Emmanuel Johnson has Entered the Portal

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
4 years is NOT guaranteed. It's now an option that a lot of colleges don't actually offer. Schools don't even have to be consistent in how they choose to award them. You could find a football team with 80 one year renewables and 5 multi-year scholarship players. Most players are still on one year renewable scholarships. GT doesn't publish the info as far as I can tell (most schools don't as it's a bad look) but if we are in the business of playing "big boy football" then it's a fairly safe assumption we are offering one year renewables to our players.

I used to say the same thing about lack of foresight, but when I asked the "what if" a guy wants to stay and get his degree I'm usually reminded that coaches have these "chats" with players and "nudge" them out.

I'll also add that this isn't a CGC thing as these threads were there in the CPJ era as well, albeit not quite as often. I'd lay less of this on any individual coach and more on the current landscape of P5 football.

Either way, I refuse to call a player or family member foolish for chasing their dream, even if it means we lose said player.
I agree completely with you. SAs and their parents need to understand that an "offer" is just a trial to see if you can make the top 85. And schools need to understand that a
"commitment" is just a dry run by the SA to see if the offer meets their expectations. I compare it to getting married too soon. What is the current divorce rate ? 40 % ?
Such is the state of the sport that I love the most........smh:cautious:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I can also guarantee you no matter what I do at some point during the day my wife won't be happy with me.
After 30+ years of marriage , I just find my self saying " sorry honey " throughout the day, just so I have one out there , just in case. Kind of like
a preemptive pardon.......

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After 30+ years of marriage , I just find my self saying " sorry honey " throughout the day, just so I have one out there , just in case. Kind of like
a preemptive pardon.......
At my age I was hoping I would need hearing aids and all I had to do was take them out and smile. I know when I should just shut up but I still can't do it. So now I spend half the day in the bathroom just to get some peace and quiet ( it's one place she won't follow me )

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
At my age I was hoping I would need hearing aids and all I had to do was take them out and smile. I know when I should just shut up but I still can't do it. So now I spend half the day in the bathroom just to get some peace and quiet ( it's one place she won't follow me )

In addition to the bathroom, I sometimes go out into the yard/garage/etc. to do a "project". Mrs. kg01 does not like the outside. If she can't help herself and comes out, I tell her I just saw some kinda bug and that abruptly ends her foray into my world.

What was this thread about again?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
4 years is NOT guaranteed. It's now an option that a lot of colleges don't actually offer. Schools don't even have to be consistent in how they choose to award them. You could find a football team with 80 one year renewables and 5 multi-year scholarship players. Most players are still on one year renewable scholarships. GT doesn't publish the info as far as I can tell (most schools don't as it's a bad look) but if we are in the business of playing "big boy football" then it's a fairly safe assumption we are offering one year renewables to our players.

I used to say the same thing about lack of foresight, but when I asked the "what if" a guy wants to stay and get his degree I'm usually reminded that coaches have these "chats" with players and "nudge" them out.

I'll also add that this isn't a CGC thing as these threads were there in the CPJ era as well, albeit not quite as often. I'd lay less of this on any individual coach and more on the current landscape of P5 football.

Either way, I refuse to call a player or family member foolish for chasing their dream, even if it means we lose said player.
That’s simply not true. ALL P5 football programs offer 4 year guaranteed scholarship by agreement between the conferences.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That’s simply not true. ALL P5 football programs offer 4 year guaranteed scholarship by agreement between the conferences.

That's what was voted on, but most scholarships tendered are still one year renewable with a "guarantee" that you get 4 years. I'll have to dig up the link but there was an article on this a couple of years ago that detailed how creative some schools were at playing fast and loose with this new stipulation. There's also a rule that a player cannot be released for athletic performance, yet even former athletes on this very board have intimated that coaches "nudge" out non-performers to make room for younger and hopefully better talent to come in. I get what the letter of the law says, but coaches have always been willing and able to bend any rules to their favor in order to win.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

This is not true. In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship canceled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is not true. In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship canceled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

And yet we see posts all the time that coaches "nudge" poor performing players out the door.

We can hide behind semantics, but the reality is that we, like all other P5 schools, cut players every year...

I wish it weren't so, and loathe the practice, but the reality is evident.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's what was voted on, but most scholarships tendered are still one year renewable with a "guarantee" that you get 4 years. I'll have to dig up the link but there was an article on this a couple of years ago that detailed how creative some schools were at playing fast and loose with this new stipulation. There's also a rule that a player cannot be released for athletic performance, yet even former athletes on this very board have intimated that coaches "nudge" out non-performers to make room for younger and hopefully better talent to come in. I get what the letter of the law says, but coaches have always been willing and able to bend any rules to their favor in order to win.
Ultimately, the decision has to be the player's. The coach can intimate all he wants to, but if the player doesn't want to leave, he's given 4 years, period. These guys aren't stupid and they want to play. No one wants to be where they're not wanted, so, of course, they'll move on if the coach makes it plain enough that they probably should.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ultimately, the decision has to be the player's. The coach can intimate all he wants to, but if the player doesn't want to leave, he's given 4 years, period. These guys aren't stupid and they want to play. No one wants to be where they're not wanted, so, of course, they'll move on if the coach makes it plain enough that they probably should.

I'll say this much. My coworker has two sons that play/played FBS football. One for uga, one for GaSo. We had this discussion a couple of years ago after a coaching change. As a father who is well versed in this, he told me plain as day that coaches can make life living hades for players who don't get the hint and leave on their on, and often do. It's still semantics. A coach cannot pull the scholarship for athletic reasons, but he has lots of tools at his disposal to get rid of a player he doesn't want. Usually being told you aren't really wanted and it's better for you to leave is enough.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And yet we see posts all the time that coaches "nudge" poor performing players out the door.

We can hide behind semantics, but the reality is that we, like all other P5 schools, cut players every year...

I wish it weren't so, and loathe the practice, but the reality is evident.
I guess you're going to have to produce some of these "posts we see all the time" because I've never seen a post from a Georgia Tech football player where he said he was nudged or encouraged to go somewhere else. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I don't know. I just don't think you know either.

I think a frank discussion between the coach and the player at the end of each season assessing where they stand and what the probable future brings is a good thing and is probably done at every school. A coach telling a player that he's not going to ever get to the point where he's going to see the field is a benefit to the athlete, not chasing him off. In the end, ultimately, it's up to the player to decide whether to stay or leave. I don't foresee any of our coaches being vindictive towards a player who chooses to stay.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I guess you're going to have to produce some of these "posts we see all the time" because I've never seen a post from a Georgia Tech football player where he said he was nudged or encouraged to go somewhere else. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I don't know. I just don't think you know either.

I didn't say that the player posted he was nudged, but rather that the practice existed. Shoot, go look through any of the threads on roster management here.

I think a frank discussion between the coach and the player at the end of each season assessing where they stand and what the probable future brings is a good thing and is probably done at every school. A coach telling a player that he's not going to ever get to the point where he's going to see the field is a benefit to the athlete, not chasing him off. In the end, ultimately, it's up to the player to decide whether to stay or leave.

I do too. And to reiterate, I am not intimating that EJ was ran off. I just refuse to call him foolish, as was done in the post I responded too, because he chose not to stay for four years.

I don't foresee any of our coaches being vindictive towards a player who chooses to stay.

It's happened here at GT before. We had a coach run a guy out of the program for an on field mistake.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Sure but if a kid wants to stay for his degree and shows up and puts in the effort there is no way to make him leave.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sure but if a kid wants to stay for his degree and shows up and puts in the effort there is no way to make him leave.

Keep telling yourself that. All a coach would have to do is have him followed and find him violating a team or school rule. Most college students break a rule from time to time. I know I broke my fair share of them. I don't think our current slate of coaches would go that far, but it could easily be done.

Edit: All of this is running afar from the thread topic. Again I don't think EJ was nudged and I wish him the best.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
We can go on and on and on about this young Man and others that have moved on for one reason or another. The reality is that we are not seeing any of these guys transferring out to another power 5 program and balling out. In the years I have followed Tech football, I can only think of two. One was kicked out of school (D Mills ) and the other was injured in a bar fight and transferred to the Gators and started. Things are changing rapidly with the portal and will probably alter the trajectory of some of our future transfers. I certainly could see Chico Bennett having success at Virginia. Maybe Johnson will as well.
I wonder what the other boards are saying about our in coming transfer and their treatment?