Don’t give up in them yet

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The start to this season both on the court and off has been terrible and a bit unlucky but some may be karma.
That being said we are only one game off where many thought we’d be at this point without Okogie. Ben has been playing on one foot. This break couldn’t come at a better time both physically and mentally for the program. It’s been a whirlwind on and off since October 2nd.
I feel like if we get healthy and can regroup mentally we can still have a good season. Coming back we need to win the ones we’re supposed to and upset UGA. If we do that then postseason is back into play entering ACC play. If we can go 11-7 then we will be on the bubble with a chance especially with committee taking Okogie injury into play.
Don’t give up on this team and staff. Let’s get behind them and give them a chance to regroup during this much needed break.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The start to this season both on the court and off has been terrible and a bit unlucky but some may be karma.
That being said we are only one game off where many thought we’d be at this point without Okogie. Ben has been playing on one foot. This break couldn’t come at a better time both physically and mentally for the program. It’s been a whirlwind on and off since October 2nd.
I feel like if we get healthy and can regroup mentally we can still have a good season. Coming back we need to win the ones we’re supposed to and upset UGA. If we do that then postseason is back into play entering ACC play. If we can go 11-7 then we will be on the bubble with a chance especially with committee taking Okogie injury into play.
Don’t give up on this team and staff. Let’s get behind them and give them a chance to regroup during this much needed break.
I'm not backing down on my support. I'll cheer them on win, lose, or draw like I do every game. Even though we hit a rough stretch, I'm still very excited about the direction of the program and the energy surrounding it. I like what I have seen out of the freshman and their play will only get better as they gain more experience.

Go Jackets!!!!

Deleted member 2897

News flash - we won't go 11-7.

The program is moving in the right direction. We have another great class coming in next year. But the reality is we were without 2 of our top 3 guys for a few games and we'll miss Okogie in particular for a ton of them. You can't just remove 16 points of offense from our team and expect to win a lot of games. And a couple of our guys have been banged up too, which isn't getting headlines (Lammers rolled his ankle pretty good). We're playing 3 and 4 people on the court at the same time who have never played college basketball before. We're not good enough to do that yet. We'll get better as the season goes. I'm still hoping for 18 wins, but I know its going to be a long slog.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who abandons at this moment , given the unprecedented pre- and early-season developments, is an a** hat. Objectively, you’ve got to see the entire team at-play, coaches and players. In this odd season, we have not had the luxury of a full team focused on basketball. From dark clouds, to suspensions, indefinite dismissals, injuries, new coach with scouting duties, players hitting game-winner for other team - it’s early in season and I’ve went palm of hand to forehead WAY too much. Can’t recall a beginning of the season this unpredictable. So c’mon, you gotta hold judgement until you see full-strength arsenal on display.

Deleted member 2897

Anyone who abandons at this moment , given the unprecedented pre- and early-season developments, is an a** hat. Objectively, you’ve got to see the entire team at-play, coaches and players. In this odd season, we have not had the luxury of a full team focused on basketball. From dark clouds, to suspensions, indefinite dismissals, injuries, new coach with scouting duties, players hitting game-winner for other team - it’s early in season and I’ve went palm of hand to forehead WAY too much. Can’t recall a beginning of the season this unpredictable. So c’mon, you gotta hold judgement until you see full-strength arsenal on display.

Right. Like the players always say, if you ain't riding with them when things are tough, don't come back and wanna catch a ride when things are going well later.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

Karma?? Karma for what?? If anything we deserve good karma for what we've had to endure over the last 10 plus years. Jeez....

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Why can’t we ever find a shooter? We’ve had some decent shooters. Never anyone like that young man last night or the dukies since Cremins. I wish we could get someone that could just bang down the wide open 3 that we seem to miss so friequently.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why can’t we ever find a shooter? We’ve had some decent shooters. Never anyone like that young man last night or the dukies since Cremins. I wish we could get someone that could just bang down the wide open 3 that we seem to miss so friequently.
Marvin Lewis
Anthony Morrow
BJ Elder
Chris Bosh
Thaddeus Young
Lewis Clinch (Sometimes)
MGH - got better over time

Unfortunately, those were mostly Cremins/Hewitt recruits. Shooters were absent in the Gregory years; Hopefully Pastner can pull in some assassins. But man, ML, AM, and BJ could fill it up from downtown. I remember a game against Duke where BJ and Reddick were trading 3's like nobody else was even on the court.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one that sees that Alvarado is 15-39 from deep, including 10 for his last 20? Haywood is 13-26. We have found a couple shooters. Devoe and Sjolund can both shoot and are coming next year. The comment in the other thread about "violent cuts" rings true. You cant half *** it in this offense. Okogies greatest asset is that he never stops playing hard. Curtis needs to be aggressive and work for those shots because if he is open and gets a good look that thing is cash money.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Not critiquing Big Daddy Buzz, but feeling the need to start a thread titled this way indicates how there has been an influx of insane fans on these bball pages. Really bizarre.

I know "insane fans" is redundant. Fans are fanatics by definition. I just have never understood how that fanaticism gets so easily displayed publicly in a pessimistic and negative direction on fan boards. The psychology of positive exuberance being displayed publicly makes more sense to me. The opposite naturally exists, but I do wish it wouldn't be made public because it actually is counter-productive to the good of a program; thereby, making the fandom of the person seem false. (And that last clause leads to the endless round and rounds of "you aren't a real fan," "who are you to say who a real fan is?" "rabble rabble rabble"). Pretty soon the Swarm is the Hive or Stingtalk.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pretty soon the Swarm is the Hive or Stingtalk.

1233.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pea I was going to mention those stats.
Curtis is 50% from three. Jose is 38.4%. Those are really good for FR, especially ones not getting alot of support.
Last year only 1 player shot over 32.5%, that was Josh at 38.7%.
As mentioned Devoe is a good shooter from all 3 levels (7-11 from three and 18-24 overall at the recent Hoopsgiving event) and Sjolund is a really good shooter with deep range.
also, Phillips shot over 37% over 2 yrs from 3 at TN.

We have a couple guys now on the roster and more coming who can shoot.
We are not in a rebuild where it is all going to turn around in one year.

I've probably been more pleased with the overall play of Jose and Curtis than disappointed with the losses to this point. That's mainly because I am pretty good at putting off immediate gratification.
I see some long term positives, even if the current performance hasn't been too pretty.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not critiquing Big Daddy Buzz, but feeling the need to start a thread titled this way indicates how there has been an influx of insane fans on these bball pages. Really bizarre.

I know "insane fans" is redundant. Fans are fanatics by definition. I just have never understood how that fanaticism gets so easily displayed publicly in a pessimistic and negative direction on fan boards. The psychology of positive exuberance being displayed publicly makes more sense to me. The opposite naturally exists, but I do wish it wouldn't be made public because it actually is counter-productive to the good of a program; thereby, making the fandom of the person seem false. (And that last clause leads to the endless round and rounds of "you aren't a real fan," "who are you to say who a real fan is?" "rabble rabble rabble"). Pretty soon the Swarm is the Hive or Stingtalk.

It is being moderated to turn it into bbuzzoff imo.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Marvin Lewis
Anthony Morrow
BJ Elder
Chris Bosh
Thaddeus Young
Lewis Clinch (Sometimes)

Unfortunately, those were mostly Cremins/Hewitt recruits. Shooters were absent in the Gregory years; Hopefully Pastner can pull in some assassins. But man, ML, AM, and BJ could fill it up from downtown. I remember a game against Duke where BJ and Reddick were trading 3's like nobody else was even on the court.
Adam Smith

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Marvin Lewis
Anthony Morrow
BJ Elder
Chris Bosh
Thaddeus Young
Lewis Clinch (Sometimes)

You sure that wasn’t UNC and McCants? Maybe I am just drawing a blank on the game you’re referring to, which would be a shame

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've learned from observing football coaches that you don't know what you have until the 3rd year.

Ross won 3 games total his first 2 years, then finished the 3rd year on a 7-0 run.
O'Leary was .500 his first 2 years then reeled off 5 AP top 25 teams in a row.
Whether people want to hear it or not, Johnson was 20-7 his first two years, then went 6-7 his 3rd year. Overall, he has been mediocre since then.

Basketball is a little different, since 1 or 2 studs can turn a program around quickly. We don't have those studs, but recruiting has improved. Everyone should chill and wait until next year. If we are losing to Gramblings and Woffords next year, then it's time to complain.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If anyone wants to jump off the "band wagon", please do, especially any miserable ****s complaining in the Wofford thread who weren't here to develop an intelligent conversation on GT hoops during the collective suffering of the BG era. Go back to The Hive.

That said, thanks for showing your *** as clowns who just like to complain. The ignore function is way better in this forum.

To those who have been constructive to the ongoing conversation, whether it's being critical, disappointed, or congratulatory, via demonstration of well thought out commentary, for that, I thank you. There are many of you & I hope we're able to tune out the noise.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If anyone wants to jump off the "band wagon", please do, especially any miserable ****s complaining in the Wofford thread who weren't here to develop an intelligent conversation on GT hoops during the collective suffering of the BG era. Go back to The Hive.

That said, thanks for showing your *** as clowns who just like to complain. The ignore function is way better in this forum.

To those who have been constructive to the ongoing conversation, whether it's being critical, disappointed, or congratulatory, via demonstration of well thought out commentary, for that, I thank you. There are many of you & I hope we're able to tune out the noise.
I have barely ever used ignore on the bball board, and that is even while Gregory was coach. The influx recently, and subsequent need to press ignore has been sudden and surprising. I assume it comes from fair weather bball fans who got so excited at greatly exceeding expectations in year one they wanted to get involved. So that would be a positive. But man there has been a rash of frankly bizarre comments and takes on the lost games.

When Tech lost the Grambling State game at home, I quickly noticed that they were very likely to give CJP his very first 3 game losing streak because of the next 2 being UT and then on the road at Wofford. That actually disappointed me the most, because I was amazed at how that did not occur last season.