Early line: Clemson by 29

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I haven't given up on Sims by any means, but at this point I'm a lot more excited to see Yates in there.
No word on who's going to start? I guess we'll find that out on Saturday at 3:30.
Personally I think the coaches would be insane to start Sims at this point. He hasn’t played a snap in 7 quarters of football. If he was shaky against NIU, then personally I think it would be crazy to throw him against a top defense in Death Valley.

I could be wrong. I’d like to see Yates though. That kid is cool calm and collected and gets it done

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally I think the coaches would be insane to start Sims at this point. He hasn’t played a snap in 7 quarters of football. If he was shaky against NIU, then personally I think it would be crazy to throw him against a top defense in Death Valley.

I could be wrong. I’d like to see Yates though. That kid is cool calm and collected and gets it done
I think you are right on this one. In Collins' first game at Clemson, Tobias Oliver started the game because he was the calming presence with recent playing-time experience. Collins makes the same call this time with Yates

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I agree with this, and think CDP talked about Yates being an operator and veteran. Crucial we do not fall behind early in this game or else we could get boat raced. We just need to stay focused on taking advantage of each one of our drives and keeping on schedule.
(Deep analysis I know, but sometimes it really is that simple).

I think you are right on this one. In Collins' first game at Clemson, Tobias Oliver started the game because he was the calming presence with recent playing-time experience. Collins makes the same call this time with Yates

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks ready to play Saturday, if needed.
I may be a contrarian. I think the only way we keep this close is Sims starts. He has the arm to stretch the field vertically and speed and strength when running for his dear life to turn a negative play to a positive. Clemson’s defense is too good and too fast for bubble screens and dump offs to work. They’ll smother a short passing game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We are not physically up to competing with Clemson. Frankly we haven’t been for quite a while. This will likely get ugly fairly early. Hoping for the best but taking Clemson while giving 29 points seems like a safe bet. I don’t think we have closed the gap 30+ points this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I may be a contrarian. I think the only way we keep this close is Sims starts. He has the arm to stretch the field vertically and speed and strength when running for his dear life to turn a negative play to a positive. Clemson’s defense is too good and too fast for bubble screens and dump offs to work. They’ll smother a short passing game.
Favor Yates but I'll have hope if either one of them starts. I think they both have the potential to be a thorn up Clemson's butt.
If we start Yates and it becomes clear we need a bigger, stronger QB in there, it will be good to know Sims is ready.
If we start Sims and he has trouble with his accuracy, it will be good to know Yates is ready.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is my reasoning for us at least covering the spread and it being a closer game than most expect.

- It was touched on during Thacker's press conference about what he learned from last year and he mentioned how they focused on shutting down ETN and the run game and if you feel like looking back at that box score (don't blame you if you don't) you'll see that we were somewhat successful at that. Etienne was the leading rusher and he got 44 yards on 11 carries. They did have other backs get substantial chunks but it was really the 500 (yes five zero zero) passing yards that killed us. They didn't need to run so much because they were having so much success through the air. I don't think they will have the same success through the air this year. They don't have Trevor and so far DJU has not shown the ability to dominate through the air like Trevor did last year.

- DJU, against SC State, went 14/24 (58%) for 171 yds, 1 TD, and 1 INT. I'm not sure what all goes into ESPN's QBR stat but DJU had a QBR of 52 in that game. That's about on par to what Sims' QBR was against BC last year, which wasn't good. I don't think DJU will be able to do what Trevor did last year.

- We've got to hold on to the football. Last year's game was still a game in the 1st quarter but Sims and Gibbs each had a fumble which came at terrible times. We had our long bomb to Camp for a TD to tie it up 7-7, then gave up a long 83 yd bomb to Rodgers, fumble away the next series, defense holds them to a FG , we punt, we intercept Trevor Lawrence (!) and then fumble away that opportunity. It was all Clemson after that and went from 17-7 to 52-7 in a hurry. There was a brief period of time where we were playing with them just can't give away the ball.

- And as stout as Clemson's D is they only got 1 sack against SC State. Not sure why or how that game played out but maybe we'll have some better luck in the pocket than we think

I think the combination of our D focusing on stopping the run, inability of DJU to make us pay through the air as much as Lawrence did, and maybe Yates protecting the ball and keeping drives alive could make this game a GAME. And if the coaches see ways to work it in I would like to see Sims still. Yates has more than earned the start and playing time but I do think Sims has some weapons he can bring to the game that could give Clemson some different looks.

Last edited:

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
He can't straighten his left arm (at least based on this picture). I'd bet there's no way he can throw accurately beyond 30 yards without a full throwing motion. Hopefully the brace is a precaution and he'll be 100% on Saturday, but I'd prefer Yates starts and at least moves the offense a little. We really can't afford to stack up a bunch of 3 and outs to start the game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here is my reasoning for us at least covering the spread and it being a closer game than most expect.

- It was touched on during Thacker's press conference about what he learned from last year and he mentioned how they focused on shutting down ETN and the run game and if you feel like looking back at that box score (don't blame you if you don't) you'll see that we were somewhat successful at that. Etienne was the leading rusher and he got 44 yards on 11 carries. They did have other backs get substantial chunks but it was really the 500 (yes five zero zero) passing yards that killed us. They didn't need to run so much because they were having so much success through the air. I don't think they will have the same success through the air this year. They don't have Trevor and so far DJU has not shown the ability to dominate through the air like Trevor did last year.

- DJU, against SC State, went 14/24 (58%) for 171 yds, 1 TD, and 1 INT. I'm not sure what all goes into ESPN's QBR stat but DJU had a QBR of 52 in that game. That's about on par to what Sims' QBR was against BC last year, which wasn't good. I don't think DJU will be able to do what Trevor did last year.

- We've got to hold on to the football. Last year's game was still a game in the 1st quarter but Sims and Gibbs each had a fumble which came at terrible times. We had our long bomb to Camp for a TD to tie it up 7-7, then gave up a long 83 yd bomb to Rodgers, fumble away the next series, defense holds them to a FG , we punt, we intercept Trevor Lawrence (!) and then fumble away that opportunity. It was all Clemson after that and went from 17-7 to 52-7 in a hurry. There was a brief period of time where we were playing with them just can't give away the ball.

- And as stout as Clemson's D is they only got 1 sack against SC State. Not sure why or how that game played out but maybe we'll have some better luck in the pocket than we think

I think the combination of our D focusing on stopping the run, inability of DJU to make us pay through the air as much as Lawrence did, and maybe Yates protecting the ball and keeping drives alive could make this game a GAME. And if the coaches see ways to work it in I would like to see Sims still. Yates has more than earned the start and playing time but I do think Sims has some weapons he can bring to the game that could give Clemson some different looks.
DJU on the best day, he will ever have won't be able to duplicate Trevor Lawrence.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"Here is my reasoning for us at least covering the spread and it being a closer game than most expect." I like the cut of your jib but I ain't getting on that boat. Clemson will blow us out and cover the spread.