Elon game thoughts

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Everything looked good, I really enjoyed watching the offense. It was also great to see the defense hold on to the shut out. But if I am nit picking I thought we could have put more pressure on the QB. I also thought Jeremiah was really pedestrian.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Everything looked good, I really enjoyed watching the offense. It was also great to see the defense hold on to the shut out. But if I am nit picking I thought we could have put more pressure on the QB. I also thought Jeremiah was really pedestrian.
Well, I was thinking this too but I think their gameplan was to throw a lot of quick passes. Their yards per pass was 4.7, that doesn't allow too much time for our guys to get to the QB.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Young needs to stop playing billiard tackling and learn to wrap up as he hits. He had a least two times that drove me nuts where he didn't wrap up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Young needs to stop playing billiard tackling and learn to wrap up as he hits. He had a least two times that drove me nuts where he didn't wrap up.
He had a couple of bad whiffs, but I think he'll be alright. It's one game and he's one of our best on D. Let's see how he does at Duke before we tar and feather him. He may have been pressing and trying to do too much, who knows.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We handled business like we should have. It was Elon but:

-Vad is a beast. Was very decisive and smooth
- Enjoyed looking the progression of the passing game. Thought I would never see under CPJ a QB drop back, have 4-5 to go through his progressions, and hit his 3rd or 4th option for a pass. The best throw was Vad hitting Hill on Flat route. It was a perfect throw from across the hash dropped in the bucket. Also we heard a lot about the chemistry being developed during 7on7. Check out Vad to Bostic for the a 1st down to see that chemistry
- Vad is a very smart runner. He doesnt take unnecessary hits. He gets out of bounds or slide.
- Oline was very good. Pass Pro looked

-No matter the oppenent you can somewhat determine how your run D will look. I thought we looked very strong in that area.
-Pass rush was negated by Elons quick throws. Enjoyed seeing CBs press receivers
-Didnt like the missed tackles in the secondary. Hope to have that sured up.
-Very vanilla up. Mostly Cov 1, 3, 4 on the back end.
- Other than suring up tackling, I would like to see our back 7 hold their disguise on coverage 2-3 seconds longer.

I absolutely hate that we have bye week.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Vad's Heisman campaign has officially begun

090113_tech_football_JC4.JPG

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You should enjoy each game on it's own. We played great and dominated Elon. Whether we should have or not, the fact is we did. It does not mean we will win the rest of our games or that we will lose the rest of our games. Very little projects forward in the game of football. Enjoy the big plays and the win. None of them come easy. Now we can focus on Duke. It should be an interesting look at the self motivation characteristics of our team. I've been up there many times for games and you really have to generate your own enthusiasm. Duke no longer views football as important and I really don't know why they don't abandon the game and funnel their resources over to the basketball program. That is what they really excel in. In any event we have to go play them so we need to take the games seriously and give maximum effort.

Go Jackets!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He had a couple of bad whiffs, but I think he'll be alright. It's one game and he's one of our best on D. Let's see how he does at Duke before we tar and feather him. He may have been pressing and trying to do too much, who knows.

I hope that's the case. Was warming any tar... yet ;) Just brought back memories of last year.:banghead:

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the game again on esp3. More impressed with our team this time then when I watched it live. I think we are going to be fine. I was concerned that our DLine wasn't getting pressure, but after what I saw on the replay is actually the opposite. We didn't get sacks because they were getting the ball out so quickly, but we quickly pushed their line back most of the line. They were trying to drive us off the ball and simply could not do it. You expect this when you play a D2 team but this wasn't the case vs Savannah St. so count me as a person who is optimistically excited for our upcoming games!!

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
So I re-watched the game late last night. Vad played well as expected. OL needs to shore up on pass protection; looked to me like we don't have quick enough feet for lateral movement and their feet get planted on the ground prematurely so our guys just lose leverage. Really excited about Michael Summers as a target for passes, not exactly sure how he did with perimeter blocking though. DL got more pressure than I originally thought, that Quinn guy was good with getting the ball out of his hands when he felt pressure, so some of the incomplete passes were due to him throwing the ball before the receiver was ready. On the flipside, Elon's receivers did miss a few well thrown passes that didn't have much to do with our defense, some of our LBs had trouble covering eligible receivers on flat/out/crossing routes. With that said, I didn't see any situation where our guys looked lost on the field or looked at each other after a play with their arms out as if to say to each other "I thought you had him?"

For anyone that wants to get a chuckle, take a look at the very last play of the 1st quarter. David gets the ball and tries to hurdle over bodies but while doing so does what I can only describe as a windmill move with his ball carrying arm to try to maintain balance. What was funny to me was that while Vad and David is walking back toward the sideline, you can clearly see Vad talking to him about it because he does the same move with his arm. Then the shot switches to CPJ who does the same thing with his arm.

Clearly, David will need to work on ball security cause that'll be a liability for us but it was pretty funny to see Vad and CPJ both getting on him about it right after.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On Sims' big catch and run for td, he was carrying the ball away from his body big time. I hope that doesn't come back to bite us in future games.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric. Is a coach in the booth telling Johnson what the defensive line is doing if not who is he listening to on his headphones. Encouraged by the call that the interceptions came from the scheme. Glad we started with this team to smooth out the rough spots.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Eric. Is a coach in the booth telling Johnson what the defensive line is doing if not who is he listening to on his headphones. Encouraged by the call that the interceptions came from the scheme. Glad we started with this team to smooth out the rough spots.
Not Eric but I can answer this. CPJ has said during one of his many radio shows or press conferences that every coach has a responsibility to watch a different section of the opposing defense to see what they are doing and they use the headset to communicate what they saw.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I was very happy with the all around effort. Vad looked very good, didnt try to do too much himself. The only bad thing was on the long pass to Summers he threw a wounded duck. The good thing about his wounded duck pass though was that it still went further down the field and got there quicker than our previous QB could have got it there. Harrison Butker is very impressive, love seeing touchbacks on the kickoffs!