Eddie Lee Ivery revisited

I don't like opening a new thread, but I didn't see any other current thread in which to post this, which I think many other old-timers (like me) might appreciate.

On the way back to Augusta from the game today, which was obviously very disappointing, I made my usual stop at the BP truck stop on I-20 near Madison, GA. While checking out, a nice looking older black man with a young girl (probably his grand daughter) got in line behind me. He had on a Tech polo shirt, and I commented on the game today, saying you just can't win a game when you put the ball on the ground 8 times. He agreed, and we continued with a little small talk. I asked him where he was from, and he said Thomson, which is about 30 minutes outside Augusta, for those of you who don't know. I asked him what his connection to Tech was, and he said, "player." That was the first stunner, so I asked him his name, and his answer was simply, "I'm Ivery." Well, you could have knocked me over. First, he didn't really look old enough to be Eddie Lee, and second, in all the years since he played, even though he lives so close to Augusta, I don't believe I have ever seen him and have certainly never had the opportunity to talk with him. I told him that I was in Athens when the mutt players were jumping up and down on the field, pointing at him and celebrating after he was injured, and how much I have hated them ever since then. Then the shocker: he told me that the mutt who "SPEARED" him (his word), never played another down of football. I don't know if he meant EVER or just no more plays in that game, but he said that Dooley sent him into the game specifically to SPEAR Eddie Lee. I hate the mutts AND Dooley even more than ever now !!!!!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't like opening a new thread, but I didn't see any other current thread in which to post this, which I think many other old-timers (like me) might appreciate.

On the way back to Augusta from the game today, which was obviously very disappointing, I made my usual stop at the BP truck stop on I-20 near Madison, GA. While checking out, a nice looking older black man with a young girl (probably his grand daughter) got in line behind me. He had on a Tech polo shirt, and I commented on the game today, saying you just can't win a game when you put the ball on the ground 8 times. He agreed, and we continued with a little small talk. I asked him where he was from, and he said Thomson, which is about 30 minutes outside Augusta, for those of you who don't know. I asked him what his connection to Tech was, and he said, "player." That was the first stunner, so I asked him his name, and his answer was simply, "I'm Ivery." Well, you could have knocked me over. First, he didn't really look old enough to be Eddie Lee, and second, in all the years since he played, even though he lives so close to Augusta, I don't believe I have ever seen him and have certainly never had the opportunity to talk with him. I told him that I was in Athens when the mutt players were jumping up and down on the field, pointing at him and celebrating after he was injured, and how much I have hated them ever since then. Then the shocker: he told me that the mutt who "SPEARED" him (his word), never played another down of football. I don't know if he meant EVER or just no more plays in that game, but he said that Dooley sent him into the game specifically to SPEAR Eddie Lee. I hate the mutts AND Dooley even more than ever now !!!!!
That sounds like something that overrated scumbag would do:mad:

Buzz*The*Plumber

Jolly Good Fellow

That's awesome that you got to talk with him, one of the all time great! And now I hate the dwags even more, which I would not have thought possible.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Great post!
A favorite player - all knees and shoulder pads.
WOW, u are lucky.
Start an Augusta gt football trash talking club and make him the guest of honor

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Still my favorite Tech player of all time. He came along at Tech during my second season of Pop Warner, so he was just as huge a hero to me at that impressionable age as guys like Roger Staubach, Kenny Stabler, Franco Harris, Steve Bartkowski, etc. Really missed seeing him in a Tech uniform. But Ramblin' Robert Lavette didn't do a bad job filling his shoes... (y)