Duke @ GT Tues Mar 2nd @ 8PM ACCN

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think you go man and put Wright on Hurt. That guy is their best player and I think MW shuts him down. I believe that is the key to the game. Make someone else beat you.

I’m actually a GT fan because of my grandfather. He was a Duke grad and I fell in love with ACC basketball at a young age. All that said. FCKU DUKE!!

GT_EE78

Banned
I think you go man and put Wright on Hurt. That guy is their best player and I think MW shuts him down. I believe that is the key to the game. Make someone else beat you.

I’m actually a GT fan because of my grandfather. He was a Duke grad and I fell in love with ACC basketball at a young age. All that said. FCKU DUKE!!
Moses gonna lead us to the promised land.
I think i said same about 4 years ago.now,chances lookin good

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s too bad for our seniors as hard as they are playing not to experience the roar of that crowd. Some of the dunks yesterday would have the rafters shaking.
Well that’s true in some sense, I think the students that show up to games now are doing a great job in showing the love. As a student who’s been here 4 years, I have never seen the student base cheer as loud and excitedly as they have this year. And trust me, we’ve been doing our best to keep the rafters shaking this year as well!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Depends on what lineup Duke goes. If they go Mark Williams you have to put Wright on him imo and trust Moore and Ush to deal with Hurt. Not just for defense, but for rebounding.

Otherwise, I think them not having Johnson hurt them against UL and will hurt them against us. Wendell Moore has the talent where he could make a big impact, but I'm certainly glad that Johnson won't be an option for them.

Deleted member 2897

Well that’s true in some sense, I think the students that show up to games now are doing a great job in showing the love. As a student who’s been here 4 years, I have never seen the student base cheer as loud and excitedly as they have this year. And trust me, we’ve been doing our best to keep the rafters shaking this year as well!

I live out of state and so can usually only make 1 game a year. I can tell you I’ve never been more proud of our students. They’d be there with the student section full 30 minutes early, giving hell to the opposing team while warming up. Yelling chants, etc. We have great student fans!

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We control our own destiny. Let's win out and take the guess work out of it. If we win out there is no way we can be left out. Even though Duke has a roster stacked with 5-stars I think we are the better team. The team thinks so as well ( just ask Moses). Let's play up to our capabilities and get the W.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Depends on what lineup Duke goes. If they go Mark Williams you have to put Wright on him imo and trust Moore and Ush to deal with Hurt. Not just for defense, but for rebounding.

Otherwise, I think them not having Johnson hurt them against UL and will hurt them against us. Wendell Moore has the talent where he could make a big impact, but I'm certainly glad that Johnson won't be an option for them.
Conceptually I agree with you but I did notice that for a period of time (didn't track it and didn't pay enough attention to it), we put Moses on Guerrier to keep him from going off and had Usher on the big guy who took over for Dolezaj - Edwards I think. Saw it several times down court in a row but didn't track it to see if it was just a phase or the base plan. I have to figure the concept was Edwards wasn't going to beat us and SYR didn't/doesn't make him a part of the offense so we thought we could get by with it. I don't think Williams is much of a scorer for Duke but I would worry that Duke would make a point to get him the ball in a mismatch where SYR really didn't.

End of the day it really comes down to what you want to take away from Hurt - his post moves/step backs or his 3 point shots. Moses is a better option for the post moves, Usher can do quite well if he goes no help and stays with him on the 3 point line. But he won't be able to bother him as much in the block.

Whichever way we go (and I do think it is likely Usher), that will be a fun matchup to watch along with Goldwire checking Jose. That one will be a classic and I wouldn't be surprised to see Devoe take some of the lead guard role during the game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Rat faced rat is going to be whining up a storm starting today probably. We’ll probably get Tv Teddy as well. Between those 2 things we got about a 25% chance of winning. The ACC protects its own and I doubt they’re going to let Dook take the pipe.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Rat faced rat is going to be whining up a storm starting today probably. We’ll probably get Tv Teddy as well. Between those 2 things we got about a 25% chance of winning. The ACC protects its own and I doubt they’re going to let Dook take the pipe.
I do not think the ACC will do anything overt to help Duke, but assigning Valentine to the game might be just as good. The thing to remember is that a tightly called, but fairly called, game is a huge win for Duke.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m as high as anyone else is on the team and the way we are playing. That said, Duke is Damn Tough and CK has a habit of dissecting what needs to be done to win games.

I worry that if we go to man and assign Moses the game long plan of guarding hurt we’ll see some quick cheap fouls on him. Which is terrible for us.

I think I would focus on protecting him from getting soft fouls and try to make sure you have help coming from Moore or Usher when he gets down low. Stay in our zone and just tell Moses to play within himself.

We’ll see though what CJP dials up, I have confidence in his plan.

🏀🐝🔥

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Conceptually I agree with you but I did notice that for a period of time (didn't track it and didn't pay enough attention to it), we put Moses on Guerrier to keep him from going off and had Usher on the big guy who took over for Dolezaj - Edwards I think. Saw it several times down court in a row but didn't track it to see if it was just a phase or the base plan. I have to figure the concept was Edwards wasn't going to beat us and SYR didn't/doesn't make him a part of the offense so we thought we could get by with it. I don't think Williams is much of a scorer for Duke but I would worry that Duke would make a point to get him the ball in a mismatch where SYR really didn't.

Difference is Williams has about 30 pounds, at least, on Edwards and was significantly higher rated coming out of highschool. He hasn't played as much but his potential is higher and I think he's way more dangerous especially as a rebounder.

Personally, I would just rotate Usha nd Moore on Hurt and not allow him to try and attack Moses and get him in foul trouble. We can always switch things up situationally but as abase I would go with that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Difference is Williams has about 30 pounds, at least, on Edwards and was significantly higher rated coming out of highschool. He hasn't played as much but his potential is higher and I think he's way more dangerous especially as a rebounder.

Personally, I would just rotate Usha nd Moore on Hurt and not allow him to try and attack Moses and get him in foul trouble. We can always switch things up situationally but as abase I would go with that.
Agreed. Height is really the only comparison between Williams and Edwards. After that it’s night and day.
  • Williams can catch a ball that hits him in the hands. That alone reduces our number of 2nd chance possessions by about 6, all other things being equal.
  • Williams is also able to convert offensive rebounds into points.
  • And his feet are better.
About the only similar comparison is Duke won’t run much of anything thru Williams, from what I’ve seen.

For that reason I’d definitely keep Moses on him for the reason you described: avoid foul trouble against a big guy who is mainly there on offense for clean-up.

One thing that’ll burn us is if Moses tries to help off and go for the block, but misses and leaves Williams for the easy clean-up. Good news/bad news is Moses mentioned better decision-making in that scenario as an opportunity for him in a recent postgame presser.