Errin Joe update..Plus other injury news.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoa there Tiger.... My family is full of those Doctor people and my brother is a Doctor of Physical Therapy. There are many ways you can get a sports hernia, beside just "sudden movements or immediate twisting". Even the term "sports Hernia" is a generic term applied to a wide range of injuries. It doesn't necessarily even mean a hernia in the traditional sense of the word. The most common way to acquire a sports hernia is a weakening of the abdominal wall by some repetitious movement or a chronic inflammation of the ligaments/ tendons in the surrounding area. This is not an injury that stretching would have prevented...

I agree that MB is injury prone, and we need him now more than ever on our OL, but DressedCheese is right on this one.

Don't know what type of doctor people are in your family but if you look anywhere on the web, almost all sites will say sports hernias are preventable by "serious" stretching instead of the cheating type. No need to argue with you guys anymore. What is fact is that Morgan Bailey stays hurt and can't ever see the field. Make all of the excuses that you want, facts are facts.

Sample from internet search "how to prevent sports hernias": "In addition athletes must be given specific stretches to perform and more importantly be both told how and shown how to perform the stretch. Most athletes perform what I like to call "fake stretching". In "fake stretching" athletes get improperly positioned and make an attempt to look like everyone else. This is generally done to attempt to compensate for a large deficit. Remember, those that like to stretch are generally flexible and probably don't need to stretch. Those that dislike it are those most in need. Try to find stretches that allow athletes to use their bodyweight to help or that use props like boxes, tables or roller"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Quick internet check gave me this:

Cause
Sports activities that involve planting the feet and twisting with maximum exertion can cause a tear in the soft tissue of the lower abdomen or groin.

Sports hernias occur mainly in vigorous sports such as ice hockey, soccer, wrestling, and football.

Hmmmm... nothing about being out of shape or not stretching. All about normal football activity especially for linemen.

It also says that typical recovery time for athletes is 6 - 12 weeks which says a lot about Bailey if he's good to go in 6.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00573

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
In football if his feet were planted and his torso twisted then he wasn't keeping his man in front of him. I've never played organized football but seems like he needs quicker feet. Whether it was a lack of warming up, taking the play seriously, or just being overmatched it doesn't matter none of the above should have happened

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
In football if his feet were planted and his torso twisted then he wasn't keeping his man in front of him. I've never played organized football but seems like he needs quicker feet. Whether it was a lack of warming up, taking the play seriously, or just being overmatched it doesn't matter none of the above should have happened
You can not possibly be serious.
You've obviously never played lineman before. The guy your blocking isn't going to just sit there and let you square him up and block him. From what I've seen of Baily in games i like him. He just seems to be out a month every time he goes to practice. Don't try to make something out of nothing

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow

You never played and you want to question his toughness and injury. WOW! Players bodies are bruised and banged up and we have fans questioning their toughness even when they get out there and play not at 100 percent. The physical abuse that these players go through for a few years of glory will not matter when they hit 30 and they are in pain most of the time with knee, shoulder and back problems. These players have worked hard to get where they are now probably since 10 years old or even younger. I would never question a player at this level as being soft. Football has a way of breaking a persons spirit. You have to be both physically and mentally tough to succeed. I congratulate any player who can play and graduate from GT or any other school with a degree.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Okay nowhere in my previous post did I question his toughness. While I have never played football I am quite knowledgeable in mechanism of injury which is really what my comments are about, not football. Neither of you refuted that he should be moving his feet. Maybe it was because he was training too hard and got tired and kept training. Either way it is a result of poor biomechanics and I will not concede this point - likely the fact that he keeps getting injured is due to that.

Part of my job is figuring out why soldiers who carry 80 lbs on their backs and cover 30 miles of rugged terrain in a day keep getting injured. These injuries range from PF, IT Band Syndrome, Back pain, Torn Ligaments in the knee, and Sports Hernias. Sports Hernias happen when a load is carried off of your center of gravity for too long - biomechanics. We have an extremely high rate of success with retraining patients with biomechanics issues - success defined by not repeating the injury.

The problem with recovery and rehab from an injury is PTs try to return strength lost rather than fixing the underlying problem. It's just like taking blood pressure pills instead of eating healthier, working out, and removing stressers from your life. I realize in football someone else has something to say about whether you get injured or not, but for this injury the defensive player is simply a dynamic load - you don't need to have played football for that. Also my patient population never plays at 100%.