Eight or Nine game conference schedule?

Animal02

Banned
The ACC could keep traditional crossover rivals (e.g., Clemson) and remove the competitive disadvantage by making the divison champs = best divisional record. The first tiebreak would be head-to-head. Then we can debate whether BCS standings or overall ACC record is more meaningful as the tertiary tiebreak.

Can't take credit for this idea as someone else came up with it, but I think it's brilliant.

I could see that if it remains at 8 league games.....would not have a problem with a 6-2 team going before a 7-1 team. 6-3 over a 8-1 team would be a bit of a stretch (especially if the in division loss was in overtime)
I can just hear the fans screaming. :eek:

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I want 9 conference games and all out of conference games against Power Conferences. This is for everyone. I want the power conference to only play each other.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess I don't see the down side to a really tough schedule. I don't care if we play ND and UGA in the same year. Embrace every challenge, that is what I say. If you want to be in the conference or national title discussion you have to win the games against good teams anyway. If you are lucky enough to make the 4 team field playoff field, having played a full season of good opponents will only help at crunch time.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess I don't see the down side to a really tough schedule. I don't care if we play ND and UGA in the same year. Embrace every challenge, that is what I say. If you want to be in the conference or national title discussion you have to win the games against good teams anyway. If you are lucky enough to make the 4 team field playoff field, having played a full season of good opponents will only help at crunch time.

Gotta disagree. We won the 1990 NC with a very weak schedule - .685 where most NCs are over .9. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf1990.htm

We got there because others lost with their tough schedules and we didn't. If we recruited so we could take the injuries and still compete, then I'd like the tougher schedule. Till then, we are in a good position with a weak Coastal, one tough game against FSU/Clemson and another in a tough bowl.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gotta disagree. We won the 1990 NC with a very weak schedule - .685 where most NCs are over .9. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf1990.htm

We got there because others lost with their tough schedules and we didn't. If we recruited so we could take the injuries and still compete, then I'd like the tougher schedule. Till then, we are in a good position with a weak Coastal, one tough game against FSU/Clemson and another in a tough bowl.
I like the gist of your post, but I think you take for granted many of the teams we play. You make it sound like we play 10 patsies and 2 tough teams. 7 of the 12 teams on our schedule out recruit us according to the services, 4 by substantial margins. That doesn't add up to what you're saying.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind 9, with or without cross-divisional rival, if ND counted as an ACC game. If we had to play 9 conference games plus ND plus U[sic]Ga on the years that we had to play ND, that would be brutal. Regardless, my guess is that if we went to 9 conference games, we'd eliminate our BCS-AQ-level game rather than our lower tier FBS and FCS opponents.

If it was possible to eliminate permanent divisions, then I'd prefer some sort of seeded divisions based on the previous year's outcomes. Permanent rivals should always be placed in opposite divisions and would only enter into championship calculations as a tie-breaker. We'd still have 8 conference games a year, but, because divisions aren't permanent, we can play more teams more frequently.

Sorry, but playing 9 ACC conference games is not brutal. Last year that means we would have played either wake, ncsu, BC, umd or, granted FSU. We don't need more Tulane, wofford, elon type games. We need to win BIG games ( you can't win them unless you play them) and we need to sell more tickets.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but playing 9 ACC conference games is not brutal. Last year that means we would have played either wake, ncsu, BC, umd or, granted FSU. We don't need more Tulane, wofford, elon type games. We need to win BIG games ( you can't win them unless you play them) and we need to sell more tickets.

Wow. I'm not sure how you got this misrepresentation from a post that begins "I wouldn't mind 9." Smh

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like the gist of your post, but I think you take for granted many of the teams we play. You make it sound like we play 10 patsies and 2 tough teams. 7 of the 12 teams on our schedule out recruit us according to the services, 4 by substantial margins. That doesn't add up to what you're saying.

Sure 7 0f 12 teams on our schedule out recruit us by the rankings.

My point is that for us to be top 10 / NC again, we have to get ahead of 40+ teams who out recruit us. The best way is a weaker schedule that challenges us but we win all. Then have fortune shine on us in the ACCCG and NC game. That is what happened in 1990. We came from no where, won the NC with a weak schedule and went back into the background.

The alternative is to get into a cage fight like the SEC for more games every season and have the injuries and likely losses that go with it.

If we had the strength to take on the tougher schedule, I'd say go for it. Till then we need more cunning and guile.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I thought you were a member of the recruiting rankings is BS club? :D

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I like 9 conference games but the UGA game must be moved to the 1st 3 weeks of the season. The end of the season should be for conference games only.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Move SEC game ( currently UGA ) to game 1 play 2 fcs games then 8 conference games. If board of regents won't let us add more classes that are in sports management which helps gt recruit and since board of regents adding engineering colleges around the state, replace uga with aurburn/ South Carolina fla/ AlabamaAlabama