Duplicate Numbers

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the roster on rw.com, we have TONS of duplicate number guys (which is allowed as long as they aren't on the field together at the same time).

On one hand, I like this b/c kids love to have the "cool" numbers (i.e. 20s and below).

On the other hand, it will be something for coaches to have to keep up with during special situations (like onside kicks or hail mary coverage) when you have guys like Juanyeh and Camp both wearing #1.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
It does seem like it could be an issue given how much we’ve heard about position flexibility and having a lot of players playing both ways. I guess it’s worth the trouble to be able to tell recruits they can have certain numbers.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing the NCAA has some stupid rule requiring players to wear the same number the whole game. Those guys need to join the 19th century! ;)-

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Really? Wow. I was pretty sure that was a major penalty (like unsportsmanlike conduct.) If it isn't then we should definitely do it to confuse the opponent sideline!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Really? Wow. I was pretty sure that was a major penalty (like unsportsmanlike conduct.) If it isn't then we should definitely do it to confuse the opponent sideline!

I'm not my post was clear. There was a LB or DB wearing the #1, and they wanted him to play some downs at RB. However, they had a WR wearing #1. So, as I remember it they notified the officials and the opposing coaches that he was coming in, and they gave him a different number.

Fwiw, this is a 90% recollection of what happened several years ago.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm not my post was clear. There was a LB or DB wearing the #1, and they wanted him to play some downs at RB. However, they had a WR wearing #1. So, as I remember it they notified the officials and the opposing coaches that he was coming in, and they gave him a different number.

I don’t remember for sure if it was Ugag, but I’m pretty sure I remember this scenario happening. One guy put on a jersey with no name over his real jersey so he could play downs on the other side of the ball. I do remember it actually being an issue at Ugag between a RB and DB/WR dual player. They couldn’t run plays with both of them in the game because they both wore #1. Fans were pretty upset about it.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

you are correct - I distinctly recall FSU's Jalen Ramsey changing his jersey on the sideline for the same reason.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember, in the late 90’s, watching a U. of Washington game and noticing that the starting QB wore #7 as did their star DB. I suppose this has been a common practice for decades, maybe more so on the west coast than elsewhere.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t remember for sure if it was Ugag, but I’m pretty sure I remember this scenario happening. One guy put on a jersey with no name over his real jersey so he could play downs on the other side of the ball. I do remember it actually being an issue at Ugag between a RB and DB/WR dual player. They couldn’t run plays with both of them in the game because they both wore #1. Fans were pretty upset about it.
Yeah that was Branden Smith. Starting CB in 2011 and also played some RB, wore #1 just like another RB on the team that year, Isaiah Crowell.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that was Branden Smith. Starting CB in 2011 and also played some RB, wore #1 just like another RB on the team that year, Isaiah Crowell.

Thank-you. Isaiah Crowell was definitely one of the players I had in mind in my foggy memory.