Emmanuel Johnson has Entered the Portal

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
In the big picture, as for this transfer or any other transfer:

Everybody has their own set of evaluation criteria. I've declined job offers that other people would've jumped at.

I know it's a message board and all, but these players all have their own reasons, and, quite frankly, it's none of our business.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This is a point that, I think, lots of posters miss. I coached college prep softball for years. When a new kid came to a tryout, the girls on the team knew if she was a baller or not.

The athletes know each other better than the fans know them.
Yep. I remember Jemea Thomas telling me that Ricky Jeune would be the best WR in the program, maybe three months into Ricky’s true freshman year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a point that, I think, lots of posters miss. I coached college prep softball for years. When a new kid came to a tryout, the girls on the team knew if she was a baller or not.

The athletes know each other better than the fans know them.

Not only do their teammates know the pecking order, us internet guys certainly do as well. Apparently the only ones who cannot sort the fly crap from the pepper are the darn coaches. Not just this bunch but the ones before them too. And we know that FB coaches are hardheaded and don't listen to us as we try our best to help them. ;)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And that's my point. It's not uncommon to have some medical scholarships. It happens. I would imagine that 2-3 per year would be somewhat normal, with occasional spikes due to a confluence of bad luck. 110+ means you are retiring 6-7 guys a year (assuming a 4 year lifecycle) routinely. It does raise questions as to the validity of the injuries. In the end, we can't control what other schools do, but I sure hope we continue to make right decisions in this regard.
I know I got you all worked up over words on a message board but come on with all the ethical stuff. I guess if I say, if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying, would also get you worked up. To think any school including GT is ethical is a joke. I had classes with several high profile athletes on the 1990 Final Four team. Some of these guys had no business taking up a seat in GT classroom. Talk about ethics. We used these guys to put money in our pocket just like football. Collins was hired because of his pedigree at high profile SEC schools. He was hired by GT to bring GT in the actual game of college football rather than just throwing a team on the field every Saturday. If you can’t see that after 2 years I don’t know what more it will take for you and others to realize GT has finally decided to compete as an overall program. The fact that GT apparently gave Key some assurances tells me it’s full steam ahead. And no, I don’t think it’s unethical to punch a guy in the face during a boxing match but it’s probably frowned upon if it’s done at Olive Garden.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I know I got you all worked up over words on a message board but come on with all the ethical stuff. I guess if I say, if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying, would also get you worked up. To think any school including GT is ethical is a joke. I had classes with several high profile athletes on the 1990 Final Four team. Some of these guys had no business taking up a seat in GT classroom. Talk about ethics. We used these guys to put money in our pocket just like football. Collins was hired because of his pedigree at high profile SEC schools. He was hired by GT to bring GT in the actual game of college football rather than just throwing a team on the field every Saturday. If you can’t see that after 2 years I don’t know what more it will take for you and others to realize GT has finally decided to compete as an overall program. The fact that GT apparently gave Key some assurances tells me it’s full steam ahead. And no, I don’t think it’s unethical to punch a guy in the face during a boxing match but it’s probably frowned upon if it’s done at Olive Garden.

Integrity is a gift you give yourself.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
In the big picture, as for this transfer or any other transfer:

Everybody has their own set of evaluation criteria. I've declined job offers that other people would've jumped at.

I know it's a message board and all, but these players all have their own reasons, and, quite frankly, it's none of our business.
And many of us have stuck it out a current job because it was the right and smart thing to do.

And we are all judged each and every day. It just is what it is — it separates the weak from the strong, the capable from not. It’s how we measured against others who would take our place. That’s how it is and paid kid athlete is no exception.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
By lying about medical injuries? This was the exact quote I responded to: "As for processing, he could easily pull a knee injury excuse, go on medical scholarship and benefit from his football ability for the rest of his life." That would be ethically reprehensible. I stand by the assertion. If you defend lying about medical injuries for gain, you have an ethics problem as well.
Oh no, just in General.