Draft: Am I wrong?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else think the draft was a good sign for this upcoming season? FSU,Clemson, and UNC all lost some talented guys. It would be disturbing if it continues into next year's draft(I expect it won't, with good combines we have 3 minimum to be drafted), but it leaves me pumped for next year. We were so close in the Miami, VT, and Clemson games. Maybe their loss of talent, our upperclass laden team, and a dynamic QB add up to help us take the ACC crown.

Side note: I think Miami loses more with Mike James than a mid round player. Duke is awesome, but James was the real workhorse. It will be interesting to see if Duke can shoulder the load alone.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke will snap in half if someone can actually catch him. He's a small shifty kid. I don't think he can handle the bulk of the carries. Who do you think gets drafted off of this years team?

thwgjacket

Our defense is actually highly rated on draft boars respective to their class. Hunt-Days is an eventual lock barring injury. I think Jemea Thomas and Attaochu are locks for next year with Johnson as an udfa and Golden possibly getting drafted if he leaves early.

Ramblinwreck7

Georgia Tech Fan
Seniors? I think Attaochu, Young, and Jemea all get drafted. I wouldn't be surprised if I. Johnson was picked too(3 year starter with tons of experience). All of the senior defensive starters have a shot as well with the switch to the new scheme. All it takes it one stepping up and having a great year. If Sims has the year that I expect from him, he will have a shot too. He will be forced to have a great year though.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It all depends on the combine and if we have a decent defense.
Jemea, Young, and Sneezy all could go up to second round with good years and even better workouts. Dieke, Watts, and Johnson all have the physical attributes to move into the draft by doing the same. As Stephen Hill has proven, if you have the measurables and can play, they will draft you even if you're a little raw.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think Dieke could be one of the dark horses for the draft. If he has a decent season and runs somewhere in the 4.7 range at the combine, he combine he could go as high as the third round. He has the ideal size for a NFL DE

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Watts would prob be best suited as SS. He's another who could really light it up at the combine. If Hunt-Days has a stellar season and projected the #1 LB I think he will declare.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CUmmings will get drafted and Dieke might as well but will get signed somewhere IMO.

I think all these guys will be on an NFL squad next year:

Dieke
Cummings
Sneezy
Watts
J Thomas
L Young
I Johnson

So 7 out of 11 is pretty amazing if my prediction was to actually happen.
Keep in mind Jabari will definitely be in the NFL and Golden,Gotis,Nealy all are probable which would make us 11 for 11. Does anyone think I am off here?
Crenshaw might get on a practice squad as a pass rusher.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
You expect too much from DL guys that have never produced for us before. Dieke and Cummings will need to have all conference sort of years to have a chance to get drafted, I could see practice squad though. Isiah Johnson can't F@47;$@ tackle or cover, no way in hell he gets drafted or sticks to a squad. I agree the others possibly getting drafted or UDFA

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Cummings has really came on strong this spring and looked like one of the better D players.

Isiah Johnson does have some issues but he played pretty well after the scheme switch.

Gotis has been a beast too and has great measureless.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Stephen hill underproduced, but was big and fast and had a fairly good combine. Ansah didn't have a top 10 year and he was drafted up there because of his size and speed. If your big and can run a good 40, even if you don't look elite on tape. You can greatly increase your draft stock. Had Hill not have worked out last year he woulda been taken in the 5th round at best.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I. Johnson has the measurables, covers decently and hits hard. Pursuit angles, wrapping-up, and a seeming tendency to take plays off seem to be his downside to me. I would be surprised if he goes undrafted (pro-scouts still seem to emphasize the measurables).

As I look at that list of our seniors on D, I'm struck by how bad we've been. We've had flashes of greatness from all of them and then long periods where they've all just disappeared, either by scheme, injury or both.

I am really hopeful for this season. Roof's Auburn years are clearly an anomaly that must be chalked up to Chizik and meltdown at the school. For as bad as Roof's numbers were in 2011, Van Gorder's were much worse in 2012, and Van Gorder didn't have to partner with Mahlzahn on the other side of the ball.

Gojackets55

Banned
Just because you arent drafted dosen't mean you are not a great college player. Collin Klein was not drafted and I would take him in a heart beat.