Dorms

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
I entered in the summer of '68, lived in Towers dorm on the Interstate side, No AC, smelled the Varsity 24/7. Vietnam was raging, hippies were on 10th street. I was on probation after my 2nd quarter, had to talk my way back in by the spring of '69. Couldn't drop classes and still keep my student deferment. Had to have at least 12 hours per quarter to stay out of draft in '69, or '70 ? But still, despite the pressure, I learned a lot and fell in love with "Ma Tech". Sports , and FB in particular was my passion and distraction. I spent waaaay too much time watching practice at Rose Bowl - instead of studying. Somehow, by the grace of God, I got out in winter quarter of '73 a more mature and focused person.
So for over 50 years , I have lived and breathed all things Tech. Ask Mrs. Sheboygan about that. I ALMOST became a full time Badger Fan during TFG years, but the hiring of Key has renewed my passion. He is one of us ! He gets it ! He may not be wildly successful, but I know one thing. He will give it everything he has got for the school he loves.
That certain almost intangible connection to Tech will get the most a man/woman can give. Will it be enough ? Who knows at this point ? But I do know Key will not tolerate mediocrity from players or staff, and he will not be looking for his next step up the ladder. He doesn't want flash and distraction. He wants dedication and maximum effort. Discipline and hard work. It's a new day and I could not be more excited.
I enrolled in the Fall of '67. Towers, interstate side. Room 222. After about 3 - 4 nights, I heard nothing. Communal bath/shower. One pay phone on the hall - "HEYYYYYYYY, MIKE, GET THE EFFING PHONE - IT'S SUSIE"

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I enrolled in the Fall of '67. Towers, interstate side. Room 222. After about 3 - 4 nights, I heard nothing. Communal bath/shower. One pay phone on the hall - "HEYYYYYYYY, MIKE, GET THE EFFING PHONE - IT'S SUSIE"
Glad you didn't ruin that room. That was my room as a freshman in the '81. Except for some paint, I doubt much changed unless you had new "green monster" closets (they'd seen better days for sure).

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was Techwood...south wing, 1st floor, south side of the hall. Window opened onto the housing project. Moved to north side of the hall in 2nd quarter.
One of my jobs when I was at Tech was dorm repairs. Minor stuff like fixing interior doors, patching holes in the wall, disassembling sky racks people abandoned. Stuff like that.

One day I was given a work order to add a second bookshelf in one of the rooms in Techwood. Supposedly, all two person rooms in Towers, Techwood, Smith, etc (the old dorms) had two bookshelves, but this one didn't. Someone noticed, so I needed to install one. SOP was to drill a pair of holes in the concrete blocks between rooms, epoxy big expensive thingamabobs into the holes, then bolt the bookshelf to those.

I go drilling into the interior (between rooms) wall at Techwood, and when the drill breaks through into the void in the block, I see light through the hole. Turns out, Techwood didn't have concrete block walls. Just a thin 3" wall of concrete and lath. Awesome. See: How to turn a 30 minute job into a few hours of patching, painting, etc.

Ultimately, I installed the bookshelf on an exterior wall, which was thick enough to drill into.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Towers Room 207 Freshman year. Ended up marrying a girl from Harrison many, many years after graduating.

Also, when did the dorms become coed?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Smith...don't remember the room number, just remembered it was on the second floor next to the corner bathroom. Which meant I heard BOTH doors shutting early in the morning. Got duped into the Freshmen Experience and some of my HS buddies got the sweet Olympic dorms across campus.

Yeah, I'm still not over that...but my hall mates were awesome. Very fun group.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Since we’re on it, when I was in Glenn, my roommate and I thought it would be awesome to have a pool table in our room.

As a freshman in 1962, I was assigned Glen 314. In those days, Glen 314 was a 2 room "suite" with double deck military
style bunk beds. We had two sophomores and two freshmen in the suite. Obviously, in those days, we had no
air conditioning, no phone except a pay phone down the hall, community shower, steam heat, no TV. Also, no cars for
freshmen unless you parked on Techwood which was a city street.

Room was directly across Techwood from the old Naval Armory, now the Edge Center.

In 1962, the upper East stands were being added to the Stadium. The construction noise in our room made it rather difficult
to get in much study time in during daylight hours.

Just a story from the Old Days!

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
As a freshman in 1962, I was assigned Glen 314. In those days, Glen 314 was a 2 room "suite" with double deck military
style bunk beds. We had two sophomores and two freshmen in the suite. Obviously, in those days, we had no
air conditioning, no phone except a pay phone down the hall, community shower, steam heat, no TV.

Just a story from the Old Days!
The only changes in Glenn 25 years later were a phone in each room and it had been flipped to a women's dorm. It still had urinals in the community restrooms circa 1987...

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in Towers in ‘75, Glenn in ‘76. My daughter got my exact same corner room in Glenn her first semester at GT last year…what are the odds of that?

Here’s my favorite dorm story: I was a senior hanging around talking to friends when a few first semester freshmen were talking next to us. One of them tells their group “hey I heard Techwood is awful, luckily I didn’t get it, I’m in McDaniel”.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was in Towers in ‘75, Glenn in ‘76. My daughter got my exact same corner room in Glenn her first semester at GT last year…what are the odds of that?

Here’s my favorite dorm story: I was a senior hanging around talking to friends when a few first semester freshmen were talking next to us. One of them tells their group “hey I heard Techwood is awful, luckily I didn’t get it, I’m in McDaniel”.
You know almost every one under the age of 35 most likely won't understand the Techwood and McDaniel reference.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Smith 1997. Room 426 facing south. Some great memories bringing a chair and a cooler of beer to the parking lot out front and just watching Freaknik happen right in front of the dorm on North Avenue. lol. Wonder if the food at Britain has gotten any better?

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve heard the Death March of Brittain is not so bad now, although my kid usually goes to N Ave dining and says it’s ok.

You might recall the typical bathroom graffiti: be sure to flush twice?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Smith 1997. Room 426 facing south. Some great memories bringing a chair and a cooler of beer to the parking lot out front and just watching Freaknik happen right in front of the dorm on North Avenue. lol. Wonder if the food at Britain has gotten any better?
No, it hasn't based on what I ate there in 2021...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No, it hasn't based on what I ate there in 2021...
I am in shock and awe. Such optimism and faith in the human condition. I would no more walk into that place expecting a good meal as I would walk into the Skiles building expecting to enjoy the next 90 minutes of a calculus lecture. That place (Ma Tech) robbed me of my youthful enthusiasm. ;)

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am in shock and awe. Such optimism and faith in the human condition. I would no more walk into that place expecting a good meal as I would walk into the Skiles building expecting to enjoy the next 90 minutes of a calculus lecture. That place (Ma Tech) robbed me of my youthful enthusiasm. ;)
Breakfast there wasn't bad in the '80's.

But Junior's was better (and less expensive).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Breakfast there wasn't bad in the '80's.

But Junior's was better (and less expensive).
100% agree with the last statement and somewhat agree with the first one as well. With this caveat - it is really, really hard to mess up eggs, grits and bacon! (especially when served to young men in their late teens.) At that age, I thought the V and Zesto's was fine dining and Long John Silver's was gourmet sea food. To make food so bad that an 18 year old me didn't like took a "special set of skills".