DJ in the student section/something new for the team run-out

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Band playing while they’re out there doesn’t give anybody incentive to clear the field and not do something dumb in what is largely an uncontrollable situation. Why is that hard to grasp?
97% of first year students come back for second year. If u get in, u get out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lol yikes. Did you just type with a straight face that 404 error code is more familiar that being Atlanta area code?

As for the bolded, it’s suppose to mean less, we want the ATL metro elite athletes to take pride in the city and “make it hot again” This is part of the recruiting message

Gotta sign a bunch of them first. Here’s to hoping.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just going to say this again. Georgia Tech's phone number is 404-894-2000. The 404 branding is solely used to represent GT. It doesn't matter what area code they hand out these days. It's not meant to represent Atlanta as a whole, that's what "ATL" is for.

I thought it stood for “Above The Line.” :D

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I mean the 404 day fundraiser did good work.
I also rock the 404 hat all the time out here in Houston and get comments from Atlantans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm amazed they haven't done something like this quarterly on different levels

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
From a marketing standpoint.....the 404 is rather meaningless outside of the metro area. Add to that the overlay area codes and it becomes more meaningless. You venture outside of Georgia and you will likely have more familiarity with the 404 error code than an area code.

WRT DJ music....I guess it will depend on who it is done.........
As is usual you are overthinking. It’s another way to connect with Atlanta. Area codes are a new shorthand for where you are from or what you represent. I mean we even had a big story in the local paper about “the 336” for high school football “stars” in the area. And no it didn’t cover the whole area code but was specific to the city. Kids get it.

GT_EE78

Banned
Just going to say this again. Georgia Tech's phone number is 404-894-2000. The 404 branding is solely used to represent GT. It doesn't matter what area code they hand out these days. It's not meant to represent Atlanta as a whole, that's what "ATL" is for.
Yea , but isn't cgc also marketing ATL as "Above The Line" ?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Getting back to the original thread topic, it will be interesting to see how they mix the band playing with the DJ playing. You got to keep the old farts happy too.

Animal02

Banned
As is usual you are overthinking. It’s another way to connect with Atlanta. Area codes are a new shorthand for where you are from or what you represent. I mean we even had a big story in the local paper about “the 336” for high school football “stars” in the area. And no it didn’t cover the whole area code but was specific to the city. Kids get it.
Funny, I thought GT strived to be a national and international brand, not some regional school. As usual, people under think living in the bubble of Atlanta.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Funny, I thought GT strived to be a national and international brand, not some regional school. As usual, people under think living in the bubble of Atlanta.
Sigh. If we can’t recruit in our own backyard we won’t be successful. There are simply too many good players close to home not to do what CGC is trying to do. Recruiting nationally will hopefully come but we need a solid base and much more money to make that happen. It’s about making positive steps not getting to the end goal overnight. BTW we ARE a national and international brand as a school, we’re not there yet athletically.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I wonder if the change they’re speaking about for the run out is just the band making the 404 formation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the metro atlanta area....yes the error code will likely be more recognized.
As for recruiting......I have said for years that Tech needs to recruit nationally. The pool of recruits that A) Qualify at Tech B) Are willing to put up with the academics and C) Desire a major that is offered at Tech is quite small.
CPJ make the mistake of thinking he out recruit in Georgia, I think CGC is heading down the same wrong path.

I only lived in Atlanta for two years and haven't lived their in over 7. I'm also a web developer so I'm intimately familiar with HTTP status codes. It was immediately apparent to me that 404 referred to the area code. Using the area code as a stylized way to refer to a city or region is in no way new and it's not a difficult to concept to grasp. Disregarding that I think you're vastly overstating how many people even know the 404 HTTP code exsits, I think most people will be able to figure out what we're doing with it.

The efforts don't have to be mutually exclusive. You're really stretching here for something to complain about.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Just came back from the game. Was getting burnt to a crisp so I left early... Ok so on every 3rd down, they annouce "IT'S MONEEEYYYY DOWNNNN!!!".
You know what, let's just go back to calling it third down please? I really don't want to be like Miami Thug U.