Early line: Clemson by 29

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Anything can happen. Just ask 41 point favorite USC over Stanford back in '07 or closer to home roughly 4 TD favorite Georgia Tech over MTSU in '12 or Citadel in '19...

With that said, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the support for GT moving it down to 28. Especially given Dabo's propensity to run up scores for style points notwithstanding the potential that Clemson runs the table this year and watches the playoffs sulking from home at #5.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think it is on account of the fact that this is the first year since 2014 they haven’t had a proven quarterback—although now that I think of it Kelly Bryant wasn’t especially proven in 2017, so perhaps I am off by a few years. The point is, the perception is that they are weak relative to the seasons with Watson and Lawrence. And that they never scored a touchdown against Georgia somewhat justifies that perception. They are still a top 10 team who will likely have the game in hand by halftime.

Also, I realize they had a lot of their backups in last year, but I believe you can still run up the score whilst clearing the bench. Maybe I’m abusing the term “running up the score” here. By the way, this wasn’t a shot at Dabo; I don’t blame him for it. He wanted to send a message to Collins and, I agree, it is our job to stop the other team from scoring.
Swinney is frequently on the record as telling his team, top to bottom, that "I didn't recruit you here to sit. You're gonna play and when you play you had better know the playbook." So if your twos and threes are better than our ones, then I suppose it might be running up the score in a broad sense. As for Bryant - who lost his job at Georgia Tech that year -- you knew there was a problem when he began whining it "wasn't fair." His problem was as Alabama demonstrated that he could not throw downfield. He was in such a huff that he quit the team outright though Swinney tried to talk him into staying, practicing with the team, training with them, eating at the training table, and at least stay with his scholarship until the spring. But he hustled off to Missouri and proved Swinney et al right.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m worried about our OLine getting manhandled. But just for the sake of me not getting banned again, I would like to say that Georgia Tech is the best team, best institute and has the absolute best head coach with amazing coaching staff in the in the entire world and universe combined.

I am going to leave this post here. As you see, we have a 60+ page advocating for the firing of our HC . If you peruse that thread I am sure that you will see plenty of well deserved criticism. First of all - as a new poster, welcome. I hope that you enjoy this site and want to contribute in a positive manner. You would be well advised to know and understand our rules a little better as it appears that you may be unaware of them from what I can see and have seen. For the most part, taking this proactive step will help you acclimate a little better and avoid future misunderstandings.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We need to slow this game down, burn a lot of clock. Please don't run a hurry up offense and please don't turn the ball over. If we can hold them to under 40 points I guess I will be pleased.

Perhaps Collins has learned his lesson from last year (doubt it). I get wanting to be elite in everything you do (practice, games, recruiting, putting on skinny pants and no socks....), but you have to be smart as well. Throwing the ball constantly and not running clock when you're down by 30, 40, 50, 60+ points and going three and out every time you get the ball is just dumb. Rather than running 2 or 3 minutes off the clock, you're running off less than 1. You're just giving them more possessions and more opportunities to score when we can't stop them. Again, I get wanting to "run the offense we will have in 2 or 3 years with the most elite athletes in America" but while it may just be a moral victory, losing 49-7 is better than losing 73-7. In the former, you got your *** kicked by the No. 1 or 2 team in the country, which is to be expected. In the latter, you gave up the most points in your ACC history and look like you are a bumbling out of touch coaching staff and make fans even more concerned that you don't know what you're doing. Of course, Collins doesn't care what the fans think, because they aren't "elite" and he doesn't answer to them.

Of course, I'm sure as long as the effort is elite, there are no such things as losses or moral victories. Just lots of love shown with ice creams parties, waffles and hash browns for being above the line.... :rolleyes:;)

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
To me, losing by 7 and losing by 70 are the same. We should not play an offensive style designed strictly to lose by as little as possible. We should play the offense that give us the best chance to score.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
To me, losing by 7 and losing by 70 are the same. We should not play an offensive style designed strictly to lose by as little as possible. We should play the offense that give us the best chance to score.

Losing by 7 means that you were likely "in the game" all the way through to the end. Losing by 70 means you got stomped like a nark at a biker rally and just had one of the worst losses in school history. I get that an L is an L, but the coaching staff didn't even give us a chance last year. At some point, you have to realize you're going to lose the game and try to at least save face. Of course, we did beat Georgia at home last week.

Oh wait, that was an FCS team FROM Georgia. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe someone should let Collins know that was an FCS team and not Bama or Georgia, despite the elite effort. :cool::p

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am going to leave this post here. As you see, we have a 60+ page advocating for the firing of our HC .
Not exactly. That may have been the title of the thread, but few posters were actually calling for Collins to be canned right now - only down the road if he doesn't turn it around.
This is his third year and patience is wearing thin.
There were many more calls for the replacement of assistants.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not exactly. That may have been the title of the thread, but few posters were actually calling for Collins to be canned right now - only down the road if he doesn't turn it around.
This is his third year and patience is wearing thin.
There were many more calls for the replacement of assistants.

Okay. The larger point remains however.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Try to be respectful toward gtblaze in the future. I notice his location is Destin FL and he might invite us down there for a golf weekend.
Good Lord how did I miss that???? We have corporate policies against taking bribes and kickbacks from site members but the suits here aren't keeping our compensation in align with recent inflation so I have become a little forgetful at times about these things.I have started treating them as suggestions rather than firm policy decisions.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Losing by 70 pretty much hurts the program in many ways.
  • National image
  • Recruiting
  • The ability to attract new fans
  • Ticket sales
  • Revenue
We're not ready this year or next, but as the old saying goes, pay back is hell. One day with or without Collins, Tech needs to kick Clemson's a**.

slugboy

Staff member
We are a developmental board. The elite posters/administrators/moderators end up at the factory boards. I think we would be better if everyone here weren't required to take calculus. ;)

I Guess If You Say So GIF