Eight or Nine game conference schedule?

Animal02

Banned
I like 8 also.....it means an even number of home and away conference games. I would prefer to get rid of the "permanent cross over rival" and just rotate through the other division. That would speed up the time frame for playing all teams in the other division.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd rather we play nine. The fact that FSU only plays at Bobby Dodd once every 12 years is ridiculous. I would also hate losing playing Clemson every year if they get rid of the cross division rivals. Plus it gets rid of another patsy game.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not sure - for the season I would prefer 9 as it drives more exciting games, moving into the playoffs too I think it helps to prep you moving into them.

That said, we gotta have the record to get in so.. I go with coach and pick 8

Animal02

Banned
I'd rather we play nine. The fact that FSU only plays at Bobby Dodd once every 12 years is ridiculous. I would also hate losing playing Clemson every year if they get rid of the cross division rivals. Plus it gets rid of another patsy game.

But why should we play Clemp every year, meanwhile VT plays BC? I don;t care if luck of the draw means we play a hot cross division team and VT doesn't, but win e consistently play a "hot" team and they don't we are at a disadvantage.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind 9, with or without cross-divisional rival, if ND counted as an ACC game. If we had to play 9 conference games plus ND plus U[sic]Ga on the years that we had to play ND, that would be brutal. Regardless, my guess is that if we went to 9 conference games, we'd eliminate our BCS-AQ-level game rather than our lower tier FBS and FCS opponents.

If it was possible to eliminate permanent divisions, then I'd prefer some sort of seeded divisions based on the previous year's outcomes. Permanent rivals should always be placed in opposite divisions and would only enter into championship calculations as a tie-breaker. We'd still have 8 conference games a year, but, because divisions aren't permanent, we can play more teams more frequently.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But why should we play Clemp every year, meanwhile VT plays BC? I don;t care if luck of the draw means we play a hot cross division team and VT doesn't, but win e consistently play a "hot" team and they don't we are at a disadvantage.

I like Beamer's comment, "I'd rather play a game that you need to win as opposed to playing a game that you should win," Beamer said. "Just from a coaching standpoint, I think that I'd love more of those challenges rather than the alumni getting all upset when they think you should've won a game. ... I think I'd go for nine games."

I'd rather we didn't play Clemson every year (except in baseball or golf or academics or ......), since they have such a good team and it hurts our chances at the Coastal championship.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so this is what my seeded divisions would look like based on last year's standings:
Atlantic .......... Coastal
FSU ...................CU
Duke ................ VPI
GT .................. Miami (puts Miami opp FSU & GT opp CU)
Syr .................. BC (who will also be perm rivals)
UNC .............. MD
Pitt ................. WF (Pitt w/Md/Lou'llville and WF w/Duke)
UVA .............. NC ST (UVA w/VPI; NC St w/UNC)

This sort of system would emphasize conference over divisions and raise the likelihood of the two best teams rising to the top.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so this is what my seeded divisions would look like based on last year's standings:
Atlantic .......... Coastal
FSU ...................CU
Duke ................ VPI
GT .................. Miami (puts Miami opp FSU & GT opp CU)
Syr .................. BC (who will also be perm rivals)
UNC .............. MD
Pitt ................. WF (Pitt w/Md/Lou'llville and WF w/Duke)
UVA .............. NC ST (UVA w/VPI; NC St w/UNC)

This sort of system would emphasize conference over divisions and raise the likelihood of the two best teams rising to the top.
So we wouldn't play Clemson or VT? I like playing those teams. I'd rather get rid of Miami. How did you pick which teams went in which divisions?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So we wouldn't play Clemson or VT? I like playing those teams. I'd rather get rid of Miami. How did you pick which teams went in which divisions?

See my earlier post. CU is still perm rival. Otherwise it is 1st to last, left to right, from last year's acc standings.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The ACC could keep traditional crossover rivals (e.g., Clemson) and remove the competitive disadvantage by making the divison champs = best divisional record. The first tiebreak would be head-to-head. Then we can debate whether BCS standings or overall ACC record is more meaningful as the tertiary tiebreak.

Can't take credit for this idea as someone else came up with it, but I think it's brilliant.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The ACC could keep traditional crossover rivals (e.g., Clemson) and remove the competitive disadvantage by making the divison champs = best divisional record. The first tiebreak would be head-to-head. Then we can debate whether BCS standings or overall ACC record is more meaningful as the tertiary tiebreak.

Can't take credit for this idea as someone else came up with it, but I think it's brilliant.
There's no such thing as BCS anymore, right? Does the AP poll now become the defacto poll or is there another poll? How are the playoffs seeded?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's no such thing as BCS anymore, right? Does the AP poll now become the defacto poll or is there another poll? How are the playoffs seeded?

Good point. I'm not sure, but I certainly wouldn't want to play the poll/popularity game. Either way it wouldn't derail the concept of the division winner being the team with the best divisional record.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good point. I'm not sure, but I certainly wouldn't want to play the poll/popularity game. Either way it wouldn't derail the concept of the division winner being the team with the best divisional record.
I agree. Btw, why isn't it that way already? The strongest team from each division should represent that division and divisional record is the surest way to determine that.