Duke Postgame

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
You should, you know. Here they are:

http://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/football/2018/gt101318.htm

If you go down to team stats you will see … that both Tech and Duke lost exactly the same number of yards running the ball: 33. They had 11 TFLs - way too many - but all were for minimal amounts; we had 6, btw, and Cutcliffe would say that was way too many too. Again, the problem was when we had TFLs, just like the fumbles. We got stopped on 4th 3 times, largely because of assignment mix-ups and once, Coach said, when the pulling guard tripped. Two of those were deep in Duke territory and were hard to make up for. I hate it when that happens.

Also, we ran the ball well enough - 78% of our usual rush yardage. They're good on D, but that was enough to win. Except for the mistakes. That was only partly due to their schemes.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. "We were good enough to win if we didn't make any mistakes" wow great observation Einstein.

You think the offense was good enough? Even if we pretend none of the fumbles happened, we still were shut down on offense. You may call that making mistakes, I call that terrible offense.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
more upset about an experienced Olineman repeatedly making incorrect line calls and upperclassmen fumbling.[/QUOTE] after seeing Duke prior coverage he should have been instructed to fair catch IMHO

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the point you are trying to make. "We were good enough to win if we didn't make any mistakes" wow great observation Einstein.

You think the offense was good enough? Even if we pretend none of the fumbles happened, we still were shut down on offense. You may call that making mistakes, I call that terrible offense.
Read it again. If you don't know enough about football to realize the role of mistakes in close games where both Ds are playing well … then there isn't much to respond to.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
First downs and yardage don't mean much when you don't put points on the board.

Ranking teams by points per play in their most recent game, the Duke game put us at 115 out of 130 FBS teams. The 4th quarter GT touchdown was due to Duke giving us the run and stopping the pass to make us eat clock since they had a 21 point lead. Essentially they gave us those points in exchange for time off the clock, which was good coaching.

Sadly, Duke is better than us, and this Duke team isn't as good on offense as other Cutcliff Duke teams. In a mistake free game by both teams, they would still win--by a smaller margin, but they would still win.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This team is basically the same team we had last year. I think we can expect similar results. I thought that at the beginning of the year. It will take different players to get different results. Don't expect a lot better for a couple of more years. This offense requires a dynamic QB to be exceptional, as most offenses do. Defense is about attitude and pressure. We are making strides there. Special teams, we need someone who can kick the ball into the end zone consistently on kickoffs and can make long range field goals. We are still looking for that. We also need to hold special teams players accountable and change them out if they do not produce results. Changing the Coach will probably extend the time frame on achieving these things. So I think whether Johnson stays or goes, we are going to be middling for a few more seasons. The years are running out for me so I have decided to just watch and try to enjoy each game.

Go Jackets!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This team is basically the same team we had last year. I think we can expect similar results. I thought that at the beginning of the year. It will take different players to get different results. Don't expect a lot better for a couple of more years. This offense requires a dynamic QB to be exceptional, as most offenses do. Defense is about attitude and pressure. We are making strides there. Special teams, we need someone who can kick the ball into the end zone consistently on kickoffs and can make long range field goals. We are still looking for that. We also need to hold special teams players accountable and change them out if they do not produce results. Changing the Coach will probably extend the time frame on achieving these things. So I think whether Johnson stays or goes, we are going to be middling for a few more seasons. The years are running out for me so I have decided to just watch and try to enjoy each game.

Go Jackets!
Changing the coach will give us A CHANCE to improve recruiting (esp OFF)
btw--Nobody has mentioned that this team is without possibly their best OFf and DEF player--AJ and Benson.How much difference that would have made is debatable but it didn't help

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
First downs and yardage don't mean much when you don't put points on the board. We had one TD before garbage time and it likely should not have counted because of offensive pass interference.

I agree with the perception that Carter pushed off (which he did) and at the time in the stands I thought we would get the flag. But if you watch the film you will see the Duke DB holding on to the throat of Carter's jersey before and during Carter's push. I believe the refs saw the holding by the DB and picked up the flag, a good no call.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I was on vacation during this game. As a season ticket holder, it pained me to miss homecoming, but I was glad not to see Duke beat us i person. I was in Canada, getting very few updates on my phone. I checked at 3 min to go in the 3rd and was happy to see the 7-7 score. (I had previously seen the 7-0 quick score in the 1st). 28-14 floored me - and until I saw @stech81 's post with the footballs and the reminder of that awful Miami game in the monsoon. I mentioned how mad I was about 18 times to my vacation buddies, who weren't all that interested in my moping. And then...seeing that glorious score of 36-16 made my day. Well, kind of...it is a double-edged sword to root for LSU, but you know what I mean...I have watched parts of the game and hope to watch all of it this weekend.

What happened to TQM? How did he get hurt? Is he still hurt? I think Oliver has done really well this year running the ball when he's had to come in - but of course we've been fortunate to be able to run the same 2-3 plays when he has come in, so ??

Seems we just plain got beat on the line in the first half and beat ourselves later. VT is struggling this year - I am hopeful that we'll get it together against them.