Duke - ACC Weekend #5

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Weather is not great in Durham this weekend. Lots of rain in the forecast all three days. Might get a game or two in. Getting thunderstorms.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@g0lftime Have you looked into whether spectators are allowed at DBAP? I thought about driving down there for Sunday's game; but it appears (looking at Duke's athletics website) they are not allowing ANY fans into their spring sports. I wasn't sure if what I was reading was dated and/or IF DBAP maybe had a different set of rules since it is not Duke property.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nuke, Love all the research and data! Keep it comin, brother! Love it!

Now that I have a simple way to take snapshots, I'm probably going overboard. But it's what I looked at before just to better appreciate the games.

We'll be doing good to win the series. Looking at the weather, maybe they will opt for a double header tomorrow with the second game at 7PM.
1616775631841.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Duke has a 10 rpi and we have a 40 rpi since they have played and largely beaten highly ranked rpi teams. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/schedule/Duke So us winning the series at Duke would help our rpi and maintain our current rankings. Lose and we move backward. Sweep and we move ahead a bit.

Starts with winning today. We haven't won a Friday game in a month (since NC State).

View attachment 10224
Warren Nolan also has an "Indirect Impact Games" piece to his stuff. According to that.. here is what Ga Tech cares about today and the outcomes' impact on our RPI:

NCST win +37.8 RPI
NCST loss -21.0

WF win +33.6
WF loss -25.2

Pitt win +14.4
Pitt loss -34.6

EKU win +25.2
EKU loss -16.8

Louisville win +10.5
Louisville loss -31.5

Mercer win +6.3
Mercer loss -7.7

Ga State win +9.9
Ga State loss -2.9

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Warren Nolan also has an "Indirect Impact Games" piece to his stuff. According to that.. here is what Ga Tech cares about today and the outcomes' impact on our RPI:

NCST win +37.8 RPI
NCST loss -21.0

WF win +33.6
WF loss -25.2

Pitt win +14.4
Pitt loss -34.6

EKU win +25.2
EKU loss -16.8

Louisville win +10.5
Louisville loss -31.5

Mercer win +6.3
Mercer loss -7.7

Ga State win +9.9
Ga State loss -2.9

So we want everyone to win that we've played, is that fair assessment?

Deleted member 2897

Well its hard to say 'thunderstorms' and '0.02 inches of precipitation' in the same sentence. Hopefully they can just plan a double header so people know to be there all day and then they'll adjust the schedules according to the radar map.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So we want everyone to win that we've played, is that fair assessment?
Yes for our current rpi, we want everyone to win who we have played.

But for the final rpi, we also want everyone who we are going to play to win. Since we are playing all ACC teams except BC this year, games where they both play will be a wash at the end of the season. So we want BC to face plant.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

But for the final rpi, we also want everyone who we are going to play to win. Since we are playing all ACC teams except BC this year, games where they both play will be a wash at the end of the season. So we want BC to face plant.
Yes. RPI only matters at end of season & we could look back at this week & wish for different outcomes than those we're rooting for real time... but an entertaining exercise nonetheless.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Some argument for wanting to maximize Quad 1 teams on your schedule as that’s a big data point when seeding. So you’d rather better RPI ACC teams to keep winning. But that also goes against wanting to win the division/conference.

I’m probably cheering for outcomes that increase our likelihood of winning the ACC more than anything else right now.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Well its hard to say 'thunderstorms' and '0.02 inches of precipitation' in the same sentence. Hopefully they can just plan a double header so people know to be there all day and then they'll adjust the schedules according to the radar map.
Don't care if people are there at Duke. Just want to play and beat them. Prefer no double headers and no delays that take our starting pitchers out prematurely.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
@g0lftime Have you looked into whether spectators are allowed at DBAP? I thought about driving down there for Sunday's game; but it appears (looking at Duke's athletics website) they are not allowing ANY fans into their spring sports. I wasn't sure if what I was reading was dated and/or IF DBAP maybe had a different set of rules since it is not Duke property.
I will check. I haven't seen anyone in the stands earlier this year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I checked the Duke website. They state only about Duke baseball stadium and only team staff and media are allowed at the games. I have Durham Bulls season tickets and so far the season hasn't started and will be limited to 3000 max at their games. We are hoping to have games starting in May. I doubt that general admission tickets are available for the Duke game. Things are starting to loosen up in NC but lots of sports are still very limited in attendance. The games on Sat and Sunday are supposed to be televised. I think Sunday is 1 o'clock on ACCN extra. Their is good chance of storms on Sunday. I am supposed to play golf and don't know if I will be able to play. Was supposed to have storms today but cleared and was blue skies in the RTP area. Storms went south. Would be risky to come without knowing for sure. My guess is no general fans to the games yet.