Eight or Nine game conference schedule?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Confirmed - ACC is staying at 8 league games. Must play at least one OOC team from the 'Power 5' starting in 2017. Notre Dame can count as that game.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...acc-votes-keep-eight-game-conference-schedule
We play UGa every year, so this won't affect us.

I've always been a proponent of the tougher the schedule the better. I understand why CPJ and other coaches prefer 2-3 "easier" games to warm up/get healthy, but I hate FCS games. I've always felt that there were enough patsies on our own conference (or at least teams we shouldn't struggle to beat handily), that we could go strong outside the conference. I'd like to play 8+3, with the three being from the SEC (Georgia), SEC/PAC12/Big12, and B1G.

Animal02

Banned
We play UGa every year, so this won't affect us.

I've always been a proponent of the tougher the schedule the better. I understand why CPJ and other coaches prefer 2-3 "easier" games to warm up/get healthy, but I hate FCS games. I've always felt that there were enough patsies on our own conference (or at least teams we shouldn't struggle to beat handily), that we could go strong outside the conference. I'd like to play 8+3, with the three being from the SEC (Georgia), SEC/PAC12/Big12, and B1G.

I too hate the FCS games. I believe the B10 banned members from scheduling them. There are plenty of teams that we could play and likely get 2h/1a contracts with teams out of the sun belt, mac and C-usa conferences.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I too hate the FCS games. I believe the B10 banned members from scheduling them. There are plenty of teams that we could play and likely get 2h/1a contracts with teams out of the sun belt, mac and C-usa conferences.

The FCS/ bottom 20 D1 games are a good part of the reason I decided not to renew my season tickets (along with the distance to games). Playing GSU, Tulane (away) and Woffard is really a p*ssy schedule to start. I'll come to the Miami game if our schedule allows, otherwise, I'd rather stay at home.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The Big (n) has the luxury of MAC teams nearby who don't appear to be any tougher than the top Southern Conference or Colonial teams.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
I had hoped the ACC would move to become the premier conference in terms of rivalries, loyalty and fan interest and passion accross the confernce. Staying at 8 games is a weak and frustrating move.

How often will GT face FSU, BC, Louisville, etc. or how often will VT face Clemson, FSU or Louisville, etc. etc. etc.?

How does this move unify and build conference identity and affinity?

The ACC might as well have voted to split into two separate conferences. Players will complete their entire careers without ever facing numerous opposing teams of their “Conference.”

Now I hope that either 1) the conference just returns to the nine to twelve members or 2) that the members of the other “P5” conferences and NCAA vote to keep the division requirement for conference championship games and that the playoff committee considers a bonus or penalty for the number of conference opponents faced during the season as part of the selection criteria and force the ACC's hand.

Animal02

Banned
Agreed, a "non-conference" conference game is an awful idea. Can't make this make sense in any scenario.

It happened in the Big Ten when they first went to divisions. Mich. and Mich State were in opposite divisions, they agreed to play a non conference game in the years that they were not scheduled to play "in conference" because of the long standing in-state rivalry

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

LibertyTurns

Banned
They need to go to 10 conference games an cut the BS. If you get ND, you have 11. Count it as a non-conf game. Split the conference North-South so the rivalries are restored.

Screw the Wofford games. I'm one of the few left at the end watching the scrubs get playing time anyway.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Disagree. It makes sense if your natural rival is an ACC team. If UNC (whose rival is Duke) wants to schedule NC State every year "outside" the conference, they should be able to do so.

That's why the league kept primary crossovers, which UNC/NC State are paired for annually. Primary crossovers have been going for years without much noise around having lost other natural rivals.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If Tech. didn't have UG, then we would have a problem completing the OOC vs P5 conference game. I don't begrudge fellow conference members for availing themselves of this scheduling device.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Scheduling is harder than most people realize. All the "big" name schools want as many home games as possible. We do too. Both schools have to agree plus have an open date that Saturday. We all want "xxx" schools to come to Grant Field every Saturday. Not going to happen.

Animal02

Banned
Scheduling is harder than most people realize. All the "big" name schools want as many home games as possible. We do too. Both schools have to agree plus have an open date that Saturday. We all want "xxx" schools to come to Grant Field every Saturday. Not going to happen.

All the big schools, including Tech, want that 7th home game. There is more money to be made that way....and less travel expenses. That is why you see the H/A/H contracts with schools like Tulane and MTSU. as well as scheduling the FCS teams to one year deals.

Take an Bama, UM etc.....even if the play a Tulane, App State etc. and they loose some attendance......even at 80K x $50 a seat = 4 million.......minus the 500k or even 1 mil payout, plus the parking concessions etc....and no travel expense........that is a chunk of extra change every year.