Do teams that focus on recruiting linemen play beyond their recruiting rankings?

slugboy

Staff member
I saw this question this morning--

We're playing under our recruiting rankings. One big reason is that we haven't been developing offensive linemen the way we should.

Pitt and BC both play better than their recruiting rankings rankings.

Can you think of example programs that play above their weight because they have a good system for growing offensive or defensive linemen?

verklempt saturday night live GIF

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I saw this question this morning--

We're playing under our recruiting rankings. One big reason is that we haven't been developing offensive linemen the way we should.

Pitt and BC both play better than their recruiting rankings rankings.

Can you think of example programs that play above their weight because they have a good system for growing offensive or defensive linemen?

verklempt saturday night live GIF

Wish GT could have grown more Shaq Masons…like in a vat or something

This is Georgia Tech. We can do that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't have data to support my claim but Wiscy and Iowa are two other teams that seem to do well by focusing on the recruitment and development of the big uglies. We saw it here to a bit under Ross...the OL on the 90's team was dominant. It is fun (to me) to win that way. Just line up and knock people off the ball. We saw it here again in 2014.

slugboy

Staff member
Iowa seems to recruit OK, but does really well on the lines. BYU was famous for having 24 year old linemen (after their missions). TCU was in this area for a while, but transfer-heavy before transfers were a thing.