Eliminating the "Shift"

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Shaking my head... a rule to restrict where the defense positions itself is so "knee jerk" & shortsighted. The arguments "for" eliminating the shift in this piece are laughable to me.

https://www.apnews.com/c04f658a9ad0...iGLVF-MJq2sKqwEKbjMWHid2WNt8iq-LAm5BRIWPhmhMo
I don't think we should eliminate it, but I like what John Smoltz has proposed in keeping all of the players in the infield. You can have as many players as you want in the shift, but keep them on the infield dirt or at least restrict it to so many feet on the outfield grass.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If the shift is causing hits to decline (which the article claims is not proven) then all it will do is put a focus on players that either beat the shift or get hit despite a shift. I don't like how sports are making playing defense harder because they think offense is more exciting.

I also think the NBA should be allowed to play a nonrestricted zone.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If a hitter can't adjust, cut'em and don't pay them.

What's next, no curves or other off speed pitches allowed?????
I was thinking hitters get little patches or wristbands added to uniforms. Red patches.. fastballs only allowed. Another color only curves. Yet another... he gets to keep swinging (no K's allowed) until he puts ball in play.

I joke... but totally agree. Learn to hit the ball where it'll get you on base.