Early playing time

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Under CPJ I would agree with you, but I’m not so sure with this new coaching staff. Past performance wasn’t enough for Wells to keep his starting job, so I think every position is fair game. Yates wasn’t on campus last spring, so he had a very short period of time to convincingly beat out the other QBs. Even if he was the best QB (and I’m not saying he was), he wouldn’t have had enough time to get the offense down better than the guys who were there in the spring. That’s not the case this year. Every scholarship QB will have had at least the entire spring and summer to show why he should start. If that allows Yates, Gleason, or Sims to understand and execute the offense better than Graham, then Graham won’t be starting anymore. We should all be excited because at the very least our QB play at the start of next season should be better than it was at the end of last season, since Graham should be improved. Therefore, our starting QB should either be an improved James Graham or someone who beat out an improved James Graham.
I think Graham will definitely be improved if he works hard in the offseason, he has all the talent needed to be our starter

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since everyone is naming names …

I think the one frosh we recruited who could see extensive playing time is … Rankins. Imho, he has the most talent of any of the OLs and the least distance to go to contribute. This depends on his actual weight when he reports, however. If he is at 285, as some sites report, he may need a redshirt year. If he reports at 295, as other sites say, then he may contend right away. He's quick and he keeps his pads down.

But, hey, it'll be up to him.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
There's a massive Quarterback next year thread where all the QB stuff discussed at length.

I think I'm most excited to see if someone can step up at the linebacker position. We've really struggled to find a play-maker there for a long time. Maybe Franks can carve out a role in blitz packages as a freshman, or perhaps Meiguez comes in ready. Both of these guys look like they really have a natural instinct for the position.

bos

Helluva Engineer
There's a massive Quarterback next year thread where all the QB stuff discussed at length.

I think I'm most excited to see if someone can step up at the linebacker position. We've really struggled to find a play-maker there for a long time. Maybe Franks can carve out a role in blitz packages as a freshman, or perhaps Meiguez comes in ready. Both of these guys look like they really have a natural instinct for the position.

Good mention on the LBers. Last year this group was absolutely terrible (besides Thomas). Part of that is contributed to poor DL play. With all of them coming back (Curry, Knight, Quez, Thomas, Swilling) and Thacker usually playing just 2 it may be hard for freshmen to see the field. You're right though Franks and Meguiez are ballers. I'm actually most excited about Khaya Wright.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good mention on the LBers. Last year this group was absolutely terrible (besides Thomas). Part of that is contributed to poor DL play. With all of them coming back (Curry, Knight, Quez, Thomas, Swilling) and Thacker usually playing just 2 it may be hard for freshmen to see the field. You're right though Franks and Meguiez are ballers. I'm actually most excited about Khaya Wright.
Also, this position took a beating with injuries last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yates and/or JG will transfer out at the end of next year

I can see Graham switching positions. He would do well at slot WR, or DB...DB is where a lot of P5 teams recruited him. Kinda reminds me a lot of Josh Nesbitt...though Nesbitt was pretty electric at QB in HS, and we got a glimpse of it here. Nesbitt most likely would have moved to DB (played 1 season for Buffalo Bills there) had Gailey stayed and Sean Renfree (4 star Pro Style QB) come in as he was planning to until CPJ came in with the flex option.