Early 2014 Coastal Prediction

Mack

Helluva Engineer
1. I don't think Duke can win anything like 10 this year, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to win 7. I think they probably lost more in losing Cornette and Cockrell then we did losing Lee and Attachou. Cockrell was the heart of their D and the best DB in the ACC. Cornette made them a force in the red zone. Oh, and those four TBs they have coming back? They all sucked.

2. UNC is UNC. I thought that by now they would be able to get good production out of their players, but it seems to be defeating even Fedora. And I have no clue why this guy thinks they can so easily replace Brenner, who was their best QB in ages.

3. VT won't be anywhere near as good as they were even last season. If you think Duke has QB problems …

4. Duke Johnson broke his ankle. Rinse and repeat. These guys will not be as effective on either side of the ball as last year. Still, I'd pick them first, if I had heavy money on the table.

5. Pitt? Seriously?

6. Nope. I pick us second. This guys problem is a re-cap of lots of Tech fans: he doesn't know how to evaluate a system offense. We lost a QB and our top RB in 2013 too. No problem as far as O production goes. As for the D … well, we'll see. We could end up here, if we get a rash of injuries like we did last year on the OL on D.
Yep on paper your prediction seems ralistic but we all know the game aint played on paper.I think we win eight and PJ stays on .I think if Dook wins seven they give David C a raise but VT may be harder than we think..hard to beat them up there.Pitt.......have no clue even though its a big univ and they have had teams decent in the past I dont have enough on them to say anything about them........again we win eight !

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yep on paper your prediction seems ralistic but we all know the game aint played on paper.I think we win eight and PJ stays on .I think if Dook wins seven they give David C a raise but VT may be harder than we think..hard to beat them up there.Pitt.......have no clue even though its a big univ and they have had teams decent in the past I dont have enough on them to say anything about them........again we win eight !
If this year's O is +3 points better and our D is -3 points better, we'll win more than 8. I think that's entirely possible. Injury is the critical unknown (among others).

If this year's O is +3 points better and our D is -3 points better, we'll win more than 8. I think that's entirely possible. Injury is the critical unknown (among others).
Too simple of a concept. What if our opponents are +6 on offense compared to last year's edition? What if Frank Beamer gets caught smoking crack? What if Duke Johnson hijacks a plane to Ukraine? Huh? Never thought about that, now did ya?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I must be the outlier then because I think Duke's going to be very good this year. Unless their QB gets hurt again before we play them, I expect our game versus them to be much more difficult this year than it was last year with him on the bench hurt.

To me, their biggest loss was losing the Offensive Coordinator who went to University of Florida. If they got another who can utilize his players like they did last year, their offense will be tough. I have no idea about their defense. But if you watched that Texas A&M bowl game, they were a better team at the end of the year than we were....whether we want to admit it or not.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
This thread looked like two completely different threads merged into one in the last couple of pages so I cleaned out the fluff a little bit.

I apologize if there were some collateral damage to posts with some relevance to the topic at hand.

F*** bark madley
It isn't Bradley, it is Brian Fremeau from Espn. He is notorious for outlandish predictions. If you look at his Big Ten and other conference prognostications, they all trend toward the unexpected. As far as the ACC goes, he has us 5th but we are ahead of Miami. What's up with that? He has FSU winning in the Atlantic but losing a game along the way. Who beats them other than Mr. Krabs and his crabby patty. These journalists have to write something, and sometimes they are no more accurate that some whacky alumnus on his alma mater's message board.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
It isn't Bradley, it is Brian Fremeau from Espn. He is notorious for outlandish predictions. If you look at his Big Ten and other conference prognostications, they all trend toward the unexpected. As far as the ACC goes, he has us 5th but we are ahead of Miami. What's up with that? He has FSU winning in the Atlantic but losing a game along the way. Who beats them other than Mr. Krabs and his crabby patty. These journalists have to write something, and sometimes they are no more accurate that some whacky alumnus on his alma mater's message board.
I really hate Bradley though. He always finds a way to put a negative spin on Georgia Tech.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yeah anything is possible but I see Georgie just better than we are and Miami seems to have got it together and of course Clemins has plenty of athletes so they are the only guys I think have better folks.I say we win eight and PJ stays and the opinions continue for another year or so_Of course if VT decides to play well ,and they do vs us,we could be in trouble up there.Dook will be better but not as good as last years record but they can build off last year and NC schools are just head cases.........who knows we win them all !

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fremeau said:
The Yellow Jackets aren’t given much of a chance in our projections to contend for an ACC title, mostly because the division schedule is unkind with road trips to Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Pittsburgh. To stay in contention with that crowd, the Yellow Jackets need to get opponents off the field more regularly. Georgia Tech forced three-and-outs on only 29 percent of opponent drives (90th nationally) in 2013.

I think this paragraph expresses my hesitancy about the season as well. However, I'm encouraged by the attitude, if not the explicit substance, of what I've heard from Roof et al about our D.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That seems like a fairly big deal to me

It is a big deal. I would think that Cutcliffe could take back over the offense if he had to, but we'll see how it works out.
I do know that their QB, Boone, is a heck of a QB and that can help with the learning curve for a new OC.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That spread offense they ran last year doesn't seem like it would exactly be in Cutcliffs wheelhouse so who knows how that would/will work out?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think this paragraph expresses my hesitancy about the season as well. However, I'm encouraged by the attitude, if not the explicit substance, of what I've heard from Roof et al about our D.
Take heart my friend......still think we are better than most in the ACC.Think we can handle Dook,NC schools and maybe this year VT and Miami....we shall see but its time to win and win big.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
And guys want to argue the offense is to blame. LOL.
Agree my friend by when you run up and down the field vs sisters of the blind and get 158 plus yds of offense vs Miss.......I can see the turmoil.We get about what 350-400 yds rushing vs opponents but it seems when we have to have a death march we get stopped....agree though the defense needs to get way better and quicker soon......cant continue to use our offense as a defense.Got to stop folks.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
It is a big deal. I would think that Cutcliffe could take back over the offense if he had to, but we'll see how it works out.
I do know that their QB, Boone, is a heck of a QB and that can help with the learning curve for a new OC.
Cutcliff is pretty smart guy no doubt and has done well at Ole Miss and now Dook.I would think he would become a ex facto qb coach for Boone since it is clear he can coach a qb or two....aka the Manning s.