• GT Covers

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • Duke Covers

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
That’s right - where my 2-10ers at???

Duke, UNC, and Virginia should all be toss ups. We play clean good football and we can go 3-0 in those games. But we can also go 0-3 if we play poorly.

We win Saturday, and 7-5 should be our floor amazingly.

We should handle UNC and UVa. They are Louisville level right now.
But ... we've said that before, too.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Duke, UNC, and Virginia should all be toss ups. We play clean good football and we can go 3-0 in those games. But we can also go 0-3 if we play poorly.

I'm one of those 2-10ers. And I am MOST pleased to be eating crow this week. :)

Unfortunately, I am not yet a "believer". This game scares me. Maybe because I feel like Duke has been far tougher for us in recent years than just about anyone we have played outside the power teams on our schedule. Or maybe I am just afraid of getting my hopes up after being sorely disappointed by the USF and Pitt games (especially Pitt).

Since I think I have been wrong on every pick thus far (I don't believe I made picks for Alcorn or BGSU), I am going to pick Duke to win 31-22.

Let's see if we can improve on 3-9.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm one of those 2-10ers. And I am MOST pleased to be eating crow this week. :)

Unfortunately, I am not yet a "believer". This game scares me. Maybe because I feel like Duke has been far tougher for us in recent years than just about anyone we have played outside the power teams on our schedule. Or maybe I am just afraid of getting my hopes up after being sorely disappointed by the USF and Pitt games (especially Pitt).

Since I think I have been wrong on every pick thus far (I don't believe I made picks for Alcorn or BGSU), I am going to pick Duke to win 31-22.

Let's see if we can improve on 3-9.
I think you picked BGSU:LOL:

slugboy

Staff member
Duke's QB wont run much since he just got a metal plate put in his shoulder

Jones started the VT game, 3 weeks after his collarbone surgery. He got sacked a couple of times, but he peeled off a 10 yard run.
He ran against a hard hitting VT defense. He was mobile and scrambling in that game. He’s had another week to heal up. He’ll run against us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Jones started the VT game, 3 weeks after his collarbone surgery. He got sacked a couple of times, but he peeled off a 10 yard run.
He ran against a hard hitting VT defense. He was mobile and scrambling in that game. He’s had another week to heal up. He’ll run against us.

I hope Vic Alexander introduces himself.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Our D will have trouble getting off the field against the Dookie offense, but if we win the turnover battle, we have a shot at the win. Not sure all this speculation matters, though. Weather service shows the remnants of a hurricane/tropical storm rolling through northern Ga late in the week.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Our D will have trouble getting off the field against the Dookie offense, but if we win the turnover battle, we have a shot at the win. Not sure all this speculation matters, though. Weather service shows the remnants of a hurricane/tropical storm rolling through northern Ga late in the week.
Thursday will be rough hopefully it will clear out by Saturday

Augusta weather forecast tonight said the remnants will pass through by Thursday and the weekend should be sunny with low of 57 and high of 82. Probably cooler in the Atlanta area. Perfect football weather.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't hate Duke, I just find them annoying. I date back to an era when you could count on Duke being bad most years, and despite plenty of evidence, I still can't quite get used to the idea that Duke has played pretty good football for a long time now.

I just want to win and keep improving because we have so little margin for error, having lost three already.

LibertyTurns

Banned
They look good. Their defense plays smart. They tackle. Their quarterback will pull it down and run it. Lots of midrange passing.
Not much in the running game, but that might just be VT with good defense.

[YouTube] LOabBKv_X9U[/YouTube]
Season to date, Northwestern and Baylor look about even with us, and Duke handled them both in double digit wins.
Two questions for the upcoming game: 1. Is Duke getting worse, like you might guess from the VT game, and 2. Is GT getting better like you might guess from the Louisville game?
We need the answers to both to be “yes”.

FSU barely beat Looeyvul and almost beat daU. Does that mean we absolutely crush daU or in the space of a week FSU suddenly went from being ranked about 100 to being a Top 25 team?

The answer to nearly every question like this in college football is no.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I thought 2-10 was in play. So thankful it's not. If we lose Saturday, which is a coin flip, 3-9 is still a possibility. I love your optimism. I'm not there yet as we have not beat an average football team yet.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Don't you mean 6-6 floor if we beat Duke? VT, Miami and UGAG are a lot harder games.

We have to beat Duke to have a reasonable shot at a bowl.

Deleted member 2897

Don't you mean 6-6 floor if we beat Duke? VT, Miami and UGAG are a lot harder games.

We have to beat Duke to have a reasonable shot at a bowl.

Oops. Yes 6-6. If we lose to Duke, any outcome is possible. If we beat Duke, 6-6 should be the floor and I would hope we could beat eithe Miami or VT. Both of them are not playing well.

slugboy

Staff member
FSU barely beat Looeyvul and almost beat daU. Does that mean we absolutely crush daU or in the space of a week FSU suddenly went from being ranked about 100 to being a Top 25 team?

The answer to nearly every question like this in college football is no.

Duke is 4-1 because they’ve played better than us all season.

If you watch them play, you’ll have a better feel for the upcoming game. The video I embedded isn’t all that long. Looking at both team’s body of work so far, it makes a lot more sense to favor Duke this weekend.

Tech can win this game, but they’ll have to play their best game of the season. Especially on defense.

Your comment about Miami, Louisville, and FSU doesn’t say anything meaningful about the upcoming game for us. Miami snoozed early and came back to win against a lesser team that was jacked up to play them. Miami has played some crummy, undisciplined football this year. That doesn’t have anything to do with Duke, who has been disciplined this year, and will be looking forward to knocking us off again.

I saw a lot of people say we’d stomp USF, and I said USF should be a slight favorite over us. I see people being unrealistic about how good Duke is now.

I’ve seen us improve our offense and somewhat our special teams since USF, but we’re still vulnerable on defense, especially on the passing plays that Duke already likes. If we don’t play better defense, we’ll lose.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Duke is like Tech: they've looked good against mediocre opponents. I watched their game against VT and they were beaten like small, naughty children. This is our first game since USF where we are up against a fairly equal opponent. I'm hoping that we continue the present run of "crush 'em at the LOS" football. If so, that and a couple of turnovers will do the job.

Oth, despite being beaten badly at Blacksberg, they aren't a bad football team. Hope we're ready.