Domination Ratio

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

I tried to look around for some sort of stat that compares the ratio of your team's offensive yards gained versus the offensive yards your team's defense allows. Ratio'ing the numbers that way should account for different schemes of offense, possessions, etc. It also equally weighs offensive and defensive domination. That is to say, if you have an amazing defense, but your offense sucks (or vice versa), you won't show up on this list.

The attempt here is to show a statistic that attempts to take a balanced view of which team is dominating the most so far - on both sides of the ball.

I went here to the NCAA Statistics page to tabulate total offense and total defense. Then I took the ratio of the two numbers and sorted them by most dominant. I stopped after the first 19 teams.
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

Here is the result:
eQ2vqMu.jpg

Some of these teams are highly ranked. The ones who aren't have likely shot themselves in the foot with mistakes, or perhaps play in a lower conference with a weaker schedule thus far.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Good stat. I think the ypp (or ppd) ratio would be even better. But, this is still good because the fact that it's a ratio of offense to defense should account at least some for the differences in game-length/number-of-plays due to different offensive pace.

One thing I take from this is that our schedule is TOUGH. Clemson, we knew would be tough, but VT and Duke will be very tough games as well. Throw Ugag in there, who looks like another tough team (and Miami).

That UTn game - :banghead:. I think if we'd beaten them we'd be top 15 right now. Still think we have a realistic chance to be top 10 by season's end.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We haven't played the best competition, but something to keep mind: Our offense doesn't start rolling until around games 4-6. We've been putting up impressive numbers with multiple turnovers (against UT 2, against Pitt 4), and some of our key players (TQM, Benson) are playing starter minutes for the first time.

If we can clean up the turnovers, by the time we hit the meat of our schedule, I'm not sure any team wants to see this offense.

Deleted member 2897

Lots of good points in here I agree with. If we can clean up our mistakes, we could be a very very good team this year.

Duke and Virginia Tech look good, but Duke hasn't really played anybody yet. Their opponents' record is 5-9, and that includes an FCS NC Central team that is undefeated outside of Duke. So if you only count FBS teams, Duke's opponents' record is 3-8. So its still early to figure out who everyone is.

Its also interesting to note that one-third of this list (6 out of 19) is ACC schools and there is only 1 SEC School (Alabama) on this list.

And yea on possessions, your overall yardage will come out lower as a team if you're Georgia Tech. But I think that also impacts the yardage you could give up on the other side of the ball as well. So I think it (although not perfect) does a pretty good job of balancing all the differences in schemes, play styles, etc. out.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
And yea on possessions, your overall yardage will come out lower as a team if you're Georgia Tech. But I think that also impacts the yardage you could give up on the other side of the ball as well. So I think it (although not perfect) does a pretty good job of balancing all the differences in schemes, play styles, etc. out.

That's what I was saying (or trying to):
Good stat. I think the ypp (or ppd) ratio would be even better. But, this is still good because the fact that it's a ratio of offense to defense should account at least some for the differences in game-length/number-of-plays due to different offensive pace.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

One thing I take from this is that our schedule is TOUGH. Clemson, we knew would be tough, but VT and Duke will be very tough games as well. Throw Ugag in there, who looks like another tough team (and Miami).

That UTn game - :banghead:. I think if we'd beaten them we'd be top 15 right now. Still think we have a realistic chance to be top 10 by season's end.
If we beat UNC and Miami I think we will jump into the top 20 maybe even around 15 if Miami beats Duke easy and we beat Miami with ease. I honestly think we will beat everyone else minus Clemson but we can give them a good fight and still have a chance to win. I'd say VT and UGA are 50/50 right now as well. Of course for this to happen we will need to clean up on the turnovers.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not enough data yet and you need strength of defender/schedule strength... but still something to look at...

Example: UCF has only played Maryland as part of the power 5 (or Maryland and FIU). I am not ready to crown them for stats from those two games (Maryland is on their 3rd string QB).

GT has played a ok SEC team, a tough FCS team, and a bad ACC team... this is still tougher than 4 cup cakes...

Deleted member 2897

Not enough data yet and you need strength of defender/schedule strength... but still something to look at...

Example: UCF has only played Maryland as part of the power 5 (or Maryland and FIU). I am not ready to crown them for stats from those two games (Maryland is on their 3rd string QB).

GT has played a ok SEC team, a tough FCS team, and a bad ACC team... this is still tougher than 4 cup cakes...

That okay team had the game won on the road @ Florida...no small task. They could easily be undefeated.

And we outplayed the bad ACC team every bit as well as the 2 Top 10 teams did.

Deleted member 2897

@bwelbo I agree with both your statements. I hedged on the negative side on both those teams.

And I wasn't trying to be disagreeable, so I hope you didn't take it that way. Bottom line is it is really too early to use these statistics just yet. It will be interesting to take a look at them in another 3-4 weeks.

Jmonty71

Banned
O
I tried to look around for some sort of stat that compares the ratio of your team's offensive yards gained versus the offensive yards your team's defense allows. Ratio'ing the numbers that way should account for different schemes of offense, possessions, etc. It also equally weighs offensive and defensive domination. That is to say, if you have an amazing defense, but your offense sucks (or vice versa), you won't show up on this list.

The attempt here is to show a statistic that attempts to take a balanced view of which team is dominating the most so far - on both sides of the ball.

I went here to the NCAA Statistics page to tabulate total offense and total defense. Then I took the ratio of the two numbers and sorted them by most dominant. I stopped after the first 19 teams.
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

Here is the result:
eQ2vqMu.jpg

Some of these teams are highly ranked. The ones who aren't have likely shot themselves in the foot with mistakes, or perhaps play in a lower conference with a weaker schedule thus far.
On one hand, I could say... We haven't really played anyone. But, on the other, neither has half the teams on the list. Think it's too soon to go pounding our chests. Let's get by UNC and Miami and see where the chips lie. But, it does show how far off the rankings are.

Deleted member 2897

Here is the updated Domination Ratios after Week 5. We pretty much nailed our average again (offense putting up 184% of the yards that the defense allows). That enabled us to move up from #10 to #5. If we play to parity with Miami in a couple weeks and each of us put up something like 325 yards, that would drop us from 184% season to date to 164%...but that would still be top 15.

Note that I am only looking at the Top 50 Offenses and the Top 50 Defenses. So there are a couple outliers that would squeak onto this chart that I would miss. For example, georgia's offense is an abysmal 83rd, but their defense is 3rd (total yards, both), which gives them a 136% ratio. I'll extend this chart next week to include anybody top 100 to make sure its more clean. But for this week I don't mind leaving out the dwags again...I mean, their 5* top quarterback in the country threw for 84 yards. So screw them for now.

vzIj3A3.jpg

Deleted member 2897

Here is the updated Domination Ratios after Week 5. We pretty much nailed our average again (offense putting up 184% of the yards that the defense allows). That enabled us to move up from #10 to #5. If we play to parity with Miami in a couple weeks and each of us put up something like 325 yards, that would drop us from 184% season to date to 164%...but that would still be top 15.

Note that I am only looking at the Top 50 Offenses and the Top 50 Defenses. So there are a couple outliers that would squeak onto this chart that I would miss. For example, georgia's offense is an abysmal 83rd, but their defense is 3rd (total yards, both), which gives them a 136% ratio. I'll extend this chart next week to include anybody top 100 to make sure its more clean. But for this week I don't mind leaving out the dwags again...I mean, their 5* top quarterback in the country threw for 84 yards. So screw them for now.

vzIj3A3.jpg

On a side note, there is only 1 SEC team on that list, versus 7 ACC teams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's updated rankings based on Pwr5 Opponents only. Obviously, some like UCF have only played one Pwr5 opponent (Maryland). I also added rankings for differential, e.g. Offense Yards/Game - Defense Yards/Game in addition to the ratios. The Top 25 are sorted by the Yards/Play differential ranking.

upload_2017-10-2_13-6-37.png

I'm going to wait another week or two before I calculate my points/drive vs Pwr 5 stat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's the table sorting by the ratio of yds/game against pwr 5 opponents, to make the comparison with @bwelbo domination ratio easier.

upload_2017-10-2_13-15-52.png

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's threads like this that make this my goto source for Tech football. Around here you don't just beat your chest and talk about how you "dominated" some other team. Here we have people who actually go to the trouble of analyzing the results and putting "domination" into comparative perspective; i.e. the only perspective that, you know, makes sense.

Oth, it does make me wonder where everybody is finding the time to do the research and churn out these tables …

ps: I wish there was another term besides domination that was in present familiar use. Football games are sporting events, not sado-masochistic relationships.