Early 2014 Coastal Prediction

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
we play at Duke again this year?
Did you miss the ACC meeting? They enacted the FGT rule whereby every year until 2025, we must be away for at least one opponent that we were away in the previous year to balance the schedule out.

Animal02

Banned
Duke ACC schedule for 2014

Home - GT. Pitt, NC State, Miami
Away - UVa, VT, WF, NC, FSU

I see 5 conference losses - GT, Miami, at VT, at NC and at FSU.

http://bleacherreport.com/duke-football/schedule

Not according to here.... http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/acc/2014-duke-blue-devils-football-schedule.php
ACC home games: North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
ACC road games: Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh

ACC is an 8 game schedule not 9

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I know we're replacing our QB, but so is everyone else. Here are the teams on our schedule with new starters at QB next year. Most of these teams QB's outperformed ours this year, so I would have to say it's a bigger loss for each...
  • Clemson
  • Georgia
  • Miami
  • Virginia Tech
  • Pittsburgh
  • North Carolina
Duke had a great year, but they have ZERO defense, and we have them in Atlanta. We're going to have a shot at the Coastal...but so is everyone else, minus UVA.

We need to be careful not to expect too much from our defense though...gotta be honest, the only reason no one was pissed at them this year is because of the dumpster fire in 2012. Honestly, both the offense and defense were just OK in 2013. We'll need one of them to get better if we want to get to 8-9 wins and squeak out the Coastal. Both will need to improve for us to win it convincingly.

I too am cautious about our def.More likely to be weaker than better.
On QBs-UNC has their QB back from last 5 games,uga-he beat us here! Pitt may lost QB but found 230 lb TB in bowl game.(er,we lose 30f 4 DLs), uM-with Duke Johnson back (again our DL weaker),hmmmm

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow

Not sure where you got thsese teams from. Duke plays:

Home: North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Away: Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh

I see them going 6-2 or 7-1. There only conference losses last year in regualr season were when Duke lost Anthony Boone to collarbone injury.

From the bowl game they basically return their entire team except for 1 OL, Anunike, and Ross Cockrell.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused. He has us at 7-6 (5-3). That's a record including the bowl game. So best case out of conference he has us going 2-2? I'm sorry I just don't see that with our schedule there.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow

this is why you never go to bleacher report. Duke has a very friendly schedule. I can't see them losing more than 1 ACC game. They avoid Clemson and FSU for second year in a row and get UNC and VT at home this year.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/acc/could-duke-go-undefeated-this-regular-season/ here's an interesting article I read about Duke the other day. As you can see, Duke is no longer the Duke of old when they have these types of stories written about them.

There is also no way we finish behind UNC. I'm expecting us to compete and finish in the top 3 of coastal. We still have owned the state of NC. I guess we have a 11 game winning streak or longer against teams from that state.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm confused. He has us at 7-6 (5-3). That's a record including the bowl game. So best case out of conference he has us going 2-2? I'm sorry I just don't see that with our schedule there.
That is last year's record. He didn't post his W/L predictions.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

And he was all over the place last year, as any rational person would be. There are so many unknowns that unless you are predicting FSU or Clemson to be 1-2 overall in ACC, you really don't know. Even once you get an idea of the teams character in a season, key injuries (JN for us, Duke Johnson for Miami, etc) can make all the difference

Here's how J Howell ranks the teams based on last season's performance and the schedule this year: http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm . You can talk about how the non-historical factors will change this, but the best guess for future performance is usually how the program did the previous year. This has us third behind VT and Miami. I think we finish second behind Miami, but hope we run the board .......

Florida State
Clemson
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Miami (Florida)
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Duke
Syracuse
Boston College
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Virginia

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's how J Howell preseason predicted the 2013 season:
Florida State
Clemson
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Miami (Florida)
Pittsburgh
North Carolina State
Syracuse
Virginia
Wake Forest
Duke
Boston College
Maryland

Like I said, other than the top teams of FSU and Clemson, who have massive depth, the rest is a crap shoot.

Duke was a fluke, IMHO. I'm glad they won Coastal since they haven't been good for decades. Duke is the definition of lack of depth.

I am beginning to look forward to watching the season unfold, Spring is in the air ;)(y)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure where you got thsese teams from. Duke plays:

Home: North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Away: Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh

The UNC game a will probably have three times the UNC fans than Duke fans at the Duke stadium. The problem with playing at Duke is it is so quiet that it seems like a scrimmage, but the UNC fans will change that.

UNC hates Duke and will beat the tar out of them and then go back for seconds. You don't think UNC isn't still embarrassed by overlooking Duke last year?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is really good for our team. The lower the expectations from the media, the more "fire in the belly" of our players this off season. We need that considering there's no big name team in week 1 (or 2 or 3, for that matter.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we don't bring along the b players with playing time in first three games and we get injuries we will be 4th - 5th.
With playing time for b players and injuries to key players = 2nd or third ,
with no playing time for b and no injuries = 2nd ( gassed defense in quarter) ,
With playing time for b and no injuries = 2nd or 1st.
Since it is off season - 1st.
Put I'm in coach , they're ready too play wolf ford!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The Duke hype is ridiculous. They have a great coach and are returning most of their team but I think everyone is forgetting they barely pulled it out against VT, NCSU, WF, & UNC. A lot of things fell their way last year and it’s not a knock on them and I’m not saying they can’t do it again but I just don’t see them as a great team. It is still the coastal so you never know what might happen.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The Duke hype is ridiculous. They have a great coach and are returning most of their team but I think everyone is forgetting they barely pulled it out against VT, NCSU, WF, & UNC. A lot of things fell their way last year and it’s not a knock on them and I’m not saying they can’t do it again but I just don’t see them as a great team. It is still the coastal so you never know what might happen.

IMHO, Duke will be taken seriously and will not be overlooked by anyone this year. Thus they will lose 2-3 more games than what they did last season.