End of Half Clock Management

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Interesting hearing collins reaction to being asked about the spiked ball before the half. He said he felt it was the right call. Not that it really matters since we scored, but can't really seem to understand how that was the right call

It was NOT the right call - he is covering either for himself or someone else.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Interesting hearing collins reaction to being asked about the spiked ball before the half. He said he felt it was the right call. Not that it really matters since we scored, but can't really seem to understand how that was the right call
He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He had three plays and a time out. He could have consumed the entire play clock twice and run two plays with the time he had, and very easily could have run three plays...especially since any incomplete pass stops the clock. If you survey all FBS and NFL coaches and see what they’d do in that situation the overwhelming response will be to let the clock run. It was a dumb mistake and he’s either a) too dumb to realize it, or b) trying to cover for his OC or QB for making the mistake as to not throw them under the bus. When it doesn’t matter like on Saturday we can just let it go. But when it costs you the game (like the clock management against Citadel) then you look like a fool.

He needs to learn how to admit mistakes and take the blame himself or he will eventually create real problems with fans and media.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He had three plays and a time out. He could have consumed the entire play clock twice and run two plays with the time he had, and very easily could have run three plays...especially since any incomplete pass stops the clock. If you survey all FBS and NFL coaches and see what they’d do in that situation the overwhelming response will be to let the clock run. It was a dumb mistake and he’s either a) too dumb to realize it, or b) trying to cover for his OC or QB for making the mistake as to not throw them under the bus. When it doesn’t matter like on Saturday we can just let it go. But when it costs you the game (like the clock management against Citadel) then you look like a fool.

He needs to learn how to admit mistakes and take the blame himself or he will eventually create real problems with fans and media.

Whoa! Tough guy here

Yes, it wasn’t best decision IMO, but you’re getting a bit carried away especially with the needs to learn to take blame.

1) Let’s not forget we scored

2) No, he couldn’t consume the entire clock bc UCF had all 3 TOS and I’m 99.9% sure they would’ve went for a 2 for 1 since they received ball after half

3) You must’ve missed the interview from last week and the FG fiasco

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The advantage was that it took one aspect, pressure from time, out of the equation for a true freshman and a relatively young team overall. The disadvantage is that it cost a down. Whether that tradeoff is good or not isn't obvious to me, especially since we were most likely going for it on 4th if we needed to which takes away some of the disadvantage.

I just have to laugh at those who are worried about leaving an extra 20 seconds or so against a team up by 3 TDs at the moment. You don't run that situation with the opposing team's chances in mind. 7 point game, sure. 21 point game? No. Your only concern is getting 7 there and you play it whatever way makes that most likely. You play that type of game if you can afford to kick a FG. If you can't, then you don't worry about leaving too much time left.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The advantage was that it took one aspect, pressure from time, out of the equation for a true freshman and a relatively young team overall. The disadvantage is that it cost a down. Whether that tradeoff is good or not isn't obvious to me, especially since we were most likely going for it on 4th if we needed to which takes away some of the disadvantage.

I just have to laugh at those who are worried about leaving an extra 20 seconds or so against a team up by 3 TDs at the moment. You don't run that situation with the opposing team's chances in mind. 7 point game, sure. 21 point game? No. Your only concern is getting 7 there and you play it whatever way makes that most likely. You play that type of game if you can afford to kick a FG. If you can't, then you don't worry about leaving too much time left.

Exactly

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck

Didn’t we still have a timeout left though? So we could have stopped clock without wasting the down.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand why teams don't have an audible play that is layered down&out tree where you run up to the line, call the audible fast, snap it and look, then spike it if no one is wide open. It couldn't take more than a couple seconds more to do that than just spike it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Whoa! Tough guy here

Yes, it wasn’t best decision IMO, but you’re getting a bit carried away especially with the needs to learn to take blame.

1) Let’s not forget we scored

2) No, he couldn’t consume the entire clock bc UCF had all 3 TOS and I’m 99.9% sure they would’ve went for a 2 for 1 since they received ball after half

3) You must’ve missed the interview from last week and the FG fiasco
Calm down with the condescending tough guy remarks.

He could have at least consumed more than 22 seconds. Or perhaps made UCF use at least one of their three timeouts.

Instead, he gave an explosive offense a chance to score with three time outs and 1:14. They didn’t, so yeah...it worked out. But it was stupid. And the fact that he doesn’t think it was stupid is concerning.

I admit that I don’t know enough about scheme to accurately say these guys don’t know what they’re doing in that department. So any time I put that stuff up it’s just a humble opinion and you can TIFWIW. But I can do math, and I do understand simple game management concepts in football that our coach doesn’t seem to grasp.

I’m actually happy with everything I’ve seen this year but this and the FG kicking. They need to clean this clock management crap up.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

My point was that pressure from time was not an issue. We had plenty of time and I timeout. At the very least they should have let the clock wind and run one play in calm fashion.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My point was that pressure from time was not an issue. We had plenty of time and I timeout. At the very least they should have let the clock wind and run one play in calm fashion.
If we’re getting all frazzled handling this game situation we’re going to implode under pressure. We’re clearly not coaching ourselves well thru different game situations. Not as bad as the Falcons, but that kind of performance takes a special type of talent.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

We spiked the ball at 1:36. Based on what we were doing most of the game after getting a 1st, if we didn't spike it we'd have run another 20 seconds ish off the block after. So if we snapped it at about 1:15 we'd likely get under a minute before we snapped it on second down. Regardless of how the math works out, under a minute, down by 21, with a tr freshman, time is a factor in that situation. It's not about the math, it's about how the player reacts to that. And considering Sims had 0 experience at this level in that situation, it's a risk that there was no need to take. That is even more true considering we were without our power running RB and without two TEs so there isn't an obvious go to play.

I admit that I don’t know enough about scheme to accurately say these guys don’t know what they’re doing in that department. So any time I put that stuff up it’s just a humble opinion and you can TIFWIW. But I can do math, and I do understand simple game management concepts in football that our coach doesn’t seem to grasp.

Except you don't understand that game management isn't just about being able to subtract 40 from 96 and isn't as simple as you think it is. You don't treat that situation the same with a true freshman qb as you do with a 3 year starter. When you're down your goal line RB you don't treat it the same. When your Qb has had TO issues in the redzone you don't treat it the same. Sorry, but ignoring anything except 5th grade math doesn't mean you know the game concepts better than the coach. That is especially true since you seem to care more about the time than the loss of down. When you're down by 21 in the first half you don't worry about whether an extra 20 seconds is going to give them too much time to score. If that's an issue then you've already lost. You worry about getting the 7, because you have to get that to give yourself a chance, and if that means that keeping time on the board makes the qb/team calmer and more likely to score you do that and not worry about that extra 20 seconds.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

My concern is not so much this one play but rather the thought process going through the coach's heads. The OC does not seem to have "move the chains" focus (does things like calling a pass in the red zone on third and 2 when you have two chances to make the yards running...much higher percent) and the HC has a history of questionable clock management... not just the spike or the Cit game last year but also the wasted timeouts to save a penalty because of a poor decision making substitutions. Focus on play calling to score and considering time on the clock left for the opponent are not mutually exclusive decisions.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We spiked the ball at 1:36. Based on what we were doing most of the game after getting a 1st, if we didn't spike it we'd have run another 20 seconds ish off the block after. So if we snapped it at about 1:15 we'd likely get under a minute before we snapped it on second down. Regardless of how the math works out, under a minute, down by 21, with a tr freshman, time is a factor in that situation. It's not about the math, it's about how the player reacts to that. And considering Sims had 0 experience at this level in that situation, it's a risk that there was no need to take. That is even more true considering we were without our power running RB and without two TEs so there isn't an obvious go to play.

Except you don't understand that game management isn't just about being able to subtract 40 from 96 and isn't as simple as you think it is. You don't treat that situation the same with a true freshman qb as you do with a 3 year starter. When you're down your goal line RB you don't treat it the same. When your Qb has had TO issues in the redzone you don't treat it the same. Sorry, but ignoring anything except 5th grade math doesn't mean you know the game concepts better than the coach. That is especially true since you seem to care more about the time than the loss of down. When you're down by 21 in the first half you don't worry about whether an extra 20 seconds is going to give them too much time to score. If that's an issue then you've already lost. You worry about getting the 7, because you have to get that to give yourself a chance, and if that means that keeping time on the board makes the qb/team calmer and more likely to score you do that and not worry about that extra 20 seconds.

I disagree. You are down 21 but expect to close to 14 down giving you a much better chance to get back in the game. The last thing you want to do is leave enough time to give up another score to be back to 21 down and much much slimmer chance to get back in the game. This is not an isolated case of questionable clock management by this staff. I am hoping for improvement from the coaches as well as the players. Its the trend that is of concern.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The OC does not seem to have "move the chains" focus (does things like calling a pass in the red zone on third and 2 when you have two chances to make the yards running...much higher percent)

You mean the pass play, on third and 3 from the 26 btw, where we had a wide open receiver with no defender around that would have been an easy conversion with a check down and also had an open streaking WR where a better pass might have been a TD? That's a bad play call because it's not "move the chains" focus because only running the ball can move the chains? The fact we were going for it on 4th regardless makes passing make even more sense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I disagree. You are down 21 but expect to close to 14 down giving you a much better chance to get back in the game. The last thing you want to do is leave enough time to give up another score to be back to 21 down and much much slimmer chance to get back in the game. This is not an isolated case of questionable clock management by this staff. I am hoping for improvement from the coaches as well as the players. Its the trend that is of concern.

Again, in these scenarios that are being created, everyone seems to be forgetting that UCF had 3TOs. There was always going to be too much time on the clock whether we spiked it or not.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
And as the coach would you rather them have 1:14 with three timeouts or one timeout?
It doesn't matter with how fast they play and the clock stops with every first down as well as getting out of bounds. 1:14 is an eternity for them with no timeouts.