ESPN - ACC bowl projections. Week 1

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
No disrespect to the "BITCOIN BOWL" but I have no plans in making that trip anytime soon!!

A few quick caveats:
  • If the Orange Bowl selects a Big Ten team this year, a spot would open up in the Capital One Bowl for the ACC.
  • Either the TaxSlayer Bowl or Music City Bowl gets an ACC team, but not both.
  • For bowl selection purposes, Notre Dame is treated as an ACC team, meaning the Fighting Irish will grab one of the conference's tie-ins unless it is invited to the College Football Playoff.
  • The Birmingham Bowl serves as a backup for the ACC should enough teams become eligible. We're not projecting that yet either.
  • After the playoff committee makes its selections and the Orange Bowl makes its pick, the Russell Athletic gets the next choice of teams. After that, the next group of four work together to decide on selections with geography and a fan base's likelihood to travel to the game playing a role.

Best guess at what awaits the ACC in December and January.

College Football Playoff: Florida State Seminoles
Orange Bowl (Miami): Clemson Tigers
Russell Athletic Bowl (Orlando, Florida): Virginia Tech
TaxSlayer Bowl (Jacksonville, Florida): Miami
Belk Bowl (Charlotte, North Carolina): North Carolina
Hyundai Sun Bowl (El Paso, Texas): Louisville
New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Bronx, New York): Notre Dame
Military Bowl (Annapolis, Maryland): Pitt
Duck Commander Independence Bowl (Shreveport, Louisiana): Duke
Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit): Syracuse
BITCOIN St. Petersburg Bowl: Georgia Tech

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
My hope is either the Orange Bowl ( Already have paid for my tickets) or the Bitcoin (Would love a 20 min drive for that game) and for that matter I will take any game in FL.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
One thing is certain; bowl names are getting worse every year.

And What happens if the teams that qualify for the Russell bowl are sponsored by Nike or Under Armor?

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm sure the Russell will have an agreement with the TV crew to superimpose the Russell logo over any other logo for those viewing at home. :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's a shame the gator bowl lost its name, that just makes the bowl seem super crappy
When I played little league baseball as a kid we had sponsors, too, only the sponsor's name went on the back of the jersey. The fact that the sponsor is now on the "front" speaks loud and clear about where we've come as a society.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So if we go to the Russell Athletic Bowl, will Russell create special jerseys for us to show off since we are their most important client? Do we really want them to?

Things to ponder this Friday morning before kickoff tomorrow...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I sure hope we get to the Orange Bowl at least. That’s the only bowl with a name that actually makes it seem like you got to a real bowl game.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Should keep the bowl streak alive this year, I'd be shocked with an Orange Bowl appearance and ecstatic with the Russell or TaxSlayer/Music City which are ideal slots. Heck, even the Belk in Charlotte if we don't play in the ACC Champ game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Should keep the bowl streak alive this year, I'd be shocked with an Orange Bowl appearance and ecstatic with the Russell or TaxSlayer/Music City which are ideal slots. Heck, even the Belk in Charlotte if we don't play in the ACC Champ game.
I'm rootin' for Orange, but I'd be ecstatic with TaxSlayer. I live in Jax. :D

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
The way the Orange bowl situation is handled seems strange to me. Is it if the ACC champ is in the playoffs, they take whoever they think is the next best team? Seems like it should be the loser of the ACC championship game, meaning it couldn't be clemson, with FSU in the playoffs.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
The way the Orange bowl situation is handled seems strange to me. Is it if the ACC champ is in the playoffs, they take whoever they think is the next best team? Seems like it should be the loser of the ACC championship game, meaning it couldn't be clemson, with FSU in the playoffs.

Is that not the case for all of the old tie in bowls that are not a semi-finalist host?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's win six games first ...... USCe certainly dropped in expectations first game out. We go to a bowl, but the Orange is probably a bridge too far if FSU wins Atlantic. That's why I'm pulling for Clemson.

Let's win six games first ...... USCe certainly dropped in expectations first game out. We go to a bowl, but the Orange is probably a bridge too far if FSU wins Atlantic. That's why I'm pulling for Clemson.
Offseason is over, intellectualized reflection is behind us. Time to win them all! ! ! We don't want no stinkin' Orange Bowl. To quote Inspector Kemp: "TO THE LUMBERYARD!"