Do you believe in miracles?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Probably should have picked up on the emoji, but it just zipped passed me. I mean, I just think the big four thing prioritizes certain games that don't need to be. We have no real rivalry or connection with Miami or VT, certainly none more than Carolina or UVA, and the losses to Clemson came at a time where we had to play them on the road three out of four years. We've split the last four with them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This discussion reminds me of the ol' saying "stay close til the end then find a way to win." It's the mantra of the less talented teams and how to pull off the upset. It sounds easy, but it ain't. One might think the hardest part of that equation is the "staying close..." part. Maybe for other teams it is, but that hasn't been the case for past GT teams. For as long as I can remember we've been able to do that with the best of teams. Where we've struggled is in the "find a way to win" part.

We've been so close is so many contests in the past, but I'd wager we were really farther away than I once thought. You see, that last yard.... foot.... inch.... takes the maximum leadership, effort, skill, resolve, teamwork, faith and will. We were missing those things to the degree required to win close games. Now we got 'em, individually and collectively, and it starts from the top.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
These are typically the four toughtest opponents we play every year.

Of the set schedule: Georgia, VT, Miami, UNC, UVA, Duke and Clemson, these have been the "best" teams. Clemson has been considered good nationally and we've struggled to beat the other three consistently.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Probably should have picked up on the emoji, but it just zipped passed me. I mean, I just think the big four thing prioritizes certain games that don't need to be. We have no real rivalry or connection with Miami or VT, certainly none more than Carolina or UVA, and the losses to Clemson came at a time where we had to play them on the road three out of four years. We've split the last four with them.

I see your point that Miami and Virginia Tech are not rivals in the same sense as Uga, but they have been the biggest rivals for winning our division. At least over the past few years, they have primarily been the ones we compete with for the championship. Therefore, for example, a win against Virginia Tech gives us both a win for us and another loss for them. In other words, beating Miami and Virginia Tech over the past two years has been more beneficial than beating Syracuse, making them "bigger" games. In that sense they have been our biggest coastal division rivals.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I just think every game is equally important, and had we taken Duke and Carolina as seriously as we should have, the ACC title game would have been a de facto playoff game. I hope our program matures to that point. I was encouraged to hear Justin Thomas' response to question asking whether he took particular pleasure in beating whoever they had just beaten (think it was either UGA or Miss. St.). His response was "I take pleasure in beating everyone."

And with that we can return to your regularly scheduled programming.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just think every game is equally important, and had we taken Duke and Carolina as seriously as we should have, the ACC title game would have been a de facto playoff game. I hope our program matures to that point. I was encouraged to hear Justin Thomas' response to question asking whether he took particular pleasure in beating whoever they had just beaten (think it was either UGA or Miss. St.). His response was "I take pleasure in beating everyone."

And with that we can return to your regularly scheduled programming.

I hear you, but I'm not sure that I agree that our problem with Duke and UNC this past year was a failure to take them seriously enough. I think the Duke game came down to two issues: (1) we had a first year starting QB bring a 5-0 into the game and was perhaps a little tight. We saw the same thing--I know I may get flamed for this--when TW came out against UVA having a 6-0 record in 2011. (2) JT received a fairly significant ankle sprain that tightened-up with the long game-delay and probably played too long into the second half at below strength. I think the UNC game came down to them having a very good O and us not yet having found a solution on D.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hear you, but I'm not sure that I agree that our problem with Duke and UNC this past year was a failure to take them seriously enough. I think the Duke game came down to two issues: (1) we had a first year starting QB bring a 5-0 into the game and was perhaps a little tight. We saw the same thing--I know I may get flamed for this--when TW came out against UVA having a 6-0 record in 2011. (2) JT received a fairly significant ankle sprain that tightened-up with the long game-delay and probably played too long into the second half at below strength. I think the UNC game came down to them having a very good O and us not yet having found a solution on D.
Flaming not withstanding I agree with this wholeheartedly.

We hit a few teams at a good time for us to be playing them this year and took advantage - with UNC and Duke I think the reverse was true.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He made some bad decisions with the football, too, that had nothing to do with his injury.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Just can't stay away from the negativity can we? In a thread about miracles, we have to decry not taking Duke and UNC seriously and JT making some bad decisions.

Name me the college or pro football team that didn't have a brain fart? tOSU? FSU? Bama? The SeaHawks? There were none.

Reminds me of the quote about Florida fans - the perfect season is to go undefeated, win the NC in a game against ND, and then fire the coach as he runs off the field for all his screw-ups that season.

I think there's a good chance we win a NC in the next five years. What will you talk about then?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just can't stay away from the negativity can we? In a thread about miracles, we have to decry not taking Duke and UNC seriously and JT making some bad decisions.

Name me the college or pro football team that didn't have a brain fart? tOSU? FSU? Bama? The SeaHawks? There were none.

Reminds me of the quote about Florida fans - the perfect season is to go undefeated, win the NC in a game against ND, and then fire the coach as he runs off the field for all his screw-ups that season.

I think there's a good chance we win a NC in the next five years. What will you talk about then?
I don't get why you can't be positive and critical at the same time. I think we had an amazing season, yet I see room for improvement which I find exciting because we can be even better next year. JT's made some poor decisions but by a long shot made way many more good ones. The bad ones just kind of stick out in losses. The good news is he learns from his mistakes and he'll be better for it down the road. I saw a lot of growth in decision making throughout the season so I know he's learning.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

I think the fact that we can recall with such clarity the times we messed up should tell you how good the season was. If it was a crummy season, there would be too many to remember, but it was a great year. I'm optimistic about our future - though not nearly as optimistic as you - and think we can be better, but in my opinion, that means shedding the idea that some games are more important than others. That's all.

Berg

Georgia Tech Fan
Uga MIGHT qualify (I thought we were done), but not GSU. The turnover gave us about the same field position as a kickoff would have. If we don't get the turnover but hold them to a field goal, its reasonable to assume we still drive the length of the field and tie it up with a TD.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Weren't the Duke UNC games during Mid Terms. I have long thought that Mid terms affect focus on football and have a direct influence on focus of the team in preparation for a game. I would like to hear from some lettermen as to whether this is true or not. Seems to me it would affect film study and concentration.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Uga MIGHT qualify (I thought we were done), but not GSU. The turnover gave us about the same field position as a kickoff would have. If we don't get the turnover but hold them to a field goal, its reasonable to assume we still drive the length of the field and tie it up with a TD.

The GSU turnover was a perfect example of "luck" on the FB field. That was a call on the field that was so close you could make a case for it (the call) going either way. Who knows the impact of a loss to GSU early in the season?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If we don't have the OL and BB skill/talent to just straight up run the ball down down the friggin' throat of teams like Ugag, MSU, Miami, then luck wouldn't have mattered either. If we don't have the QB and the WR to make many crucial third down conversions, luck wouldn't have mattered. If we don't have a DB who sets his mind and body to make a crucial interception (multiple times) and defensive front 7 who shut down one of the best RB's in the country for 2 quarters and stopped Ugag with 6 tries from inside the 4, luck wouldn't have mattered. If we don't have a kicker who probably has the best leg/talent of any we've had in the past 20 years, then luck wouldn't have mattered. If we didn't have the coach(es) who knew how to put that talent in its best position for success in crucial situations, luck wouldn't have mattered. So, it works both ways.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
If we don't have the OL and BB skill/talent to just straight up run the ball down down the friggin' throat of teams like Ugag, MSU, Miami, then luck wouldn't have mattered either. If we don't have the QB and the WR to make many crucial third down conversions, luck wouldn't have mattered. If we don't have a DB who sets his mind and body to make a crucial interception (multiple times) and defensive front 7 who shut down one of the best RB's in the country for 2 quarters and stopped Ugag with 6 tries from inside the 4, luck wouldn't have mattered. If we don't have a kicker who probably has the best leg/talent of any we've had in the past 20 years, then luck wouldn't have mattered. If we didn't have the coach(es) who knew how to put that talent in its best position for success in crucial situations, luck wouldn't have mattered. So, it works both ways.

You get it vamosjacket. I think we have reached a point to where we are able to kill off bad luck and take advantage of good luck. A couple of years back, against the good teams (I didn't call them the Big Four), if we had an official miss a call or a ball bounce the wrong way, we were probably toast. Remember Sneezy's personal foul against VT? We couldn't get back up, and lost. This year, after uga returned JT's "fumble" for a TD, we were terribly flat, but we held them their next possession forcing a FG try that Gotsis blocked. Normally, uga goes down and scores a TD at that point, the rout is on, and most of our off season posts are about SEC refs.. After MSU's Hail Mary to take the momentum into the locker room at halftime, we came back out and dominated. In years past, we fall apart at that point, IMO.

Those of us that remember 1997 know that everything kind of came together about the 4th game, and we were pretty good for a long time after that. Same thing happened three games into the 1989 season. It was like a critical mass of recruiting, talent, coaching, and experience was attained, and we kept it until that coach left. That is where we are today, IMO. Further proof, uga's offense in regulation only scored the first time they had the ball and the last time. Against a defense that supposedly had no depth, gaping holes on the DL, and PJ injured sitting on the bench. IIRC, uga ran wild on Missouri, Auburn, Arkansas, Louisville; good teams all. Guys, we're there. Enjoy the ride, have some fun, look on the bright side. Sure we'll lose some games in the future. IIRC nobody went undefeated this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The GSU turnover was a perfect example of "luck" on the FB field. That was a call on the field that was so close you could make a case for it (the call) going either way. Who knows the impact of a loss to GSU early in the season?
The same could be said about every close game in the history of college football.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You get it vamosjacket. I think we have reached a point to where we are able to kill off bad luck and take advantage of good luck. A couple of years back, against the good teams (I didn't call them the Big Four), if we had an official miss a call or a ball bounce the wrong way, we were probably toast. Remember Sneezy's personal foul against VT? We couldn't get back up, and lost. This year, after uga returned JT's "fumble" for a TD, we were terribly flat, but we held them their next possession forcing a FG try that Gotsis blocked. Normally, uga goes down and scores a TD at that point, the rout is on, and most of our off season posts are about SEC refs.. After MSU's Hail Mary to take the momentum into the locker room at halftime, we came back out and dominated. In years past, we fall apart at that point, IMO.

Those of us that remember 1997 know that everything kind of came together about the 4th game, and we were pretty good for a long time after that. Same thing happened three games into the 1989 season. It was like a critical mass of recruiting, talent, coaching, and experience was attained, and we kept it until that coach left. That is where we are today, IMO. Further proof, uga's offense in regulation only scored the first time they had the ball and the last time. Against a defense that supposedly had no depth, gaping holes on the DL, and PJ injured sitting on the bench. IIRC, uga ran wild on Missouri, Auburn, Arkansas, Louisville; good teams all. Guys, we're there. Enjoy the ride, have some fun, look on the bright side. Sure we'll lose some games in the future. IIRC nobody went undefeated this year.
At the beginning of every season we wonder if this is the year we "get over the hump." This phrase suggests we are perpetually so close, but never there. As we used to say in the car as kids on long drives: "are we there yet?" I think we are, but we are teetering on top and could go either way. The real question is do we come back down the side we just climbed, or we continue over and down the other side?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So much like!