Duke basketball and the ACC

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if the situation at Duke is very different from the transition from Dean Smith at UNC. The recruiting carryover was there, but the on court play only matched their potential occasionally. Perhaps Jon Scheyer is not going to be the 2nd coming of K. Their entire starting lineup might turn pro and yet they cannot survive the opening weekend of a tournament they ought to be able to win. UNC failed to get invited and UVA failed again on opening day. And Clemson lost their opening game in the Not Invited Tournament (NIT). This is a sad moment for the ACC.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the situation at Duke is very different from the transition from Dean Smith at UNC. The recruiting carryover was there, but the on court play only matched their potential occasionally. Perhaps Jon Scheyer is not going to be the 2nd coming of K. Their entire starting lineup might turn pro and yet they cannot survive the opening weekend of a tournament they ought to be able to win. UNC failed to get invited and UVA failed again on opening day. And Clemson lost their opening game in the Not Invited Tournament (NIT). This is a sad moment for the ACC.
What an act to follow. Ratface was about the best coach, ever.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This guy being out hurt Duke a lot:

"Mitchell, who averaged 9.1 points and 4.5 rebounds in his freshman season, is built to match the physicality and grind-it-out style that Tennessee effectively deployed against Duke."

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding Duke, I don't know what the future holds. But as I sat watching parts of the Duke - Tenn game on Saturday with my father-in-law who is a huge Vols fan from Tennessee, I couldn't help but notice one thing that made me smile. Scheyer clearly does not have "the blessing" from the NCAA offices that Coach K enjoyed. I saw Duke get called for more hand-checks, moving picks, ticky-tack fouls in that one game than I've seen in years.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding Duke, I don't know what the future holds. But as I sat watching parts of the Duke - Tenn game on Saturday with my father-in-law who is a huge Vols fan from Tennessee, I couldn't help but notice one thing that made me smile. Scheyer clearly does not have "the blessing" from the NCAA offices that Coach K enjoyed. I saw Duke get called for more hand-checks, moving picks, ticky-tack fouls in that one game than I've seen in years.
Great game plan by UT. They used their physical superiority to win. Starting with the 2 intentional (?) fouls on the Duke FR. The strength of UT won over the skills of Duke.