Duke - ACC Weekend #5

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yet another trip to NC (Jackets are 5-1 in the state). Yet another quality conference opponent. This year... every opponent in the ACC is legit and winning series won't be easy. Gotta bring your A-game to succeed.

Duke is 9-8 overall and 4-5 in the ACC. They had an entire series (NCST) postponed. Their 4-5 record includes 2 wins over Pitt and 1 win each over BC and ND. A series win for Ga Tech would be a successful trip. I'm hopeful we see 3 very solid, mistake-free (relatively) games.

Go Jackets!!

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet another trip to NC (Jackets are 5-1 in the state). Yet another quality conference opponent. This year... every opponent in the ACC is legit and winning series won't be easy. Gotta bring your A-game to succeed.

Duke is 9-8 overall and 4-5 in the ACC. They had an entire series (NCST) postponed. Their 4-5 record includes 2 wins over Pitt and 1 win each over BC and ND. A series win for Ga Tech would be a successful trip. I'm hopeful we see 3 very solid, mistake-free (relatively) games.

Go Jackets!!
As always, our three starters will set the tone for each game. Better D was encouraging last weekend. Confidence in our bats... Wonder when Grissom might be healthy enough for a relief appearance...maybe this weekend?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Grissom has been out since the first series. Has growth plate issues in his back but he is back throwing and working on building up.
That's good to hear. We're going to need him as the season goes on.

We also need Roedig to get back to pitching effectively. I know it takes some time to recover from any surgery, but we are going to need him to get back in shape fast.

GTBaseballBoy16

Georgia Tech Fan
That's good to hear. We're going to need him as the season goes on.

We also need Roedig to get back to pitching effectively. I know it takes some time to recover from any surgery, but we are going to need him to get back in shape fast
I believe he’ll be in shape very soon. There was a small scrimmage this week and he was throwing very well. 2 innings with 3ks and no walks. 92-94 and off speed looking good as well.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

“The Blue Devils are being led by RJ Schreck, who has a team-best .429 batting average, five home runs, and 19 RBI while Peter Mattand Michael Rothenberg both have 11 RBI.

Cooper Stinson is the ace of Duke with a 2-0 record and 3.74 ERA while Henry Williams is 2-1 with a 4.22 ERA.”

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OTTOMH (Off The Top Of My Head)
  • Growth plate injuries - not catastrophic https://floridabaseballranch.com/blog/what-is-a-growth-plate-injury/
  • Finley out with TJ. Likely spend next year getting back in form. But is 2022 draft eligible. Good reason for lots of pitchers. He will go high in the draft next year if interested IMHO but still have a couple years to stay and develop. So hope he stays for 2023 but depends on $.
  • Any word on Hall? Likely see with tomorrow's lineup. Grenk stepped in last weekend just fine.
  • 1st base is an open spot. Compton great BA but I like Jenkins defense. Maybe give Compton 2 ABs and then pull him for Jenkins if we have a lead?
  • Really miss mid-week games. Long time from Sunday to Friday. But tomorrow I'll ***** about how long and late the game is. Curmudgeon's disease. Certified.
  • Defense is key to winning the Duke series. With good defense we can compete with anyone, with bad defense we lose to Ga State. Bad defense makes the pitching look a lot worse and I think is the key to our consistency and competitiveness.
  • Pitching this weekend:
1616712437006.png

Stinson's best game of the year was against Pitt. He pitches like that it's a close game (with good defense on our part). If he pitches like the other three, :) Go figure.
1616712600962.png

Williams looks like their most consistent pitcher.
1616712736504.png

Carey's latest outing was a 6 inning shutout against ND. Before that, ehhhh. Go figure.
1616712849832.png

• What I noticed is these guys don't get a lot of SO or BB. So a lot of balls put in play must be put out. To date, Duke has given up 84 runs with 73 earned. Better than our runs/ER %.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
OTTOMH (Off The Top Of My Head)
  • Growth plate injuries - not catastrophic https://floridabaseballranch.com/blog/what-is-a-growth-plate-injury/
  • Finley out with TJ. Likely spend next year getting back in form. But is 2022 draft eligible. Good reason for lots of pitchers. He will go high in the draft next year if interested IMHO but still have a couple years to stay and develop. So hope he stays for 2023 but depends on $.
  • Any word on Hall? Likely see with tomorrow's lineup. Grenk stepped in last weekend just fine.
  • 1st base is an open spot. Compton great BA but I like Jenkins defense. Maybe give Compton 2 ABs and then pull him for Jenkins if we have a lead?
  • Really miss mid-week games. Long time from Sunday to Friday. But tomorrow I'll ***** about how long and late the game is. Curmudgeon's disease. Certified.
  • Defense is key to winning the Duke series. With good defense we can compete with anyone, with bad defense we lose to Ga State. Bad defense makes the pitching look a lot worse and I think is the key to our consistency and competitiveness.
  • Pitching this weekend:
View attachment 10219

Stinson's best game of the year was against Pitt. He pitches like that it's a close game (with good defense on our part). If he pitches like the other three, :) Go figure.
View attachment 10220

Williams looks like their most consistent pitcher.
View attachment 10221

Carey's latest outing was a 6 inning shutout against ND. Before that, ehhhh. Go figure.
View attachment 10222

• What I noticed is these guys don't get a lot of SO or BB. So a lot of balls put in play must be put out. To date, Duke has given up 84 runs with 73 earned. Better than our runs/ER %.
Jenkins is definitely the best defensive first baseman, but you can't take Compton's bat out of the lineup. I'd put Compton at DH like he was used last weekend. It leaves Reid out of the lineup, but he has struggled lately. If CDH wants to play Reid, he could slide into RF with Deleo or Gonzalez moving to CF, too.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Jenkins is definitely the best defensive first baseman, but you can't take Compton's bat out of the lineup. I'd put Compton at DH like he was used last weekend. It leaves Reid out of the lineup, but he has struggled lately. If CDH wants to play Reid, he could slide into RF with Deleo or Gonzalez moving to CF, too.
I'd like CDH to put best defensive lineup out there. Send message. Defense or bust!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke has a 10 rpi and we have a 40 rpi since they have played and largely beaten highly ranked rpi teams. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/schedule/Duke So us winning the series at Duke would help our rpi and maintain our current rankings. Lose and we move backward. Sweep and we move ahead a bit.

Starts with winning today. We haven't won a Friday game in a month (since NC State).

1616762345481.png

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe he’ll be in shape very soon. There was a small scrimmage this week and he was throwing very well. 2 innings with 3ks and no walks. 92-94 and off speed looking good as well.
I had to look that up.....
Quantum Field Theory - very relevant to baseball and everyone on this site should know that...! :)