Dropped Balls

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No they aren't. Preparation doesn't mean things don't happen when the other team steps on the field, too. I think our guys were prepared to play and were ready to give the #1 team in the country a fight. We absolutely made some mistakes. But we lost because UGA is a better team. With our level of talent we had to be perfect and we weren't.

Don't get me wrong, here. We need to do a better job of not shooting ourselves in the foot especially when playing the #1 team in the country in their place. Not excusing the drops and other issues. I don't know how much more our coaches could have done to alter the result of today's game.
The coaches can only put the players in position to be successful. The players have to execute unless it is beyond what they are capable of doing. A TE or WR with bad hands is a liability but all players drop one now and then.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Pump the brakes fellas. UGA struggled with Vandy and most likely their players weren't too concerned with GT. It may have been a refreshing game plan and effort, but just staying around good teams only to lose soundly is not the upside I want to see. IHCBK is growing on me, but it still feels much riskier than other more proven hires. I will complain a bit if BK is hired, but at least a minority part of me holds some optimism.

I also think we need new coordinators, but of the two I could stomach Thacker staying around.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, we have some holes. Hopefully, with a spring and fall practice we can find someone to fill those spots. No way we don’t have guys on the roster right now with the size and speed to play TE. I look at Jenkins. A big body with so so hands and zero breakaway speed. His shot at the NFL is at TE not WR. Train him up and he’s a perfect TE. Blackburn has the go to WR position taken for the foreseeable future. McCollum and Rutherford have the slots covered along with Haynes. And there are a lot of average punters out there. Just give a preferred walk on to one and let’s move on.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
We got Blackburn who basically has NFL TE size. We'd rather play the others for some reason. Maybe we saved his redshirt?
Blackburn played quite a bit today at wr, the position that he plays. And he does not have nfl size at TE, he is pretty skinny

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Pump the brakes fellas. UGA struggled with Vandy and most likely their players weren't too concerned with GT. It may have been a refreshing game plan and effort, but just staying around good teams only to lose soundly is not the upside I want to see. IHCBK is growing on me, but it still feels much riskier than other more proven hires. I will complain a bit if BK is hired, but at least a minority part of me holds some optimism.

I also think we need new coordinators, but of the two I could stomach Thacker staying around.
UGA did not struggle with Vandy. They won 55-0 and were leading 28-0 at halftime.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Blackburn played quite a bit today at wr, the position that he plays. And he does not have nfl size at TE, he is pretty skinny
The Top NFL TEs playing against NFL size defenses are 6'5 250. He's 6'5 230 out of HS. Unless he's got Calvin Johnson talent, he's gonna be a TE. He's currently 20-25 lbs lighter than all Pros, but he's also playing against college DBs and lBs. I'm not 6'5 so I'm not sure how 230 hangs on a 6'5 body, but I'm guessing skinny is not it. The mutt TE is same weight and 1 inch shorter. He seems to be doing ok. Blackburn would light it up as a TE & the fact we're burying him on the depth chart and playing others is a no brainer.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Seemed liked after the dropped pass that would have been a big gainer, Ugag defense decided to wake up and it was tough sledding from there for our offense. A couple of beneficial Zebra calls aided in 2 of their drives resulting in no points and we couldn't capitalize.

Our effort was better today than any other Ugag game since 2016. The talent gap is still huge but we didn't roll over like we have the last few years.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Key should have moved Blackburn to TE for the rest of the season and found opportunities for him. If not Blackburn, then someone else.

We have an offense designed to get the ball to the TE in space. But we have TEs who can't catch.

For me - this is the biggest coaching fail for Key. Otherwise, he did an outstanding job as interim.

/

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Key should have moved Blackburn to TE for the rest of the season and found opportunities for him. If not Blackburn, then someone else.
What makes more sense would have been Jenkins to TE and Blackburn to WR with Carter. Blackburn was hurt for a bulk of the year, so maybe that contributed.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
What makes more sense would have been Jenkins to TE and Blackburn to WR with Carter. Blackburn was hurt for a bulk of the year, so maybe that contributed.

Exactly! Or both of them.

Key fixed most of the obvious flaws and made us a better team except the TE spot.

/

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly! Or both of them.

Key fixed most of the obvious flaws and made us a better team except the TE spot.

/

I recall there was alot of bluster during Blackburn recruiting on if he was a TE or WR. He didnt want to be a TE so considering circumstances I understand not making that immediate change especially thru all coaching change etc you would have just basically helped him make a transfer decision. Now not sure if he wont eventually end up at TE maybe needing a little more equity in trusting his coaches. He could be a decent WR or a really good TE ultimately but you got to have that buy in.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
This is correct. Our TEs have stone hands and also whiffed a ton of blocks throughout the season. Punting is a clown show and I hope whoever is coaching next year brings in some new TEs and for gods sake a new punter
UGA has a plethora of 4 and 5 star TE's, surely one or two of them want more playing time, rather than ride the bench or play only on specialty teams. TE must be a priority in recruitment or the transfer portal.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
The Top NFL TEs playing against NFL size defenses are 6'5 250. He's 6'5 230 out of HS. Unless he's got Calvin Johnson talent, he's gonna be a TE. He's currently 20-25 lbs lighter than all Pros, but he's also playing against college DBs and lBs. I'm not 6'5 so I'm not sure how 230 hangs on a 6'5 body, but I'm guessing skinny is not it. The mutt TE is same weight and 1 inch shorter. He seems to be doing ok. Blackburn would light it up as a TE & the fact we're burying him on the depth chart and playing others is a no brainer.
Darren Waller was a wide receiver under CPJ. And learned how to block first and foremost. He has turned into a great pro TE. I'm in agreement on trying Blackburn at TE provided he is willing to change positions. Or get one of the seven TE's from Athens to come over, yikes, they have a stockpile over there.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jenkins should be a TE. He is slower and doesn’t have the hands of Blackburn. Jenkins would be a heck of a TE with potential for the NFL. At WR Jenkins is very limited to jump ball type plays.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot are serviceable, but it is futile to have an offense that focuses on them at GT IMO.
A TE is valuable in short yardage situations and on the goal line. They also need to be good blockers. I wouldn't want an offense based on that position. We certainly have not used that position as much this year as I expected with CL as OC. Must be a reason---ummmm.