Dynamic Duo true frosh impact

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok so there could certainly be more than two true frosh make an impact next year. Two stand out to me.

Jamious Griffin. Initially I thought he had a chance to play but might not due to depth and experience at TB. The departure of Benson opens the door even more for him. His film is very exciting and the current players at his spot don’t have a ton of experience over him. And experience at TB is not as significant as at QB or at OL. Even if he doesn’t win the starting job I join those who think he will at minimum burn his shirt and play quite a bit. First two games in should tell the tale. We are in a great spot at TB.

Chico Bennett. Loved his film and it appears he has bulked up with real good weight. Loved his quickness and wheels and he’s got the length of frame out coaches covet. A very big plus.......Dude has great hands. He could give tight ends pure hell in covering them.

These are my 2 picks to contribute early. Griffin is probably a favorite of many to do so. What 2 incoming frosh do you think will contribute the most?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
While I live Chico's name, and I think he has a good chance of making an impact, I think the two that will have the most impact will be Amharean Brown (likely starter at slot) and I'm liking the potential of Jordan Huff (long CB, went through spring practice).

Sleepers are Nazir Barnett and Kalani Norris. I think our slot guys are going to be key this season and I think the freshman will get their shot.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Sylvain Y DE - Has the strength and quickness (did you see the spring game?) to make plays in backfield. Not a strong position on the depth chart.

Dylan Deveney - Lack of depth says this guy gets on the field and makes a solid impact this season. Will be interesting to see how he looks after the summer. Could definitely get on the field in some blocking roles if he beefs up a lil more.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Griffin and Camp and maybe Yates by the end of the year.

Like that. Disagree with Yates. Unless he really shows out, think it's a RS year for him. Not down on him per se, just that I think we are absolutely fine at QB depth and won't push him unless he separates which is possible but very few freshmen really do.

Those Camp kids sure know how to mature their bodies. We got such a need for size inside that I think he gets PT almost guaranteed, so if he grows in knowledge and technique, he can be an impact player by season's end.

I'm big on Jamious too, although disagree with OP that freshmen need to learn little compared to other positions here. If we have a special athlete, it is a place where freshmen can contribute right away, but Jamious' film stands out largely due to his technique -- knowing the blocking and reading things develop so he hits the right spot at the right time. I haven't seen enough to judge his blocking and passing game skills. Usually not well represented on film, but given what we know of his work ethic and what's shown on film, I expect him to be well ahead of freshman pace there too. Really, the limiting factor is our depth. We'll sub plenty, and even if he's number 1 overall, he might not be the best fit for certain situations, so touches could be limited. On the flip side, a beast like that with fresh legs at the end of the game facing a gassed DL (esp. with much increased pace of play) will rip off some big chunks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Like that. Disagree with Yates. Unless he really shows out, think it's a RS year for him. Not down on him per se, just that I think we are absolutely fine at QB depth and won't push him unless he separates which is possible but very few freshmen really do.

Those Camp kids sure know how to mature their bodies. We got such a need for size inside that I think he gets PT almost guaranteed, so if he grows in knowledge and technique, he can be an impact player by season's end.

I'm big on Jamious too, although disagree with OP that freshmen need to learn little compared to other positions here. If we have a special athlete, it is a place where freshmen can contribute right away, but Jamious' film stands out largely due to his technique -- knowing the blocking and reading things develop so he hits the right spot at the right time. I haven't seen enough to judge his blocking and passing game skills. Usually not well represented on film, but given what we know of his work ethic and what's shown on film, I expect him to be well ahead of freshman pace there too. Really, the limiting factor is our depth. We'll sub plenty, and even if he's number 1 overall, he might not be the best fit for certain situations, so touches could be limited. On the flip side, a beast like that with fresh legs at the end of the game facing a gassed DL (esp. with much increased pace of play) will rip off some big chunks.
You know thinking about it I really like Yates love his attitude and spirit but for him to start would mean our other QB's would be having trouble which I don't want to see. Hope he can still get in a few games but be able to redshirt.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I think having TC as a coach will be huge for him. Tashard knew a lot in his time about the work you put in to know where to be. I think that is going to really help him.

bos

Helluva Engineer
D'Quan Douse - He's a got a man's body already and may contribute day one. Either as a DE/DT or blocking/goaline TE.

Jordan Yates - Lucas and Graham may be the only two QBs by start of season. Has a chance to become starter by end of year if they struggle.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Dylan Deveney, big 6-6, 255 TE. This guy fits the perfect TE proto-type and I really like having a TE option on 3rd downs.

Not a Frosh, but new Grad Transfer from Vandy, Jared Sothers OL, again nice size 6-5, 315. Looking for him to be a star on a retooled OL.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jamal Camp- 6’2 295 currently, with the loss of BA it is imperative that we get a push up the middle. His strength and leverage could be just what we need

ibee....have you ever seen a FR DL come in with the strength needed to be a difference maker at this spot? I know we have been forced to use guys there early out of necessity. I'm just wondering how many FR are really ready to help out, even after a RS year.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if I can narrow it down to 2. We need help in the trenches and from what I have seen I think both Camp and "The Belgian" (nickname pending) both make a major impact. In addition, watching the speed AND quickness from Brown at the spring game, I don't think they can afford to keep him on the bench. Then of course Griffin looks like a beast in his film and his workout posts so he will likely be a major part of the RB rotation.

As mentioned, Chico, Huff, and Deveney are also strong candidates to be major contributors, but I would not be that surprised if they redshirted.

I am very excited about Yates, but I hope that LJ (or Graham) are good enough that he redshirts this year.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yeah, Ben Anderson wasnt as big but just as strong. Vance Walker as well
I don't think Ben nor Vance played as freshmen, or if they did it was very little. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm thinking both redshirted. Mansfield Wrotto is the last one I remember playing/starting as a true freshman at DT. He was big and strong enough but was still somewhat of a liability out there as a true frosh. A big part of why he was out there was flunk-gate. He ended up being an excellent OL before he was done and played in the league for a few years.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't know if I can narrow it down to 2. We need help in the trenches and from what I have seen I think both Camp and "The Belgian" (nickname pending) both make a major impact. In addition, watching the speed AND quickness from Brown at the spring game, I don't think they can afford to keep him on the bench. Then of course Griffin looks like a beast in his film and his workout posts so he will likely be a major part of the RB rotation.

As mentioned, Chico, Huff, and Deveney are also strong candidates to be major contributors, but I would not be that surprised if they redshirted.

I am very excited about Yates, but I hope that LJ (or Graham) are good enough that he redshirts this year.

From my eyes, i wouldn’t expect much Sylvain. He looks the part, but from a football standpoint he’s struggling to walk and chew bubble gum

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Ben nor Vance played as freshmen, or if they did it was very little. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm thinking both redshirted. Mansfield Wrotto is the last one I remember playing/starting as a true freshman at DT. He was big and strong enough but was still somewhat of a liability out there as a true frosh. A big part of why he was out there was flunk-gate. He ended up being an excellent OL before he was done and played in the league for a few years.

Vance did pretty well his first year as a very undersized DT IIRC (i think he played at 265?) His stats were probably slightly inflated by scheme, but he was making plays.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/vance-walker-1.html

I think Ben redshirted? But that could've been due to how successful we were at recruiting and developing DL under Giff Smith.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ok so there could certainly be more than two true frosh make an impact next year. Two stand out to me.

Jamious Griffin. Initially I thought he had a chance to play but might not due to depth and experience at TB. The departure of Benson opens the door even more for him. His film is very exciting and the current players at his spot don’t have a ton of experience over him. And experience at TB is not as significant as at QB or at OL. Even if he doesn’t win the starting job I join those who think he will at minimum burn his shirt and play quite a bit. First two games in should tell the tale. We are in a great spot at TB.

Chico Bennett. Loved his film and it appears he has bulked up with real good weight. Loved his quickness and wheels and he’s got the length of frame out coaches covet. A very big plus.......Dude has great hands. He could give tight ends pure hell in covering them.

These are my 2 picks to contribute early. Griffin is probably a favorite of many to do so. What 2 incoming frosh do you think will contribute the most?

Name for this Dynamic Duo? Chico and The Man

pay me later

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
While i agree those 2 are going to be major impact players, i think chico will be lost in the blitz blur of whose is bliting now.

The blur on the offense will be speed at rb and at slot receiver. Rb - Griffin will be nicknamed fast man and A Brown a slot will live up to the nickname cgc called him , "little very fast man". There nickname will be Fast and Faster.

We have only seen speed like when we played miami a few years ago.

What if he is The Man??
Philosphical question for u
What is it with gt? The question can gt begin to have nice things seems to answer its self in the negative. Why does it seem like it never being yes is a "first principal". From thence we begin......

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I've stuck with the notion that Jamious comes in and burns his redshirt. I've even been quoted as saying he might even start Day 1. After the spring game, I think Jordan Mason is our RB1 until further notice. But I still think Griffin gets more time than just mop up duty. Hes just too strong and athletic to waste away on the bench.

Ahmarean Brown- Dude is a STUD. Nuff said. I think Jalen Camp gets drafted next year, but Brown might be our next Bebe.