Duke game thoughts

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke was one of my earliest GT memories. Circa 1960, I remember the Blue Devil mascot found a way to climb onto the crossbar pregame. He cavorted up there and entertained the fans. I could tell by the way the grownups acted that Duke was a pushover and we could count on a win. I didn't yet understand the up an down cycles and that Duke had not always been bad. I also had Clemson in their category in those days.

Now Duke is frequently a bowl team, sometimes beats ranked opponents and scares a lot of ranked opponents. Beaten us the last two years. It is a scary game, and one we really need to scratch and claw our way to a winning record and a bowl game.

Boomer's approach (or at least the way I interpret his approach), is that each game should be taken separately. Never count on either a win or a loss. If we win, be pleased no matter the opponent. If we lose a tight, dramatic game, be happy for the drama and entertainment. I realize the truth and wisdom here, but I sometimes miss the days when we could just assume a win against Duke.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
This game is the most important one all year, we lose this game its another year of missing a bowl game. I don't want to do that 2 years in a row and I am afraid that its going to happen. Duke has looked better as the year has gone on.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Duke is an example of what the school deciding to have a winning team can do. I wish the rocket scientists on the Hill would make a similar commitment to our program.
As for this coming game, I have nightmares of tunnel screens dancing in my head.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Duke is an example of what the school deciding to have a winning team can do. I wish the rocket scientists on the Hill would make a similar commitment to our program.
As for this coming game, I have nightmares of tunnel screens dancing in my head.

Fwiw, we'd be better off with more rocket scientists on the hill. But I'm biased.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remember Puke when it was a real power. Shoot, I saw Mike Curtis play against Tech. (That Mike Curtis? The NFL HoF player for the Colts? Yes.) I never take them less then seriously. By the same token, I always want Tech to beat them as badly as we can. Old grudges die hard, you know.

And, yes, it would be nice if the new AD can get the Hill to cooperate more. Problem = even with more commitment, we still will have the curriculum problem until (let it happen, Lord) we get some leeway on that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke was one of my earliest GT memories. Circa 1960, I remember the Blue Devil mascot found a way to climb onto the crossbar pregame. He cavorted up there and entertained the fans. I could tell by the way the grownups acted that Duke was a pushover and we could count on a win. I didn't yet understand the up an down cycles and that Duke had not always been bad. I also had Clemson in their category in those days.

Now Duke is frequently a bowl team, sometimes beats ranked opponents and scares a lot of ranked opponents. Beaten us the last two years. It is a scary game, and one we really need to scratch and claw our way to a winning record and a bowl game.

Boomer's approach (or at least the way I interpret his approach), is that each game should be taken separately. Never count on either a win or a loss. If we win, be pleased no matter the opponent. If we lose a tight, dramatic game, be happy for the drama and entertainment. I realize the truth and wisdom here, but I sometimes miss the days when we could just assume a win against Duke.
Thanks. Pretty close. Never assume a win against anybody. Yes, take every game separately. It's funny, as a player, I never felt any game I played in was easy, ever. They are trying to win too, and, they believe they can win. Ultimately, competition is a gift from the almighty. Enjoy it. I have never been happy after a loss, whether a player, a coach, or a fan. However, as a player, if I left it all on the field, I got over the losses rather quickly. As a coach, losses have always been way worse. As a fan, well, it's kind of a combination. The farther you are from the action, the less control you have, and therefore, the angst can sometimes increase.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

What are the Fluke injuries referred to in a later post? 2 weeks off for both teams should help a lot for injuries.

One thing about Fluke; they have very few fans who show up at games; most of their fans are probably on this one board (tic). That has to be the quietest stadium to play in ..... they put you to sleep. Fortunately we play at GT. Probably not many fans by our standards but still 2 to 3 times the flukies.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think if we lose against Duke, we'll miss another bowl this year. I just don't see us beating UNC, VT or UGA. UGA may be abd on defense, however; the struggle against attacking defenses. See, Vandy.... We don't attack, which means they will control too much clock. I really think the GT/UGA game will be between two 5 win teams. The winner goes to a bowl, the loser stay home. In which, I would love for us to win that one. It would sting the puppies like nobodies business. :)