Early 2014 Coastal Prediction

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Is there anything you like about our team? This is not snarky, I really want to know.

yes, you are being snarky.My comment was VERY realistic and not unreasonable.Show me the true replacements for our TWO! best Def players? (incl the really ONLY pass rusher) at this point .
btw- I like Nealy ,Gotsis and Davis. I also like the apparent aggressiveness in the Def.BUT--it doesn't mean much except on the field vs CONFERENCE opponents (er,not Tulane,etc).
AND--we don't really know if our def looks ok because our OFF line is so questionable at this time..

The Duke hype is ridiculous. They have a great coach and are returning most of their team but I think everyone is forgetting they barely pulled it out against VT, NCSU, WF, & UNC. A lot of things fell their way last year and it’s not a knock on them and I’m not saying they can’t do it again but I just don’t see them as a great team. It is still the coastal so you never know what might happen.
Now, now. Let's not get our knickers in a wad over this. It is April, Spring practice is over, there is nothing to write about, and Duke is and will continue to be the feel good story right up until they get whacked the first time this fall. They deserve the hype, doing what they did last year, coming from where they were. They won 10 games, mi amigo. If we were coming off a ten win season (sigh), and a division championship, we'd get the love, too. Let 'em have their place in the sun for now.

yes, you are being snarky.My comment was VERY realistic and not unreasonable.Show me the true replacements for our TWO! best Def players? (incl the really ONLY pass rusher) at this point .
btw- I like Nealy ,Gotsis and Davis. I also like the apparent aggressiveness in the Def.BUT--it doesn't mean much except on the field vs CONFERENCE opponents (er,not Tulane,etc).
AND--we don't really know if our def looks ok because our OFF line is so questionable at this time..
What means snarky?

I too am cautious about our def.More likely to be weaker than better.
On QBs-UNC has their QB back from last 5 games,uga-he beat us here! Pitt may lost QB but found 230 lb TB in bowl game.(er,we lose 30f 4 DLs), uM-with Duke Johnson back (again our DL weaker),hmmmm
No, defense will be better---much better. Roof and Pelton and staff have more time with the kids. There will equal or better talent on the field at every position except Attoachu, and there are ways we will compensate for his loss via scheme. We will play faster and be a more swarming, gang tackling, rush to the ball kind of unit.

Not according to here.... http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/acc/2014-duke-blue-devils-football-schedule.php
ACC home games: North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
ACC road games: Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh

ACC is an 8 game schedule not 9
I think you are correct. And Duke's schedule sets up fairly nicely for them
Elon, @Troy, Kansas, Tulane, @Miami then a bye, @Tech, UVA, another bye, @Pittsburgh, @Syracuse, Va. Tech, UNC (Thurs) and Wake.
So they get four warm-ups and then Miami. A week off to prepare for the option, then UVA and a week off before going on the road to Pittsburgh and the Carrier Dome, then two divisions foes at home and Wake. Six wins for certain without breaking a sweat. All it takes is 3 surprises and Cutcliffe is back to 9 wins, a bowl and a chance at 20 wins in two years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think you are correct. And Duke's schedule sets up fairly nicely for them
Elon, @Troy, Kansas, Tulane, @Miami then a bye, @Tech, UVA, another bye, @Pittsburgh, @Syracuse, Va. Tech, UNC (Thurs) and Wake.
So they get four warm-ups and then Miami. A week off to prepare for the option, then UVA and a week off before going on the road to Pittsburgh and the Carrier Dome, then two divisions foes at home and Wake. Six wins for certain without breaking a sweat. All it takes is 3 surprises and Cutcliffe is back to 9 wins, a bowl and a chance at 20 wins in two years.
Talk about a cake schedule, I thought ours was nice.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
OK, good start. Remember, baby steps. With a little more effort, you might be able to same something nice about the offense. Just take a deep breath and think happy thoughts. Go.....

ps. That was snarky. ;)

my ORIGINAL comment was about the Defense so I stayed with that-- -the OFF has 3 guys,Smelter,Shaq, and Laskey who could be all-conf
btw--my happy/hopeful thoughts of last yr about having an experienced def with dynamic new QB/Off making a wonderful season and a bowl win were crushed by the normal PJ/Murphy's law--something is going to go wrong when you don't have go enough good players/coaching --fool me once ,shame on you,fool me twice,shame on me

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
1. I don't think Duke can win anything like 10 this year, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to win 7. I think they probably lost more in losing Cornette and Cockrell then we did losing Lee and Attachou. Cockrell was the heart of their D and the best DB in the ACC. Cornette made them a force in the red zone. Oh, and those four TBs they have coming back? They all sucked.

2. UNC is UNC. I thought that by now they would be able to get good production out of their players, but it seems to be defeating even Fedora. And I have no clue why this guy thinks they can so easily replace Brenner, who was their best QB in ages.

3. VT won't be anywhere near as good as they were even last season. If you think Duke has QB problems …

4. Duke Johnson broke his ankle. Rinse and repeat. These guys will not be as effective on either side of the ball as last year. Still, I'd pick them first, if I had heavy money on the table.

5. Pitt? Seriously?

6. Nope. I pick us second. This guys problem is a re-cap of lots of Tech fans: he doesn't know how to evaluate a system offense. We lost a QB and our top RB in 2013 too. No problem as far as O production goes. As for the D … well, we'll see. We could end up here, if we get a rash of injuries like we did last year on the OL on D.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Just because you don't like the question doesn't make it snarky. I think it was a valid question given your posting history.

thwgjacket

Virginia Tech only has 5 returners on D. They return one guy on the DL and one LB, that tends to bode well for us. There offense looks like it is going to be atrocious. The final score in their Spring Game was 7-3. When you have 5 returning starters on D and your offense is still that bad it doesn't look good. They do have the Texas Tech kid coming in but here's a write up of their Spring Game and it does not look pretty. http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/4/27/5659404/virgnia-tech-hokies-football-spring-game-recap

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Virginia Tech only has 5 returners on D. They return one guy on the DL and one LB, that tends to bode well for us. There offense looks like it is going to be atrocious. The final score in their Spring Game was 7-3. When you have 5 returning starters on D and your offense is still that bad it doesn't look good. They do have the Texas Tech kid coming in but here's a write up of their Spring Game and it does not look pretty. http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/4/27/5659404/virgnia-tech-hokies-football-spring-game-recap

Thanks for the link. I had to vote no at the end on whether I was satisifed with the Spring game. They completed some passes (to the intended players and only 2 to the D), got some positive yards rushing and didn't have all their kicks blocked. I would have been satisfied with no offense.

The loss to VT by us last year was a travesty. The worst moment of the year for me by far. We were the superior team and choked - and that is a Chokie specialty. So I don't count this as a win till we put on our big boy pants and beat the crap out of them. We will be better than VT on paper this year too, and the historical precedent is we will find a way to lose.

1. I don't think Duke can win anything like 10 this year, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to win 7. I think they probably lost more in losing Cornette and Cockrell then we did losing Lee and Attachou. Cockrell was the heart of their D and the best DB in the ACC. Cornette made them a force in the red zone. Oh, and those four TBs they have coming back? They all sucked.

2. UNC is UNC. I thought that by now they would be able to get good production out of their players, but it seems to be defeating even Fedora. And I have no clue why this guy thinks they can so easily replace Brenner, who was their best QB in ages.

3. VT won't be anywhere near as good as they were even last season. If you think Duke has QB problems …

4. Duke Johnson broke his ankle. Rinse and repeat. These guys will not be as effective on either side of the ball as last year. Still, I'd pick them first, if I had heavy money on the table.

5. Pitt? Seriously?

6. Nope. I pick us second. This guys problem is a re-cap of lots of Tech fans: he doesn't know how to evaluate a system offense. We lost a QB and our top RB in 2013 too. No problem as far as O production goes. As for the D … well, we'll see. We could end up here, if we get a rash of injuries like we did last year on the OL on D.
Realistically, second is not better than 6th, is it? It's all about getting to the ACCCG, not the Emerald Bowl.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the link. I had to vote no at the end on whether I was satisifed with the Spring game. They completed some passes (to the intended players and only 2 to the D), got some positive yards rushing and didn't have all their kicks blocked. I would have been satisfied with no offense.

The loss to VT by us last year was a travesty. The worst moment of the year for me by far. We were the superior team and choked - and that is a Chokie specialty. So I don't count this as a win till we put on our big boy pants and beat the crap out of them. We will be better than VT on paper this year too, and the historical precedent is we will find a way to lose.

It really seems like we are snake bit against them in particular. It always seems like we're a play away against these guys but something happens.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Let's not make things personal guys. Everyone is entitled to their opinion....even when they use BS facts to support said opinions :D

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's not make things personal guys. Everyone is entitled to their opinion....even when they use BS facts to support said opinions :D

Wait a second, my **** doesn't stink :LOL: I agree with no personal stuff. There are opinions that we hold and try to defend. I've had some of mine changed by further facts and thought. That is how I have stayed happily married for 35 years.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
It really seems like we are snake bit against them in particular. It always seems like we're a play away against these guys but something happens.
I agree,we do strange things at times vs VT.This year its at their place and we really need a win ....really need a win.Yes they are not on paper as good as we are according to some but they are well coached and have history of handling us ..my fear is we are getting to the point that we will become the Brooklyn Dodgers of the fifties with the cry "wait until next year".We have to whip them for a good year.