Emmanuel Johnson has Entered the Portal

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We can go on and on and on about this young Man and others that have moved on for one reason or another. The reality is that we are not seeing any of these guys transferring out to another power 5 program and balling out. In the years I have followed Tech football, I can only think of two. One was kicked out of school (D Mills ) and the other was injured in a bar fight and transferred to the Gators and started. Things are changing rapidly with the portal and will probably alter the trajectory of some of our future transfers. I certainly could see Chico Bennett having success at Virginia. Maybe Johnson will as well.
I wonder what the other boards are saying about our in coming transfer and their treatment?

Historically, most transfers from any school haven't really had major success. There are glaring exceptions (Russell WIlson, Joe Burrow, Fields, Anthony Allen, etc) but for the most part transfers see little to no success in their new programs. I would attribute this mainly to the fact that only Grad transfers could play right away, and with one year of eligibility you have to adapt to a new system very quickly. That's a hard transition to make. Undergrad transfers had to sit a year (usually) so many more gifted players would wait a year or two for their shot with the current team vs transferring and losing a year regardless of the depth chart. With the new transfer rules in place or coming soon, I think we will see a shakeup of this to some degree. I think you will see a lot more promising undergrads willingly transfer to get themselves into a perceived better playing situation, and as a consequence, I think oyu will see more of them be successful in their new programs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Remember we are talking about guys who were stars on their High school everyone build them up . Some can't take not being the star when they walk on campus they think that after 3 or 4 years they will be in the NFL. Some times it's better to sign players who have not peaked in high school but starting to show potential.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
In addition to the bathroom, I sometimes go out into the yard/garage/etc. to do a "project". Mrs. kg01 does not like the outside. If she can't help herself and comes out, I tell her I just saw some kinda bug and that abruptly ends her foray into my world.

What was this thread about again?
I will have to try that, thanks. Mrs. Sheboygan likes the outside, so she will stay outside and I will sneak back in......now back to the thread topic

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I will have to try that, thanks. Mrs. Sheboygan likes the outside, so she will stay outside and I will sneak back in......now back to the thread topic
During the summertime, I get on my riding mower and cut the grass about 3 times a week, whether it needs it or not. Nobody messes with me when I am on the mower, no phone calls, no texts, no emails, etc.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So, so few big nasties to recruit, & even fewer that would qualify at GT. Always going to be an uphill battle, but I agree we got to breakthrough & occasionally get 1 or 2. If not, we will never be better than average without some type of significant advantage on O.
He left because of playing time. He wasn’t very big or nasty, just a tweener project we took late in the cycle.

Remember we are talking about guys who were stars on their High school everyone build them up . Some can't take not being the star when they walk on campus they think that after 3 or 4 years they will be in the NFL. Some times it's better to sign players who have not peaked in high school but starting to show potential.
Be careful now because the coaching staff plans to load us up with 4 and 5 stars to take us to the promised land. A bunch of 2 stars that haven't peaked just wont do....

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Historically, most transfers from any school haven't really had major success. There are glaring exceptions (Russell WIlson, Joe Burrow, Fields, Anthony Allen, etc) but for the most part transfers see little to no success in their new programs. I would attribute this mainly to the fact that only Grad transfers could play right away, and with one year of eligibility you have to adapt to a new system very quickly. That's a hard transition to make. Undergrad transfers had to sit a year (usually) so many more gifted players would wait a year or two for their shot with the current team vs transferring and losing a year regardless of the depth chart. With the new transfer rules in place or coming soon, I think we will see a shakeup of this to some degree. I think you will see a lot more promising undergrads willingly transfer to get themselves into a perceived better playing situation, and as a consequence, I think oyu will see more of them be successful in their new programs.
You make very good points. I think we will see more success for transfers in the future than historically because there will be more of them, due to NCAA rules loosening, and because a handful of programs have become so successful that they are overloading themselves with talent.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He left because of playing time. He wasn’t very big or nasty, just a tweener project we took late in the cycle.
I was responding to another post about our need for high level D linemen, not specifically about losing this young man, who like you say, was not. Sorry if that confused you. We need some top level talent at the DT position.

I looked back, and it appears the post that caused my post was removed. It was pretty inflammatory. I just tried to say it bluntly and succinctly. We must get a few top level big nasties.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
That is ethically reprehensible. I hope and pray GT never resorts to or condones dishonesty for either personal or team gain.
Tech has always processed guys. Every school has,
I was responding to another post about our need for high level D linemen, not specifically about losing this young man, who like you say, was not. Sorry if that confused you. We need some top level talent at the DT position.

I looked back, and it appears the post that caused my post was removed. It was pretty inflammatory. I just tried to say it bluntly and succinctly. We must get a few top level big nasties.
the South Carolina transfer should play right away. We should’ve got him last year but you know how the $EC is.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

the South Carolina transfer should play right away. We should’ve got him last year but you know how the $EC is.

Hope he turns out to be special - we must obtain some "special" guys occasionally in the middle of the D Line. Barmore was scary in the championship game the other night, as basically BAMMER gets them every year, and GA, and LSU, and, "name the factory".

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

By lying about medical injuries? This was the exact quote I responded to: "As for processing, he could easily pull a knee injury excuse, go on medical scholarship and benefit from his football ability for the rest of his life." That would be ethically reprehensible. I stand by the assertion. If you defend lying about medical injuries for gain, you have an ethics problem as well.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
By lying about medical injuries? This was the exact quote I responded to: "As for processing, he could easily pull a knee injury excuse, go on medical scholarship and benefit from his football ability for the rest of his life." That would be ethically reprehensible. I stand by the assertion. If you defend lying about medical injuries for gain, you have an ethics problem as well.
To do that he would need to have a medical exam and diagnosis so it was a bogus example but I agree that would be unethical.

Deleted member 2897

Not saying every school does this, but there was a story on this several years ago. Schools like Alabama and Clemson had well over 100 guys on scholarship (my memory says 110+) when you counted all the medical disqualifications.

This was before the transfer portal, so things may have changed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not saying every school does this, but there was a story on this several years ago. Schools like Alabama and Clemson had well over 100 guys on scholarship (my memory says 110+) when you counted all the medical disqualifications.

This was before the transfer portal, so things may have changed.

And that's my point. It's not uncommon to have some medical scholarships. It happens. I would imagine that 2-3 per year would be somewhat normal, with occasional spikes due to a confluence of bad luck. 110+ means you are retiring 6-7 guys a year (assuming a 4 year lifecycle) routinely. It does raise questions as to the validity of the injuries. In the end, we can't control what other schools do, but I sure hope we continue to make right decisions in this regard.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think we have to. It’s pretty easy to look around and see who is going to get the most snaps. Players know who is better as well as the coaches.

This is a point that, I think, lots of posters miss. I coached college prep softball for years. When a new kid came to a tryout, the girls on the team knew if she was a baller or not.

The athletes know each other better than the fans know them.