Early playing time

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What true freshman do y’all think will get early playing time this season. Strictly based
On needs by position, plus some guys that are just studs, this is my prediction.

offense:
QB: Gleason
OL: Vaipulu, Williams
RB: Gibbs
WR: McCollum
TE: Ward

Honorable mention:
Rankins, Boyd Gowdy, Simms

defense:
DE: Davis (if he commits)
LB: Franks
CB: Brooks

Honorable mention:
Stone, Ivey, Wright

bos

Helluva Engineer
Team was so young a year ago and lots of guys coming back that it's real hard to pin point which True Freshman will get PT. My guess is you are spot on with the OL. The reason Sims committed to Tech is because he wants to start this year and has a good chance. I think Ward is also very likely to get time early. I'm going to say Meiguez on defense. He's physically ready and could contribute immediately.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So almost every freshman lol is that what you're saying?

Also this thread belongs in the football subthread
I picked 9 guys lol and one isn’t even committed yet and another not signed.

The other 7 are guys that I’m not sure about but could definitely have a chance.

by no means do I think all these guys will get early playing time.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims and Gleason will play bc the 4QB>1 competition is king thread writes itself. I like Sims bc he is the shiny new thing.

Ward will be in the rotation if healthy. This seems like the surest bet.

Williams, Rankins and Vaipalu look ready to contribute in different ways. I thought Spiers senior film was pretty strong too, but OL is so hard to predict.

McCollum, Wright and Boyd could contribute on special teams, and I am hoping Meiguez starts at what has at times felt like middle failbacker. Could see Ivey, Franks, Wright, Davis or Johnson in the prowler pack, but they are either raw or a little smol still.

Gibbs at KOR against Clemchild Thursday night to open 2020!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'll be doing a more in depth analysis of Simms and Gleason at a later time, but I'll just say don't sleep on Gleason. He's got some serious tools. Simms VS Gleason is closer than most think.
I’ve been saying for a while and even after Simms that Gleason will be the starter next year. Dude is a stud and WAY underrated imo.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think Graham will very likely win the starter job again just because of his experience and successes, but if he struggles like against Pitt, VT, etc again he’s going to be on a pretty short rope. If one of these frosh or Yates relieves him and balls out then he may lose his starter job pretty quick. I know Graham fought back hard to get eligible and i respect the hell out of that, but the fact that he wasn’t mentally ready for some of the games this year is pretty disturbing to me. Maybe he’s having a hard time balancing school and being a starting QB?

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan
Honorable mention:
Simms

I'll be doing a more in depth analysis of Simms and Gleason at a later time, but I'll just say don't sleep on Gleason. He's got some serious tools. Simms VS Gleason is closer than most think.

I’ve been saying for a while and even after Simms that Gleason will be the starter next year. Dude is a stud and WAY underrated imo.

We will see both Gleason and Simms in the spring game correct?

Can we please at least get his name right? It's Sims - one (1) m.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Graham will very likely win the starter job again just because of his experience and successes, but if he struggles like against Pitt, VT, etc again he’s going to be on a pretty short rope. If one of these frosh or Yates relieves him and balls out then he may lose his starter job pretty quick. I know Graham fought back hard to get eligible and i respect the hell out of that, but the fact that he wasn’t mentally ready for some of the games this year is pretty disturbing to me. Maybe he’s having a hard time balancing school and being a starting QB?
Under CPJ I would agree with you, but I’m not so sure with this new coaching staff. Past performance wasn’t enough for Wells to keep his starting job, so I think every position is fair game. Yates wasn’t on campus last spring, so he had a very short period of time to convincingly beat out the other QBs. Even if he was the best QB (and I’m not saying he was), he wouldn’t have had enough time to get the offense down better than the guys who were there in the spring. That’s not the case this year. Every scholarship QB will have had at least the entire spring and summer to show why he should start. If that allows Yates, Gleason, or Sims to understand and execute the offense better than Graham, then Graham won’t be starting anymore. We should all be excited because at the very least our QB play at the start of next season should be better than it was at the end of last season, since Graham should be improved. Therefore, our starting QB should either be an improved James Graham or someone who beat out an improved James Graham.