Duke @ GT 1.28 GameThread

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it has been his lack of ACC level players. The team this year just doesn't shoot the ball well at all. Duke put on a defensive clinic today. Our coaching has been woefully bad this year. There doesn't appear to be a go to guy when we need a basket. April February 18th can't get here fast enough.

FIFY

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The Duke pg kept sticking his fingers up in the air as he brought the ball down the court. Sometimes different numbers sometimes the same. Anyone know what that is supposed to signify?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
At least im smart enough to know duke -7.5 was a lock. Actually my best bet of the year is betting on tech every game. To lose. Its been profitable

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
When your starters shoot 9-38, you ain't gonna win many games. Or when your one double digit scorer has 10. Or get out rebounded 43-22. 17 FGM and 11 TOs. This may have been the most inept performance I've ever seen on a basketball court.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue what you guys were watching. I saw a well-executed game plan. I am positive we went into the game wanting to do three things.

1) Don't make shots...we haven't all year long, so why start now, I mean, making shots would improve our shooting percentage for this season. That is no good, and we have a reputation to uphold. We are consistent, shoot a two, probably miss, shoot a 3, probably miss, shoot a Free-throw...you are guaranteed to miss a greater rate than any other team in the ACC. It's called excellence. At tech, we can do that.

2) Turn the ball over...I mean who in Hades wants to hold on to that dirty, germ-infested ball? If covid has taught us anything, it's you don't want to touch dirty objects. That is how diseases spread and I saw some very hygienic people out there tonight. Frankly, they have been hygienic the whole year. Kudos to the staff and organization for keeping the players safe!

3) Defense, don't bother with it...we are sitting at a cool 212 team defensive efficiency. That number is sure to go up. The game is about the sizzle, and we need some more of it. Who cares if we lose by 40, I saw a good dunk out there, and I think I saw a cool-looking compression arm sleeve. or at least I think I did through the bag I was wearing. I gotta work on my eye holes, I didn't cut them right tonight. And yes, I wore the bag in my own house.

So perk up Tech Nation, it could be worse, we could be Louisville this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The Duke pg kept sticking his fingers up in the air as he brought the ball down the court. Sometimes different numbers sometimes the same. Anyone know what that is supposed to signify?
How often was it the middle finger?

When it wasn't the middle finger, it represented how many offensive rebounds they were to get on that possession.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
2:1 scoring ratio... Thankfully duke hold back the last 14 seconds so that we'd only be doubled up.

That was beyond the realm of ugly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
When I played HS it was to call an offensive set which was usually designed for a certain player to get the ball in a designed location or option if that player was covered. It was usually based off what defense was being set up.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I think it has been his lack of ACC level players. The team this year just doesn't shoot the ball well at all. Duke put on a defensive clinic today. Our coaching has been woefully bad this year. There doesn't appear to be a go to guy when we need a basket. April can't get here fast enough.
Did you not watch the game where Pastner continued to try to drive in the paint, even after Duke part all of their bigs in at the same time? Even after 1/2 time he still ran the same stuff nothing different. We stick our guys in the corner & they get not a shot. Duke corner knocking down open 3 after open 3, because they are willing passers. Obviously Pastner is not doing any of our players any justice & he didn't do Khalid any last season either based on his production this season at Fordham. We weren't bad last season, but Pastner made us bad & I'll go continue to go on record & say we aren't as bad as our record is portraying. We lack any ATO plays, I haven't seen any sets. Duke toyed with us by running our horrible version of Princeton offensive and getting a dunk & an open 3 on back-back possessions as a message of this is how you're supposed to run it.

Pastner makes record to say that GT is a hard school to balance athletics & academics. So my take is those players are intelligent so them being able to grasp a new offense in the middle of season to have a chance to save his azz, shouldn't be that hard for them. I think it is him that doesn't have anything to go with. A good coach orchestrates his system based on his players and as stated numerous times before his system isn't lining up with his talent now. Pastner knew 2 years ago that Rodney was not it for Princeton offense, but he still keep trying so I'm guessing he is stubborn as hell or thinks eventually he can round off the corners of the square peg to fit into the ⭕️.

Our 3 sophomores may be in a situation to decide if they want to come back near with the possibility of Pastner being fired and playing for a new coach their senior year or entering the portal after this season and playing under a new coach their last 2 years. Also, outside of a grad transfer or someone with a year of eligibility remaining who would come here knowing there is a strong possibility that Pastner could be fired. If there is a mass exit of players then the new players will have to figure out this "complicated" defense he boasts on. So next season could be potentially bad also. Wake Forest. He has a reluctance to make better with what we're doing offensively & to alter his coaching strategies

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
My 2 cents on this team and this season:
-we are extremely un-athletic and slow outside of smith, especially deebo and sturdy. Watching them try to break someone down 1v1 is painful. Kyle at least get can hit turnaround fade shot occasionally when he realizes he can’t get past anyone.
-us being extremely slow reflects on both the offensive and defensive ends. We can’t beat anyone off the dribble on offense and defense we constantly get blown by opposing players for easy buckets.
-we have zero coaches who know offensive sets or ideas. We run Princeton over and over the funny thing is half of the time when someone cuts and they are actually open for once they aren’t looking for the pass or when they actually look Rodney doesn’t pass it to them and just holds it. It’s really comical to watch. We don’t have the players to run the scheme yet we just keep doing it.
-we lose focus and effort during big stretches of every game. Sloppy passes, people standing around, no energy, etc, etc.
-for Pastner to pride his teams on defense, this team’s defensive effort is atrocious. Our zone is terrible this year and we’re too undersized to rebound. Alvarado must be ashamed of this team, especially defensively.
-we lost whatever shooting confidence this team may have had going into the season is toast. No one can make shots and no one thinks they can either.
-Maxwell is so funny to me, I have no idea how this kid has a div 1 scholarship. I don’t normally single out guys like this, but he looks like a guy at your local Rec gym throwing up 50 shots in a pick up game, missing 49 and then finally makes 1 and talks the next 20 mins. He looks so awkward with the ball and can’t really guard anyone, and I believe he was one of the leading scorers in the state of NC coming out of HS. which is unbelievable to me. Maybe all the time he missed really messed up his game because I don’t understand how that’s possible.
-Pastner knows he’s in hot water, you can tell by every presser now. He looks panicked and he should be as this should be his last season, but do we have $$ to fire/hire 2 coaches in the same year ??

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When I played HS it was to call an offensive set which was usually designed for a certain player to get the ball in a designed location or option if that player was covered. It was usually based off what defense was being set up.
Believe original comment was sarcasm - as in Duke actually runs plays as opposed to our guys running around in circles until they turn the ball over.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My 2 cents on this team and this season:
-we are extremely un-athletic and slow outside of smith, especially deebo and sturdy. Watching them try to break someone down 1v1 is painful. Kyle at least get can hit turnaround fade shot occasionally when he realizes he can’t get past anyone.
-us being extremely slow reflects on both the offensive and defensive ends. We can’t beat anyone off the dribble on offense and defense we constantly get blown by opposing players for easy buckets.
-we have zero coaches who know offensive sets or ideas. We run Princeton over and over the funny thing is half of the time when someone cuts and they are actually open for once they aren’t looking for the pass or when they actually look Rodney doesn’t pass it to them and just holds it. It’s really comical to watch. We don’t have the players to run the scheme yet we just keep doing it.
-we lose focus and effort during big stretches of every game. Sloppy passes, people standing around, no energy, etc, etc.
-for Pastner to pride his teams on defense, this team’s defensive effort is atrocious. Our zone is terrible this year and we’re too undersized to rebound. Alvarado must be ashamed of this team, especially defensively.
-we lost whatever shooting confidence this team may have had going into the season is toast. No one can make shots and no one thinks they can either.
-Maxwell is so funny to me, I have no idea how this kid has a div 1 scholarship. I don’t normally single out guys like this, but he looks like a guy at your local Rec gym throwing up 50 shots in a pick up game, missing 49 and then finally makes 1 and talks the next 20 mins. He looks so awkward with the ball and can’t really guard anyone, and I believe he was one of the leading scorers in the state of NC coming out of HS. which is unbelievable to me. Maybe all the time he missed really messed up his game because I don’t understand how that’s possible.
-Pastner knows he’s in hot water, you can tell by every presser now. He looks panicked and he should be as this should be his last season, but do we have $$ to fire/hire 2 coaches in the same year ??
Maxwell was Mr. Basketball for the state of NC and is the son of former NBA player Vernon Maxwell. He looks like he has not been coached one day since he has been on campus.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you not watch the game where Pastner continued to try to drive in the paint, even after Duke part all of their bigs in at the same time? Even after 1/2 time he still ran the same stuff nothing different. We stick our guys in the corner & they get not a shot. Duke corner knocking down open 3 after open 3, because they are willing passers. Obviously Pastner is not doing any of our players any justice & he didn't do Khalid any last season either based on his production this season at Fordham. We weren't bad last season, but Pastner made us bad & I'll go continue to go on record & say we aren't as bad as our record is portraying. We lack any ATO plays, I haven't seen any sets. Duke toyed with us by running our horrible version of Princeton offensive and getting a dunk & an open 3 on back-back possessions as a message of this is how you're supposed to run it.

Pastner makes record to say that GT is a hard school to balance athletics & academics. So my take is those players are intelligent so them being able to grasp a new offense in the middle of season to have a chance to save his azz, shouldn't be that hard for them. I think it is him that doesn't have anything to go with. A good coach orchestrates his system based on his players and as stated numerous times before his system isn't lining up with his talent now. Pastner knew 2 years ago that Rodney was not it for Princeton offense, but he still keep trying so I'm guessing he is stubborn as hell or thinks eventually he can round off the corners of the square peg to fit into the ⭕️.

Our 3 sophomores may be in a situation to decide if they want to come back near with the possibility of Pastner being fired and playing for a new coach their senior year or entering the portal after this season and playing under a new coach their last 2 years. Also, outside of a grad transfer or someone with a year of eligibility remaining who would come here knowing there is a strong possibility that Pastner could be fired. If there is a mass exit of players then the new players will have to figure out this "complicated" defense he boasts on. So next season could be potentially bad also. Wake Forest. He has a reluctance to make better with what we're doing offensively & to alter his coaching strategies
daddee.. best post on this subject! Totally agree with everything you said. This post should be marked as MUST READ!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maxwell was Mr. Basketball for the state of NC and is the son of former NBA player Vernon Maxwell. He looks like he has not been coached one day since he has been on campus.
Well, not to defend the coaching staff because it doesn't look like they've been effective, at all, but Maxwell has been so injured his entire career at Tech that I don't know he's had much instruction at all.