Dolla Dolla Bill, y'all

Have you drastically reduced the use of physical cash since the pandemic arrived?

• Yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just curious if folks have significantly reduced their use of physical cash over the past 8-10 weeks.

I'm traditionally a cash & carry person for in-person buys, typically like to have $100-$200 on hand.

Granted, I've barely left my apartment the past 10 weeks, more appropriate for me than others on the board, so I've only been using card, but I'm curious if other people, who have maybe ventured out more often or are back to venturing out, are significantly using less cash?

Between Google Pay and my AMEX card, I think I'm less likely to use physical cash going forward, so wondering if others are doing so.

Deleted member 2897

Just curious if folks have significantly reduced their use of physical cash over the past 8-10 weeks.

I'm traditionally a cash & carry person for in-person buys, typically like to have $100-$200 on hand.

Granted, I've barely left my apartment the past 10 weeks, more appropriate for me than others on the board, so I've only been using card, but I'm curious if other people, who have maybe ventured out more often or are back to venturing out, are significantly using less cash?

Between Google Pay and my AMEX card, I think I'm less likely to use physical cash going forward, so wondering if others are doing so.

I haven’t been to the ATM in months. I am about to even get that there Venmo app! I am seeing more and more restaurants and small businesses offer Venmo as a touchless payment option.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I learned how to use Venmo because of the pandemic and have the exact same dash on my dresser that I had there 6 weeks ago. Well, except for whatever my wife stole

:)

I haven’t been to the ATM in months. I am about to even get that there Venmo app! I am seeing more and more restaurants and small businesses offer Venmo as a touchless payment option.

I've been WFH for 10 weeks now. I think I took cash out the last day I was at the office and almost all of it is in the spot I left it. I haven't even taken it with me when leaving the house.

Venmo is great, especially for transactions among friends. Another option offered by the big banks is Zelle, which is embedded in your online banking apps & websites.

Finally, I've been using my credit card via PayPal, unless it's a website I've used traditionally (ie - Amazon). This way you're limiting what sites have your card info.

Sidenote - I'm no fan of the GT alumni Association, but you can donate to them via Venmo.

Deleted member 2897

I've been WFH for 10 weeks now. I think I took cash out the last day I was at the office and almost all of it is in the spot I left it. I haven't even taken it with me when leaving the house.

Venmo is great, especially for transactions among friends. Another option offered by the big banks is Zelle, which is embedded in your online banking apps & websites.

Finally, I've been using my credit card via PayPal, unless it's a website I've used traditionally (ie - Amazon). This way you're limiting what sites have your card info.

Sidenote - I'm no fan of the GT alumni Association, but you can donate to them via Venmo.

My bank blocks and doesn't allow Venmo, so they can just suck it. I use credit cards instead.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My bank blocks and doesn't allow Venmo, so they can just suck it. I use credit cards instead.

Is it a large bank or a local bank? They might not like that Venmo is holding some of your cash and earning float, rather than them.

If it's a large bank, they might offer Zelle, which is a competitor.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have also been cashless for a few years.

1) Cash is disgusting, not just from Covid-19
2) It is easier than ever through the use of Venmo/ApplePay/PayPal/CC/etc to not have to worry about it

I do keep about $500 in my wallet of big bills and maybe $50 of small bills in my car for tipping, incidentals or emergency use, but haven't refilled them in a while, you can even pay most (in my area at least) parking meters via apps.

I do tip in cash for things from the car stash, which was my last use of cash and I haven't been out anywhere in the last few months to need that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

2) It is easier than ever through the use of Venmo/ApplePay/PayPal/CC/etc to not have to worry about it

I do keep about $500 in my wallet of big bills and maybe $50 of small bills in my car for tipping, incidentals or emergency use, but haven't refilled them in a while, you can even pay most (in my area at least) parking meters via apps.

I do tip in cash for things from the car stash, which was my last use of cash and I haven't been out anywhere in the last few months to need that.

Digital payments have seen massive growth for several years, but I do find it frustrating to pay via narrow use apps.

For instance, I was in Red Bank, NJ and needed to street park. The meters didn't accept change (never have that anyway), bills, or card. I had to download an app, get an account, and use my card to pay via that. It was fine, but would've been super easy if I could just PayPal it.

Milwaukee

Banned

“Yea I don’t keep cash. Only that little 5 hundo I keep on me at all times” #baller ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Midtown's that guy who tells everyone he can't drive because his car only fits 2 people...and pulls up in a Lambo. That's OK, MJ, you keep stacking those Benjamins.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
i dont really use cash. only reason i ever have cash is if i get money for xmas/birthday or sell something and they dont want to use payapl or whatever

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I usually use the DeKalb Farmer's Market as my ATM machine. I've been keeping about $30 a week in 1's and 5's to use for tipping that I've doing alot more of these days. The rest is all cards.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The only cash I've kept for like the last 10 years is for tipping. And then I keep forgetting to refill it.

Use card, wipe with isopropyl alcohol. Keep it outside the wallet after it's used. Wash all contaminated clothing.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I can’t remember the last time I had cash in my pocket other than being on vacation. It usually ends up in the tucky box in the cabinet.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Really hasn't changed for me. I still use cash for small purchases and credit cards for larger ones. The only time I have noticed is when one restaurant had a sign that they would not take cash - only credit or debit cards.