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How is Miami last on that list?
they got beat by some terrible teams

I don't understand how ESPN comes up with this either. According to their own metric (FPI), they have Miami as the number 33 team in the nation.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings
Using their "Team efficiencies metric" they have Miami at 45 in the nation
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/tab/efficiency

In each, there are plenty of ACC teams below them.

slugboy

Staff member
Weaker teams than the Cidadel? ACC record is 4-3.

Well, they lost to us, and we lost to...

More seriously, they’re playing badly now, and seem dysfunctional.

Would we win a rematch? Possibly. We’re better than the team they just lost to. The one worry I have is that they’d get up for the game to avenge their earlier loss.

@ibeattetris usually, I wouldn’t worry too much about a trend, but I think Miami has been trending down since earlier this year. I don’t think FEI or FPI would pick that up well during the season. It could, I just think it’s probably damped a bit and slow to pick up that kind of decline. They’re underachieving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well, they lost to us, and we lost to...

More seriously, they’re playing badly now, and seem dysfunctional.

Would we win a rematch? Possibly. We’re better than the team they just lost to. The one worry I have is that they’d get up for the game to avenge their earlier loss.

@ibeattetris usually, I wouldn’t worry too much about a trend, but I think Miami has been trending down since earlier this year. I don’t think FEI or FPI would pick that up well during the season. It could, I just think it’s probably damped a bit and slow to pick up that kind of decline. They’re underachieving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True about trends. FPI is actually aimed to assessing where ranks will be at the end of the season, not where the ranks should be now (they include remaining SOS as part of the ranking for example).

I agree it’s possible that it isn’t very good at detecting when a team has made a sudden change.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How is Miami last on that list?
I think these power rankings are very trend heavy. Miami losing to FIU puts them on a severe downward trend. I don’t believe there’s really much rhyme or reason for the rankings, other than taking a shot at Miami for being a poor excuse of a team that had potential to give Clemson a run for their money in Charlotte. Why is Duke below GT when they won the head to head game, and lost to the same teams, and even beat VT? Simple, Duke lost last week and GT won.