Duke Offense

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Did I hear wrong a while back or is Duke suppose to be running the flexbone or a version of option this year?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't watch them play last weekend, but their new quarterback, Boone, is apparently more of a dual-threat type of QB instead of a pocket passer. They are adapting the offense to his strengths from what I understand.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I watched some of their game against NC Central. It looked more like the zone read option type of offense to me. I struck me with the stats from their game was how balanced their offense was in terms of pass vs. run. It was definitely more pass-heavy when Thaddeus and Sean were the QBs.

Here's an article about Duke moving to a "single wing offense":
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/04/2725133/duke-opens-spring-football-practice.html

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I posted on ST - just a some quick observations from the first couple drives:

I'm watching some of the replay. Boone (new QB) looks pretty good. Definitely a running threat with a big frame (6'0" 230) and good acceleration. Looks to have a decent arm too although their WRs don't inspire much fear downfield in the passing game. Oddly enough they like to bring in R-Jr Brandon Connette (6'2" 225) at QB on short-yardage.

Juwan Thompson (5'11" 230) started at TB, but he didn't play much. They liked to line him up beside him and a step behind out of the shotgun on a good bit of the plays. They mesh on most of the plays and run some play-action off of it. He has some power on inside runs.

#3 WR Jamison Crowder (5'9" 175) looks like maybe their biggest threat. They move him around a lot - very quick and has good hands. Ran a quick screen off of a mesh fake for him that looked like an Oregon play. Took a punt return back for a TD too. Definitely very quick and shifty. Looks like a Darren Sproles style of running.

I can't tell much about the OL as I just don't have enough experience to really extract anything from them. Boone didn't look to be rushed much though so I imagine they had a pretty good day. Obvously we'll cause more problems than NCCU will though.

Kicking game has some problems. Missed a short FG and saw a KO out-of-bounds both in the 1st quarter. 37.3 punting average is pretty bad too.

I wasn't watching much of their defensive series b/c how much can you really tell about how they will line up against us? Plus I was more interested in Cutcliffe's changes to the offense. I think we'll put up points on them regardless on the order of 35-50. And although their offense looks to be experienced and have some weapons, it doesn't look scary enough to put up more than 30.

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if the got up into the 20-30 range though. Maybe something like 42-24 with it not being really put away until late.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Their Spring Game was also on ESPN3, and their option is much more a single wing, zone read stuff. I don't think I ever saw them line up in the flexbone.