Down to Earth or Sky is the Limit? Another I am bored and need the season to start thread

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We know the positives

New D scheme with more passion
New Kicker for field goals and TBs
Golden all year at KO and Punt Return
Vad should pass through Tevin's ceiling at some point
Experienced solid OL

But what are the negatives to keep us down to earth?

DL untested and unproven?
New safeties starters (except they played for the USC game)?
Vad's constancy (higher ceiling but less experience)
OL dented and banged
No proven Orwin replacement (someone must step up)

I really want to believe that this is a new defensive team and not a version or continuation of 2012. Adam, Attaochu, and Cummings along with Gamble and Green should be a strong DL that will pressure the QB. Can they stop the run? Our LB should be a solid group, but many missed spring practice. I have faith in Milton, and I hope Golden can develop a mean streak the team needs. The CB should be a solid group. I sure hope Isaiah gets in the grove before Duke, UNC, VT, Miami gauntlet. Can the D be strong enough to help us win a 6 to 3 game?

The OL is experienced but banged up and some missed all of spring and most of fall camp. Will our OL strength become our weakness? The BBs will be stronger and healed. The ABs have solid depth. All three QBs will be good to go and I know Vad will raise up as the year progresses. I think we have WRs with the hands, but can they block? Will we see video game numbers or soccer scores?

My heart says we can beat every team we play, but my mind says no more than 8 wins.... enough speculation, come on season!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way because I think O. Smith had excellent vision and is one of my favorite players from last year's team, but I think whichever big A-Back playing opposite Robbie is going to put up good numbers. This may be a combination, but I think Synjyn or Dion could have breakout years in terms of yards per carry average. I think Orwin was able to take advantage of tremendous blocking with Roddy and Robbie, his vision allowed him to pick his holes correctly and his size allowed him to run through arm tackles. I think the smaller A-Backs will be need to be more elusive, but Dion and Synjyn are big enough to break the arm tackles. Then again, I could be full of it.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Orwin had some great timing and elusiveness to help avoid early trouble in the back field. I will also add that Day's and Robbie blocked well for Orwin. Lastly, Orwin was almost always headed somewhere and seldom slowed down with indecision in the back field.

Robbie put up almost the same YPC as Orwin. All the other A backs had good YPC numbers per other system, but consistently less than Orwin or Robbie. Orwin hit the edge better than the other A Backs and Robbie was able to find seams/more fearless than the other Abacks. The main observation I have will the rest of the pack running is slowing down, indecision, and not hitting a seem or the edge. Anyone can have a great run in free space from excellent blocks. The great ones are the Abacks that can break out after poor blocks.

I really liked Perkin's run in the scrimmage.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice summary, op. I would only clarify that 3 of our starting four dl--attaochu, Cummings, and Dieke--have played a lot of snaps for us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As of today my prediction is 8-4. I think 9 or 10 wins are possible, but I've been guilty of letting preseason optimism inflate my win prediction each of the last 3 years. Until I actually see the D improvement, see the WRs catching balls, and see Vad improve his reads it's tough to predict more than 8 wins given the schedule we have this year.

I definitely think 9 wins is more likely than 7 though because I think CPJ has effectively built a floor on our win total with the young guys starting to come up through the ranks. The quantity of redshirts is going to pay dividends in the next couple of years, making those 6 and 7 win years far more unlikely.