Errin Joe update..Plus other injury news.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Per CPJ today he said will be out at least a week...A lot better than first thought.

Beno still out but should be back soon.

Zenon and McNair still out.

Nealy is back.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
A few more practice notes from GT SID

nHead coach Paul Johnson, when asked who caught his eye in Saturday’s scrimmage, listed WR DeAndre Smelter and B-backs David Sims and Zach Laskey, among others.

nWe will publish a depth chart tomorrow afternoon, although Johnson was quick to point out that the situation is fluid.

nThe defense made a couple of highlight-worthy plays late in practice Monday during the one-minute drill. Sophomore CB D.J. White absolutely leveled B.J. Bostic to win the battle of players using initials for first names. Later, Jamal Golden grabbed a one-handed interception near the sideline.

nWhile So. Vad Lee leads r-Fr. Justin Thomas in the competition at quarterback, Johnson has stressed that it remains a competition. But, this we know for sure: on August 31, a Tech QB will make their first career start for the first time since Nov. 13, 2010 when Tevin Washington started for the first time (vs. Miami).

n“A great competition” is how special teams coach Dave Walkosky described the battle at kicker between senior David Scully and freshman Harrison Butker

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm beginning to think Erin Joe is a bust. He has never gotten in shape and just does not take the game seriously. I think we have 5 to 10 guys like him that need to either commit themselves to getting in shape and busting their *** for the team or turn in their cleats. I'm surprised Johnson tolerates some of the lack of commitment from some of our players. I was hoping the Holton episode would set the tone for slackers to shape up or ship out.

Go Jackets!

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm beginning to think Erin Joe is a bust. He has never gotten in shape and just does not take the game seriously. I think we have 5 to 10 guys like him that need to either commit themselves to getting in shape and busting their *** for the team or turn in their cleats. I'm surprised Johnson tolerates some of the lack of commitment from some of our players. I was hoping the Holton episode would set the tone for slackers to shape up or ship out.

Go Jackets!
I like this kid as a person but he needs to get serious yesterday. Obviously this injury is preventing that but I expect him to bust his tail this year and be a factor. He needs to or we need to recruit more OL.

Kcsunshine

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought the Oline looked a little better than expected at the scrimmage last Saturday. I am cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow

Go Jackets!
The biggest bust on the team using your criteria would be Morgan Bailey. Everyone talks about him having All-ACC potential but he's always nicked up with some injury or another. He must get serious about his future and get himself in shape too. He was projected much higher than EJ.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest bust on the team using your criteria would be Morgan Bailey. Everyone talks about him having All-ACC potential but he's always nicked up with some injury or another. He must get serious about his future and get himself in shape too. He was projected much higher than EJ.
Yeah, those pesky sports hernias are a perfect indication of not being serious and being out of shape. :rolleyes:

I agree about him being banged up his whole career, but his lasted injury has nothing to do with what you suggest.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I have a soft spot for Bailey and have been pulling for him. I know he is always banged up but still, for some reason I cheer for Him.

Also I would definitely not call Erin Joe a bust just yet.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, those pesky sports hernias are a perfect indication of not being serious and being out of shape. :rolleyes:

I agree about him being banged up his whole career, but his lasted injury has nothing to do with what you suggest.
But the previous 10 injuries did. And by the way, sports hernias are caused by "sudden movements or immediate twisting", both of which can be prevented by being in shape and flexible. Serious stretching before working out or practicing could have prevented this one too. Nice attempt though...

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
But the previous 10 injuries did. And by the way, sports hernias are caused by "sudden movements or immediate twisting", both of which can be prevented by being in shape and flexible. Serious stretching before working out or practicing could have prevented this one too. Nice attempt though...

Whoa there Tiger.... My family is full of those Doctor people and my brother is a Doctor of Physical Therapy. There are many ways you can get a sports hernia, beside just "sudden movements or immediate twisting". Even the term "sports Hernia" is a generic term applied to a wide range of injuries. It doesn't necessarily even mean a hernia in the traditional sense of the word. The most common way to acquire a sports hernia is a weakening of the abdominal wall by some repetitious movement or a chronic inflammation of the ligaments/ tendons in the surrounding area. This is not an injury that stretching would have prevented...

I agree that MB is injury prone, and we need him now more than ever on our OL, but DressedCheese is right on this one.