Early Signing Period Approved

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. I don't think it will make for much of a change. Most of the young people who will sign up in the early period will probably be the ones who were solid recruits anyhow. I bet the ones with multiple offers who aren't really sure will probably wait things out, just as they do today.

It might be a good thing for Tech by preventing something that many here have noticed: other schools using Tech recruiting as a signal to lead them to athletes. You see the same schools - Vandy, Puke, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota - suddenly cropping up late with players that Tech has been quietly recruiting. I know we do some of that ourselves, but, since so many of our recruits are under the radar, I think it's more a problem for us then for the usual suspects. If we can sign those athletes before the word gets out, it could lead to a little less suspense over at Tech HQ.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is great for everyone; players and coaches.

It will allow the players to commit and not worry about someone else taking their spot (a problem at other schools like Alabama not at GT) and not be harassed for as long to flip. The top schools will have to commit to players more fully as the players can commit earlier.

It will allow the coaches to determine whether the players really want to come. If a player is "committed" but doesn't sign in the early period, that is a massive red flag that the player is "playing" for a better offer somewhere else. It should help us and reduce the poaching of our players at the last minute. CPJ is a good judge of talent and I think we get poached more than other ACC teams (no facts, just an opinion).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe. I don't think it will make for much of a change. Most of the young people who will sign up in the early period will probably be the ones who were solid recruits anyhow. I bet the ones with multiple offers who aren't really sure will probably wait things out, just as they do today.

It might be a good thing for Tech by preventing something that many here have noticed: other schools using Tech recruiting as a signal to lead them to athletes. You see the same schools - Vandy, Puke, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota - suddenly cropping up late with players that Tech has been quietly recruiting. I know we do some of that ourselves, but, since so many of our recruits are under the radar, I think it's more a problem for us then for the usual suspects. If we can sign those athletes before the word gets out, it could lead to a little less suspense over at Tech HQ.

Saban and a lot of the factory coaches have generally been opposed to the early signing period, which automatically means it benefits schools like GT more than the factories. For instance, it will limit a school like Bama from stringing along recruits and then turning around and either pulling the offer or grey-shirting them. If a kid doesn't have a committable offer in December, then he now knows for sure the school is stringing him along, and can look elsewhere BEFORE other classes fill up. Previously, a school like Bama could pull an offer last minute and a kid would be left with few choices. It means the factories now have to ensure that the kids with offers by the ESP are the ones they want to commit. While some of the 4* and 5* guys that commit early won't be affected, this will hurt a lot of the depth these teams build by poaching high 3* guys at the last minute, or by stringing out players in case the 4* and 5* studs they are chasing don't pan out. This has the potential to help non-factory FBS P5 schools like GT a lot.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Saban and a lot of the factory coaches have generally been opposed to the early signing period, which automatically means it benefits schools like GT more than the factories. For instance, it will limit a school like Bama from stringing along recruits and then turning around and either pulling the offer or grey-shirting them. If a kid doesn't have a committable offer in December, then he now knows for sure the school is stringing him along, and can look elsewhere BEFORE other classes fill up. Previously, a school like Bama could pull an offer last minute and a kid would be left with few choices. It means the factories now have to ensure that the kids with offers by the ESP are the ones they want to commit. While some of the 4* and 5* guys that commit early won't be affected, this will hurt a lot of the depth these teams build by poaching high 3* guys at the last minute, or by stringing out players in case the 4* and 5* studs they are chasing don't pan out. This has the potential to help non-factory FBS P5 schools like GT a lot.

I agree with this. And wish you can start signing anytime after june.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was going to say August, but agree that June is even better. If the "offer" is legitimate, then it should be able to have "teeth" for all parties. Let them sign and be done with it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: ACC coaches miffed over 'catastrophic' changes to recruiting
“Some of us thought it might be a decent idea if there was a signing date in July,” Richt said. “It might have made sense to have a visit in the spring but now you’re going to have it in the spring and no one is going to sign until the earliest in December?”
UNC coach Larry Fedora said that he understood that the ACC and the SEC were the only two conference to vote against the package of rule changes that eventually was processed by the NCAA.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
its not a huge deal but it will be nice for the players. I remember when Will and the other guys in his class enrolled early, they were working out while the other guys were at the college hall of fame at signing day. The early guys did not have a "signing day". I think the early signing day event will great. It wont be full of guys who just want their *** kissed as long as possible.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
its not a huge deal but it will be nice for the players. I remember when Will and the other guys in his class enrolled early, they were working out while the other guys were at the college hall of fame at signing day. The early guys did not have a "signing day". I think the early signing day event will great. It wont be full of guys who just want their *** kissed as long as possible.
Help me remember who were the others with Will?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

AMEN!!!