Dontae Smith leading ACC in YAC

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
More then that, I think. Dontae needs more carries. The only RB we have (well … in that position, at least) who runs as hard is Mason. As I said earlier, give me a guy who's hard to bring down over a speed back any day of the week. When he's on the field, he reminds me of Emmitt Smith.

Tied with Jim Brown with my favorite RB ever, btw.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I am really excited about this group. Collectively, this may be or certainly has the potential to be the best group on the campus at any one time in my recollection. And, I don't think any other team in college has a group any better than this either.
I guess the cupboard wasn't so bare after all.

But I really need to express how impressed I've been with CTC. That man is straight up coaching is butt off! We need to do everything to make sure he does not get poached.

LibertyTurns

Banned
More then that, I think. Dontae needs more carries. The only RB we have (well … in that position, at least) who runs as hard is Mason. As I said earlier, give me a guy who's hard to bring down over a speed back any day of the week. When he's on the field, he reminds me of Emmitt Smith.

We’re got a great blend of RBs. Gibbs has the speed, Mason & Smith are your workhorses that are going to consistently get those tough yards & then there’s Griffin who looks to me like a hybrid, not quite blazing fast but not easy to take down. It’s certainly the strength of our football team.

Odd though that we won the game where we ran the least. It’s was almost 50-50 run/pass at FSU. You’d think we need to be running more. Maybe if we were running Dontae more we’d have a lot fewer INTs?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This. I said the same thing in terms of getting Smith the ball more. He seems to have flipped a switch between last year and this year. He's stronger, more explosive, and seems to be running with authority. That's what a full season in a system will get you...blows your mind to think what Gibbs will look like next season. :oops: Kudos to Choice who has had a very noticeable impact on our RB group.

There's a case to be made that Smith is our 2nd best RB this year...which says a LOT about him since Griffin is also playing REALLY well. I actually think Smith is more explosive in the first 3 yards than Gibbs is, but Gibbs is just a fantastic natural runner overall.

This is a good problem to have. I hope we have this problem at every single position on offense and defense soon.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
They are all playing well. There is really no drop off when any of them are in the game. Skillsets are a little different but they complement each other well.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This. I said the same thing in terms of getting Smith the ball more. He seems to have flipped a switch between last year and this year. He's stronger, more explosive, and seems to be running with authority. That's what a full season in a system will get you...blows your mind to think what Gibbs will look like next season. :oops: Kudos to Choice who has had a very noticeable impact on our RB group.

There's a case to be made that Smith is our 2nd best RB this year...which says a LOT about him since Griffin is also playing REALLY well. I actually think Smith is more explosive in the first 3 yards than Gibbs is, but Gibbs is just a fantastic natural runner overall.

This is a good problem to have. I hope we have this problem at every single position on offense and defense soon.
It's hell having 4 good running backs and getting all of them 20 touches ( ain't it a great problem )

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But I really need to express how impressed I've been with CTC. That man is straight up coaching is butt off! We need to do everything to make sure he does not get poached.

We have heard the phrase 'iron sharpens iron" a lot since CGC set fet on campus. Coach Coleman and Coach Coleman are setting a high bar (perhaps Coach Key too) on this staff. You can see their guys get better. At the end of the day, that IS coaching. And all that we ask mostly of our coaches, make your guys better than they were last week, last month or last year. Whether you have been delt a hand full of 2 stars or 5 stars. Are they getting better under your watch?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's hell having 4 good running backs and getting all of them 20 touches ( ain't it a great problem )

Fortunately the paradigm has shifted for players at this position over the years. they used to want to be "the man". Now they understand that spreading the wealth is better for them long term if they see a carreer in this sport.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The cupboard was indeed very full in that group. If RB was the only position, we might be the national champs this year.;)
I see what you did there lol. Yes but we also have some good guys on defense too. And as you pointed out already, CMC is killing it as well. If we could get some quality and large size DT's, we should be set. I wonder how much better this defense would be if BA were still with us, RIP.